Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 647792 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28185 on: March 16, 2024, 10:02:12 AM »

4:47 Good morning. Your report sounds pretty good Cal.  Hope your day goes well. Looks nice outside here, but is pretty cold.  38 at 10;51.
Not much to share .  Karen did bring over St. Patrick's day dinners.  We watched the gold miners after dinner.  She said she would come for lunch today.  I think I will make some of my $1 Campbell's Tomato soup.  I have seven of them.  She likes vegies more than meat, and avoids breads, except for sourdough which I never have.  I do have some salad in a bag. I think I will serve that with some pineapple chunks and sunflower seeds added. I will have a fried ham and cheese sandwich on Nickels Italian with mayo and mustard.
I will ask her to go see Bonnie for a short time.  If she says no, I will go alone. 
Not sure what Debbie is doing today. I hope she is feeling well, but I am hesitant to bother her when she has a chance to rest.
Just got a text from Drugmart.  It is a reminder that one is waiting.  I will go now and also stop for mail.
CUL EV1 GBU, Israel. Ukraine, Tweety, Larry, Alice and all those who are sufferring.

calihoula

« Reply #28186 on: March 16, 2024, 01:02:42 PM »

hi joho its very windy here chilly i opened the barn door it almost pulled me down good i had my walker next to me helped stop the door i forgot to tell you and neva yesterday i saw scout i was leaning against smokie looking at indys pasture looked over to our hayfields looked kinda around wow scout heading for me flew over me hi ya scout amazing you come back all these years your family too well awhile ago i was on the dogs deck and beautiful blue skies with white clouds there is scout riding the high winds oh i see mrs scout here now tomorrow be rest of your family i am hungry but will wait till six maybe sooner like 5:30 are you making karens lunch tomato soup and grill cheese? if so please make me a grill cheese too no tomato soup use i cant believe its butter no calories i forget what was karens st pat dinner did you like it i hope debbie is having a feel good day did karen get her ipad fixed
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #28187 on: March 16, 2024, 04:02:13 PM »

Rock and Sky ...  32:16     61°  (2:01 pm)   Sunny, a few clouds and it is breezy.

I hope all is well with everyone.   

Cal      I hope that does work out, the draining of that area.      Sweets is back to being Sweets.  I am sure he still loves you, but a goats gotta do what a goats gotta do, I guess.  I am so glad he survived that illness, and he wouldn't without you.   Glad, also, to hear that Scout is safely back to you.

We are having a Corned Beef & cabbage dinner this afternoon, rather than tomorrow.  For St. Patrick's Day.  My granddaughter, her fiancé and their little one are coming over.  I am getting over a fall I had last Sunday.  Lucky my knee hit a rug, and I didn't hit my head. 

Joho      That sandwich you were thinking of making, sounds good.  Especially on that bread.  I hope it went well.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #28188 on: March 16, 2024, 06:05:38 PM »

hi  neva im done for the day well never done but everyone fed im quitting waiting on cali she is outside last bathroom call scared me you falling neva are you okay now? yes very bad to hit ones head. were you using your walker? jim came home did indy brought in bags of pellets but i can tell barn not filling up with water as bad so hope that helped more rain next week  :(  sweets happy to see me i said i am coming in to fill your water bowl be nice he was too i did not comb him out but i patted his side he was waggin his tail he loves me but your right never forget he is a goat i know neva he was so very sick we was worried sick much rather see him jumping spinning ramming wagging his tail for me than be sick indy happy too i read that the placement of mules eyes when standing they are able to see all four of their hoofs at the same time. cali back bedtime
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #28189 on: March 17, 2024, 05:46:43 AM »

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28190 on: March 17, 2024, 05:50:06 AM »

hi you guys its 34 here 37 in ice 48 in kviv and 60 in the barn.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B1055D504337?z=0

gb little bird jims dad alice all animals all of us not you putin

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28191 on: March 17, 2024, 04:08:32 PM »

i just  came in from the barn joho where are you?

calhound

« Reply #28192 on: March 17, 2024, 04:11:31 PM »

calhound

« Reply #28193 on: March 17, 2024, 04:15:49 PM »

johoward

« Reply #28194 on: March 18, 2024, 01:36:45 AM »

It is 2am here.  I did do the puzzle this morning, but lost my time and post somehow I guess. Sorry.  I am fine just out of step today. 
Went to Karen's at 7 to watch some PBS shows.  Doc Martin and Midwives was good, but after that the dialog was not understandable.  Too much hackney accent I think.  So we played poker for a while, and ate a lot of salty snacks.  It was OK, because I had skipped dinner.  It was a blizzard when I came home at about 11.
 When I came home I watched Discovery and Animal Planet until just a few minutes ago.
Had a good visit with Bonnie for a lot of the day. She was very happy to see me. I also met a coworker from many years ago at my primary engineering career. He is a patient in the same place as Bonnie.  I saw him last time I was there, but was not at all sure it was he. This time I was able to ask a nearby nurse his name.  Sure enough he answered to his name when she called out.  We had a pretty good catch up talk.  Seems he is there for rehab after having a lot of repair work done on his heart.  It has been at least 45 years since I last saw him. A lot has changed for both of us since then.
  Debbie was not good yesterday, but was able to go out to Berea Animal Rescue to care for two dogs this afternoon.  One black one named, Brian, and one blond one named Rio.  She sent me pics of them which I shared with Bonnie.  Then I sent Bonnie's picture to Debbie and to Bonnie's kids, Annie and Billy.
Now I will say good night and hit the sack.

calhound

« Reply #28195 on: March 18, 2024, 05:27:53 AM »

Windy Day, Fisher, and Crows - UPDATE March 17, 2024

Redpoll male
With the temperature this morning at 13 degrees and wind gusts up to 21 mph, a pretty male redpoll sat with its feathers fluffed for insulation even though redpolls live mainly up toward the Arctic Ocean. For a blue jay, the wind was pushing its crest high and making it flutter in the wind. Both birds were interested mainly in sunflower seeds that some nutritionists call a super food.

Blue jay in wind
Blue jay in wind

It was good to see the male fisher doing his usual, making quick decisive movements on the second floor deck, ignoring me and just looking for food. Then his visit caused a stir. Crows covered the ground below the second floor deck eating peanuts with no shells that I had tossed out for the deer. Soon the fisher had enough on the second floor deck and descended a tree, making the crows take off as fast as a flock. The fisher had all the peanuts to himself, and he proved that he was really an omnivore by digging into the peanuts. Like the fox did and bears do, the gusts of wind put him on alert, sitting tall, listening, and smelling for danger with his mouth open as if he has a vomeronasal organ, which I don’t know. As usual, he didn’t pay attention to me in the window with a camera and let me take a shot of his long chest blaze. Then I noticed that the crows had retreated to their beaver lodge staging area where they first land upon coming here in the morning. Two days in a row I counted the crows on and around the beaver lodge and got 33 and 34, but I don’t know if they hadn’t all arrived at that point, or I was missing some on the back side of the lodge. I tried to count them but one took off and shortly they all did the same, letting me count 61 including several that are not in the picture. They landed in the usual trees, the fisher was gone, and then soon reclaimed the yard.

Fisher male
Fisher male

Crows at Beaver Lodge    Crows at Beaver Lodge
Crows on beaver lodge
The fox put a good cap on the day with his visits after making me feel good the previous evening when I saw him depart down the steps from the second floor deck and trot up the driveway heading out. I didn’t know what he’d do if I stepped out and called “Come fox” when he was over 150 feet away. To my pleasant surprise, he stopped, turned around as I said it again and looked to see what I would do next. I tossed a piece of food, and he came running the instant he heard it hit the deck. It felt good to know we were communicating.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #28196 on: March 18, 2024, 05:48:06 AM »

hi you guys its 20 here 43 in ice and volcano went again 35 in kviv 60 in the barn power went off here last night at 6 pm generator running i called my electric to report outage and the recording said out here all richmond all of lawson all surrounding areas and they did not know when be back on i upset cause last time this happened out for almost 6 hours. and it was cold i took my big spot light had it charged up out to the barn sat in on top of hay bales so i kinda light indys sweets bottom area. i could not drag out that extension cord just could not i put out more hay and went back in. went to lay down watch tv fell sleep woke up at ten and heard generator still running had tv on weather channel said temp was 32 i was upset barn be cold got up got a drink came back and power came back on! i knew light radio and heat back in barn would not take long to heat it back up went back to bed got up at 1:30 am let dogs out etc went to the barn and everyone doing good nice and warm lights on radio blaring away. got spotlight no longer lighting but i knew it was good till lights came back on. i got to pick up groceries in an hour then unload best i can jim will stop in later today he said i will get in frig stuff frozen stuff and other leave heavy stuff for him. took forever to get my computer up and running hate power going out i have a deal that will keep it going it power goes out got one for the wifi and for tv in livingroom need to hook it up on this computer. docs update nice i do believe the wind here what took out the power. was last time too.

hi joho you had a busy day and night good you got home okay with the blizzard. i saw on weather channel you had snow i like watching keeping up  record them watch them here and there seen them many times over the years rues has too and she watches brit on pbs alot we both use our close caption cause yes hard to understand sometimes.

hi neva! big suprise putin won again and no one ran against him

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/12055D55A7D2?z=0

gb all animals and all of us not you putin

johoward

« Reply #28197 on: March 18, 2024, 09:00:50 AM »

I'm back. LOL
6:28  I see those pretty houses have no back door, and that fire escape next to the only large enough window looks a little challenging to me.  I would need both hands to go down that little pipe.  How would I hold my phone?
Hi Cal, Neva, and our silent partners.
Doc has done a wonderful update again with his camera and story telling.  I like how he experiments with the animals to see if his voice will startle them.  He called and the fox came back. WOW!
I sure hope Debbie gets to experience the WRI this way when we go there in July.
I will not go out much today.  Too wintery.
I will say have a good day to you all.  Stay warm and dry.  I have two shirts on this morning, and am comfortable.  I tried one heavy flannel when I got up this morning, but did not like the chill I felt every time I  moved.
I am listening to my favorite country albums on You Tube while typing this.  Right now, "Good Old Boys Like Me".  Now "Lady".  I love it.
Well I will go now and maybe get a second coffee.
GB and GBU EV1

johoward

« Reply #28198 on: March 18, 2024, 04:56:48 PM »

I see a bear on Den Cam 5. 

neva

« Reply #28199 on: March 18, 2024, 05:11:32 PM »

House Colors ...  21:15      72°   (2:11  pm)   Sunny, but also a slightly hazy overcast...  cloudy & windy.

I hope all is well with all of you.

Cal      Do you and Jim have any electrician friends?  Maybe they could think of a safe way to permanently run a long extension cord or cable between your house and the barn, for the generator.   There has got to be a way.  A day or two ago, I watched a great program on Channel 6+  PBS  about American horse breeds, and enjoyed it so much.  The four breeds they covered were the Morgan, the Appaloosa, the Quarter Horse, and the Mustang.  They looked at four different people or families that breed them and are dedicated to them.  The people involved it this absolutely live for these horses, and I thought what a great life that would be.  I thought of you.  i use my walker inside the house now.  I was trying to close the curtain on the front window, and turned to the side of the couch and fell between the couch and the coffee table.  I was lucky, didn't hit anything vital and can still walk okay, just bruised and cut up my knee like a little kid fallen off a bike.  I try so hard with this falling thing, but have balance issues.  I am okay, just a bit sore.  I have fallen getting out of the shower before, so falling really scares me.

Joho     It sounds like your day is going along smoothly.  Good music and being warm enough and comfortable.  I am listening to Native American flute music.  It is very soothing.  Good for the heart, mind and soul.    I hope the rest of your day goes well.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)