Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 647127 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28170 on: March 13, 2024, 06:18:29 AM »

hi you guys its 48 here 36 in ice 39 in kviv and 60 in the barn we got a huge bad storm last night woke me up hail slamming i got up went in kitchen it was 8:30 so really it was 9:30 lighting heavy rain hail i could not go out to the barn i would have to get maybe and kitty boy in their carriers go out side door in garage down sidewalk i just could not. this morning earlier barn flooded in places i had to pellet that down i know sweets and indy was scared sure how loud it was in there with a metal roof. and same big storms for tonight about same time  :( i just hate spring hate it. really sorry not much of a winter and its gone already. already tons of motorcycle wrecks in hear on the radio and local news many serious or dead. missys sent me picture of her place from last night storms huge hail over her yard she was happy she put her suv in the garage and walked in her house.  i am happy kitty boy safe in the garage maybe seems happy in there too my other two birds been flying low all over the barn so happy those cats are in there too i am not happy about having to go all the way around trying to get them use to the laundry cats and them use to them. spigot dripping water out if from the barn i am getting frustrated with it told jim once about it now his dad and all but it needs to get fixed.

hi neva i really like that bowl cant be turned over i need another one for some more of my cats they think they need to kneed the water in the bowl spill it.

hi joho i would like to see that too on making a new library from gas station. sounds like a really nice building will be put up! poor karen that is frustrating computer stuff i do write down every password for all the stuff i got access too. make copies put one in a file in my cabinet says passwords i got two ipads well three but one up in closet not used for awhile and my older one when i got a new one it just transferred my stuff for me so both have my stuff my desktop here i have copies of stuff and no one messes with my computer ipad stuff but me. jim went thru a time his phone messed up and got a new one and took verizon awhile to transfer all his stuff and he showed me his new pass on it i wrote it down. i think good old days none of this but i really like to google stuff

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/54055D4D9828?z=0

gb all animals and all of us not you putin
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 06:20:13 AM by calhound »
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #28171 on: March 13, 2024, 09:56:48 AM »

6:09 I like to sit out in my garage when it storms.  Especially lightning and wind.  Even when we went camping I liked the storms.
Sorry Cal you are flooding.  Good you found that pellets can help.
Garbage trucks woke me up at 7 this morning, and they just went by again for recycles.
Pretty nice out now.  Bright sun and 50 degrees.  May go for a bike ride later.
I have a little potted plant for Karen.  I hope she will come over soon and get it.  I don't think she is awake yet.  She had a very hard day with her computer yesterday, and probably had trouble getting to sleep.
I am anxious to tell her we will be going to The State Theater on March 28th to see Celtic Women.  She knew I was getting tickets for this by donating to PBS, but she had it on her calendar for the 14th.
Now I will say CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, Larry, Alice, Little bird ( Tweety), and all who suffer. 

calhound

« Reply #28172 on: March 14, 2024, 06:05:25 AM »

A Nice Warm Spring Day with Action - UPDATE March 13, 2024

Red male fox
With the temperature in the 50’s F, love was in the air. The male pileated woodpecker was sticking close to his mate and in the picture was next to her thrusting his beak up over and over. It is mating season.

Pileated woodpecker pair
Pileated woodpecker pair

The bald eagle is getting to know the program here. Two days ago he swung by grabbing talon-fulls of ham fat three times in eleven minutes, but still leaving a piece for a crow to scavenge. Today he or she came by when my camera was set wrong, kind of catching the action but not with pictures a person would really want to see. Calling the eagle he for now rather than it, he took a piece of ham fat up in a red pine where the only spot with sunlight was on his feet and bill.

Bald eagle   Bald eagle   Bald eagle

Crow
Crow
 Herring gull
Herring gull
The nice red fox male made a few trips, taking blueberry muffins and chicken leg bones with some meat on them.

A surprise visitor two days ago was an early arriving herring gull that suddenly was sitting as he is in the picture and not flinching when I went out the door and put bologna and chicken pieces within a couple feet of him. He remembers and knows the program. I used to hand-feed some of the gulls but quit doing that when they made mistakes and grabbed fingers too often. What made his visit a surprise was that the first gull in each of the last seven years had all been between March 20 and April 12.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28173 on: March 14, 2024, 06:22:36 AM »

hi you guys its 53 here 36 in ice 40 in kviv and 60 in the barn big huge storm again lighting all over so i could not go out to the barn dogs did not want out i fed the cats and one of my moms cat andy has a cold but did not eat and he always eats i gave him meds and put out tuna he did eat some of that. he is pretty old so i was upset over that directv out but in the livingroom i had hooked an antenna so i could get digital tv i switch to it there was tv saw under severe thunderstorm warning  no kidding i fed maybe and kitty boy in the garage and while they was eating i went out the side door my other walker right there. went to the barn open door water a pond back in indys area. i could cry. spigot was leaking again i need some help i told indy i give up  i just want to give up. he nuzzled me say you got any treats on you? so fed him sweets birds in there kept messing with the spigot handle over and over finally it quit leaking for the moment. still got rest of stuff to do in here go to bank and get jims money if i can get thru road may be closed to due water.  give andy more medicine

hi joho well i only got two bags of pellets and let me tell you that would not get it so i put some out best i could indy stands on this side of his area he is okay and he knows that. sweets fine no flooding for him. i hate this weather and have no use for lighting no more than tornado barn radio saying counties by me not me under tornado warning go to your safe place. i just heard local weather lady sunny this weekend but up and down on temp who cares about that not me if it got cold i would happy about that. come on back winter i would like that too. snow no rain be great.

hi neva

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/01055D53896F?z=0

okay god please bless jims dad my tweety bird andy cat alice all animals and all of us not you putin

calihoula

« Reply #28174 on: March 14, 2024, 10:22:44 AM »

i tried to get to town get jims money road closed due to high flooding went other way closed huge lake now came home emailed jim might be open clear up,in polo

There's a horror themed ballon festival coming to Colorado this fall
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #28175 on: March 14, 2024, 05:40:45 PM »

Field ...  27:26     70°  Sunny.

Hi Cal      Sorry to hear how miserable your weather conditions are.  That is one thing I hated about Spring when I was back in New England.  The snow melting caused so much water in the ground, so much mud!  My problem was trying to walk through it and it pulling off my boots.  The mud was stronger than I was as a kid.

Hi Joho
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #28176 on: March 14, 2024, 07:44:38 PM »

Hi Neva.  Did the puzzle, but got interrupted and forgot to write down my time.  I think it was 6:10.
Call that flooding sounds serious.  Flooding into the barn is a terrible situation too.  Do you think a French drain around the entire barn with an outlet somewhere lower than the barn floor would be a thing Jim could do?  You might save on pellets.  I dug one around my big patio on Georgetown Ave., and it worked great. 
The hardest part was the digging.  It was the hardest digging I ever did. Every spoon full was wood, and had to be chipped out of the trench.  I had a big maple nearby and the roots were thick and deep too. 
Just a thought.  There is a lot that can be done with proper grading.  It is what I did in my second Engineering career.
Thanks for the Boston Terrier dog shame.  It was a cuty. He was a good dog that goes outside to pee. LOL
I took a walk to the mail box with an umbrella in the light rain and warm evening air. It felt great.  Just like Summer. In the distance though I saw the sky lighting up with flashes.  I think a storm is close by.
I am not hungry, but did not have dinner yet, and it is going on 9 o'clock already.  I think it is my Trulicity at work.  It is said to take away your desire for food.
I getter say good night  for now. GBU, Israel, Ukraine, Tweety (who is getting better), and all those who are suffering.  Especially Larry and Alice.
Have not heard from Karen today.  Maybe she will call later. 

johoward

« Reply #28177 on: March 14, 2024, 07:51:09 PM »

I did puzzle again  Only 4:19 this time. WOW! Practice sure helps.
God night now you all.

calhound

« Reply #28178 on: March 15, 2024, 05:19:39 AM »

hi you guys its 46 here 37 in ice 43 in kviv and 60 in the barn.  just saw on my local news at the bottom saying likely putin will be president for another 6 oh you think  Putin will seek another term as Russian president, aiming to extend his rule of over two decades. Vladimir Putin on Friday moved to prolong his repressive and unyielding grip on Russia for at least another six years, announcing his candidacy in the presidential election next March that he is all but certain to win. too bad people of russia cant vote like they really want

hi neva oh this weather is horrible. mud is horrible jim had on him big tall mud boot hauling out water it needs more hauling when he comes today and i hope at least the one road back open to town so i can get to the barn heard on the radio in the barn crooked river out in richmond still so cant go to walmart or harps i cant believe easter is end of this month to me easter should always be in april. 

hi joho well i will tell you said about that french drain seeing you saw lots of hard work jim aint going to like that but he is tired of barn flooding and leaving indy like that. indy okay just shortens his area i tell him boy please do not roll over on this side in this mess!! takes a long time for it all to dry too. i got some big fans in there but indy scared of it have to run them when he is outside. right now his dad comes first you know. i have thought get a landscapper out here and see what needs to be done. oh quit raining tons would help alot

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/12055D56BDE3?z=0

gb jims dad my tweety bird alice all animals and all of us not you putin

johoward

« Reply #28179 on: March 15, 2024, 10:14:56 AM »

5:56 On crooked tree.  I wish I were clever like JP.  He always brightened my morning with his witty sayings. I miss him.
French drain is just a thought Cal.  If barn elevation is not right it will not work.  It needs a lower place to discharge any collected water.  I don't think Jim needs more on his plate right now.  I worked with excavators on most drainage problems.  They are familiar with slopes, stone, pipes, and grade.  Also, they have the trucks and equipment needed. 
Well now time to go. CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, Ukraine, Tweety, Jim's Dad, and Alice.

calihoula

« Reply #28180 on: March 15, 2024, 02:04:56 PM »

hi you guys i went to town got down where road close signs were due to crooked river and a car in front of me saw big trucks flashing lights removing those closed sign waved us around went to barn indy had rolled he was a big muddy mess his beautiful stand up mane mud so i combed him out his front leg mud i combed it he auto picked up his hoof like farrier does give me that hoof. i saw hay under his foot ground all wet cant have him standing in that i raked that hay back under his gate put out pellets jim home he said he will go bucket it out in a little while. he got into it with his younger sisters husband told his sister you stay here all night tonight her husband brett said no she is not someone could rape her im thinking wth jim yelled fine i will come back but not till ten tonight! her and brett have twin boys well men now still live at home got good jobs been looking for a place to live brett michelle would like them to have larrys condo jim said fine you buy out my third and buy out cathys third we are not getting screwed so it makes me sad it is this fighting who stays at hospice with pops fighting over stuff. but larry and annie had three kids i still have every cent my dad left me almost twenty years ago still have my sister susies place paid her bills and her funeral i sure hope they were far away from pops when this was going on when i stayed all nights and days with my mom never even thought about rape thought about mom please mom keep breathing  yes joho jim got enough why i try to do everything but i tell you cant hardly move my right leg or side pretty painful and it just does not want to move cant rest it but at bedtime i love bedtime too all pets sleeping watch little tv eat sleep.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #28181 on: March 15, 2024, 02:26:09 PM »

i was feeding cats thought jims sister school teacher for very long time but brett sadly more chance of her getting hurt at school than hospice the ones that saw pops every sat cathy and tim cathy cleaned his house on sat tim visited watch tv with pops jim hated to watch tv with him cause he changed the channel all the time and brett said michelle does not have time. im so happy i stopped cleaning houses to take care of my dad watched tv took him for a daily ride had fun really
penny wants in back to chores.

neva

« Reply #28182 on: March 15, 2024, 07:47:46 PM »

African Tree ...  25:34    57°  (5:44 pm)   Heavy dark clouds off to the east, very windy, and it was sunny at my place earlier.  It rained this morning.... and it just started raining again.

Cal    I don't know what Brett is talking about.  I went to stay, day after day, at a Hospice where a friend of mine was, stayed most of the time, including overnight, until they died, and I couldn't have been in a safer place.  There were plenty of people there, including doctors.   I guess that that is a time when you find out what people are all about, unfortunately.

Joho     I hope your girls, Debbie and Mary are feeling better today. 
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #28183 on: March 16, 2024, 04:02:49 AM »

The Daily Progression - UPDATE March 15, 2024

Raccoon
If I arrive at the WRI early enough in the morning, I get to see a bit of the daily progression of visitors. The 5 AM hour belongs to the three raccoons and their quest for sunflower seed hearts—one looking in my desk window too close to get its whole body in the picture, and the other two on the railing.

Raccoon
Raccoon
  Red fox male
Red fox male
Then come the red foxes, the nice male coming between 8 and 9:30 AM and again in the 6 PM hour with the shy female here in the 7 PM hour—no longer coming together. Spying on the nice male with my camera, I got to see how he reacted to wind this evening. As with bears, gusts made him nervously look quickly around with ears pointing in different directions and his mouth partly open, probably using the vomeronasal organ on the roof of his mouth to enhance his sense of smell .

Crows on lake
Crows on lake

In the morning in the 8:30 to 9:30 hour, the 33 or 34 crows arrive, gathering on or near the beaver lodge across the lake and then flying as a flock to a big red pine across the yard and to a couple trees near it before going to work searching for what is available. If the tinted see-through roller shade by my desk is down, they will clean up whatever food is left from overnight by the raccoons and foxes (and possibly the fisher) on the second floor deck. If the shade is up so they can see me at my desk, they feed on the ground instead, although a couple of them will feed outside my desk window even if I am there. A wolf was at the beaver lodge a couple days ago just before 8 AM, walking away before he would interfere with the crow’s schedule.

Crows in red pine
Crows in red pine

The fisher is unpredictable, showing up anytime day or night. He comfortably looks at me if I’m at my desk but skedaddles if I start out the door.

Wolf at Beaver lodge
Wolf at beaver lodge

Today a second gull showed up at about the same noonish time as the first gull of the year showed up four days ago. This one looked and acted enough like the one of the eleventh, that I thought at first that it was him, but he wouldn’t let me come as close as the other one without flying and returning. I took a picture and compared the two. This one has a much clearer iris, and the orange and black dots of his bill are different, telling me that we now have a second unusually early arrival.

The eagle is a mystery. After its visits on the 13th, I haven’t seen him, making me suspect he has flown northward to his nesting area and won’t be visiting soon. We’ll see.

Herring gull
Herring gull

Today, the number of slots open in the black bear field courses dropped to eight.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #28184 on: March 16, 2024, 04:37:40 AM »

hi you guys its 40 here 36 in ice 45 in kviv 60 in the barn great pics from doc wolf is pretty cool.

hi neva i was thinking maybe brett meant her walking into hospital but they live by there he could drop her off or if he is that worried stay with her but i think jim said worried about that while she was in there and you are right security all over and staff there 24 7  and its hospice jim was mad but really at the start of this he told me he said to his sisters if you guys cover days i will do nights so i think he thought his dad would just go and i said at the start no one knows but god. so maybe they need to change up something take turns three of them. when i finally got done i said to jim you can do last check on indy and sweets before you head back to hospice he said i am thinking of not going back i said well you guys promised your dad he would not have to die alone. jim said someone there i said one of your sisters he said no but someone is there i may go back well whatever check on indy i am really tired too so i got to head on to bed. and when i got up real early he was not here he went back to hospice.  jim never sleeps hard never i have my own room but i get up he is awake in his room. like sleeping with one eye open. i sleep hard deep sleep i woke up this morning at 1am and felt like someone had me in a huge bear hug around my ribs really hurt so i just got up. good you got some rain you have my rain too sick of rain.

hi joho last year jim took the back hoe and dug a huge trench along side of the barn there is a hill there and water runs down that hill then it is flat to the side of the barn and that side gets flooded first it come under the door from indys corral too. but he dug this trench length of the barn then just stopped well water just sits in there i told him that you need to hand dig it to the fence by indys corral and then let it run out into the pasture so yesterday he went out there and dug it on down and that trench emptied into the pasture. should help. 

oh yesterday afternoon i was in the barn and i opened sweets door to fill up his water and had the comb. he came down i was combing his hair and he rammed my right knee not real hard but i felt it. i took that comb and tapped him on his forehead said no he then stood in that spot and started moving all his feet up and down like he was marching in place i was in the corner where the door is i thought oh no he was throwing his head and then put his head down horns ready to charge i got that door open spun around on my left foot and got out jim came in then i was laughing telling him what sweets was doing marching in place jim walked up to the other door said sweets and sweets ran up his hill charging and bam hit that door he then spun around and ran all over we was pretty happy to see him so unruly and happy. i will stick close to that door when i go in sweets just feeling happy and unruly

i took my little birds wrap off yesterday her wing does not look like it hangs down now i took it off for alittle while she is in her box but gave her a break from wearing it i put it back her last night  she got out of it but i put it back on and she left it on still on. she is doing pretty good i cant believe it. thank you god for helping me with her and all my stuff

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9F055D4E5FD5?z=0

god bless all animals jims dad alice all of us not you putin