Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 465008 times)

karengramke

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #5490 on: May 29, 2023, 05:29:48 PM »

Lisa, I needa Piper fix!  A y pictures?

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5491 on: May 29, 2023, 05:41:35 PM »

Thank you CLynn for the war veteran Dads Memorial Day collage .  Esp for adding TXNinja.
 Today is one of this country's most somber Days of Rememberance. Hope the Munchkins do well with the sleep over while
Mom and Dad are away.
Tks. for the alerts on Rosie and Richmond at SF Bay and at Dunrovin w/ Harriet & Swoop

Lisa pets and kisses to the kittens, esp 'my little'  Piper.  ;D

Hi E4E we're gonna grill brats, various toppings , Deviled eggs, garden salad,  a brew each .  Jim's arm is a sight. Has an appt w/PCP .

Lori thanks Beakroom Decoration Day Memorials.

{{{Lani}}} Ditto, Aly on the road?

Karen sending 🙏 's   4 you.  So glad all's well w/ you.
  Jim was helping a disabled  cutomer with his purchases and skinned the
bejeebers out of his left forearm.  There's a layer of flesh loose like a flap. The asst mgr at the store was an  EMT sho she fixed him up. After he showers I'll unwrap and take a look and air it out. Last time this happend  I put on some exam gloves  and w/ a QTip rolled the loose skin back and cut it with some disinfected surgical scissors.
And, applied a thin layer of Mupiroin ont USP, 2% and covered.  It healed right up . But, not w/o my nagging about changing to dry bandages.  ::)  All will be well.

Well, guess I'm all caught up here.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 05:58:19 PM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #5492 on: May 29, 2023, 05:56:12 PM »

This Memorial Day evening...
Wishing everyone God's love and peace .

#IstandwithEvan

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #5493 on: May 29, 2023, 05:59:20 PM »

Memorial Day greetings to All the Beakers.  :)

Clynn, thank you for posting the Beaker Family's Veterans collage. My sister used to have an indoor/outdoor cat, who loved to sit on the screened porch, but sometimes asked to go outside. When my sis would see that cat sitting by the kitchen door to the porch, she would open it and ask, "Do you want to go out? or out out?"  ... Meaning, of course, do you want to go out to the porch, or out to the porch and then out to the yard?  LOL!  Of course your H&H won't get that second option presented to them, but I predict they will definitely do the crossing-a-threshhold "I wanna go," "no, wait, I'm not sure," "no, yes! I want to go out," "oh, maybe not, let me think about it," "don't close the door, I want to go out!" dance.   ;) ;D ;D ;D

Karen, enjoy stretching out your birthday wishes.  :D  I will hold out till your tomorrow birthday then.  ;) :D  Congrats on the diet and nutrition progress! And, dang it, I always say, why can't it come off as easily as it goes on?  ;)  I might have to put up a hummingbird feeder this year - I haven't before because the ants are such a problem here, and I don't want one more location to make a stand against them. LOL!

Phyl, I hope Jim's arm heals quickly. Maybe you won't do "surgery"  ;) on it tonight since he's going to see the doctor tomorrow?

Waving to All the Beakers! Take care, All.  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 06:02:57 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #5494 on: May 29, 2023, 06:36:55 PM »

Posting for Karen...
The web site is difficult to access so I copied the entire article and photos for you to read.  The link is at the bottom. enjoy!

Why do we celebrate Memorial Day — and should it return to its roots?

Some 37,000 American flags line the Boston Common on Memorial Day, representing Massachusetts military members who died in service from the Revolutionary War to the present. Unlike Veterans Day, this holiday honors those who lost their lives serving the U.S.

Why do we celebrate Memorial Day—and should it return to its roots?
Not to be confused with Veterans Day, this federal holiday honors those who lost their lives in service of their country.

For many Americans, Memorial Day signifies the start of the summer season, as well as a much-needed long weekend filled with activities like sporting events and barbecues. But that wasn’t the original purpose of the day—and its evolution over the years has been rife with controversy.

Celebrated on the last Monday in May, Memorial Day commemorates those who have lost their lives serving their country—unlike Veterans Day, on November 11, which celebrates all people who have served in the military. Since the end of the Civil War, when it was known as Decoration Day, the holiday has been marked by solemn parades and ceremonies and the placing of flowers on the graves of fallen service members.

However, some critics have complained that the holiday has drifted too far toward frivolous fun and should be restored to a more respectful observance. Here’s how the holiday got started and why it has sparked debate throughout its history.

Who really started Memorial Day?
Even the origins of Memorial Day remain debated—and controversial. Some scholars have noted that the practice of decorating graves with flowers on specific days in spring is an ancient custom, and may thus represent the true roots of the holiday. However, most say that the holiday began in the bloody wake of the nation’s most divided time: the Civil War.

From the silence of sorrowful hours
The desolate mourners go,
Lovingly laden with flowers
Alike for the friend and the foe;
FRANCIS MILES FINCH

The U.S. Civil War was devastating for families on both sides of the conflict—nearly 500,000 men died, or about 2 percent of the U.S. population at the time. During the battle of Gettysburg, the Union and Confederacy lost more than 7,000 people.

You see three soldiers hands holding the American flag and folding it together.
A group of women stand in front of monument with American flags as one places a wreath on the monument. In the background you can se men dressed in uniform standing in rows.
Top: Sailors fold the American flag at the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial, dedicated to the battleship that was attacked at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, killing more than a thousand crewman and marking the nation's entry into World War II.

PHOTOGRAPH BY BRUCE DALE, NAT GEO IMAGE COLLECTION
Bottom: Women place a wreath on a World War I monument on Memorial Day. This tradition can trace its origins back to the Civil War, when women began tending to the graves of ​fallen soldiers on both sides of the conflict.
PHOTOGRAPH BY JACK FLETCHER, NAT GEO IMAGE COLLECTION
The conflict ended in April 1865 and in subsequent years women, especially in the South, began tending to the graves of fallen soldiers, often regardless of which side they fought for. Their willingness to overlook past divisions was lauded in newspapers in the North. Their kindness was viewed as an olive branch to many, including northerner Francis Miles Finch, who in 1867 wrote the popular poem “The Blue and The Grey” praising those efforts.

The specific event that sparked the first Memorial Day remains a matter of debate.  Some say the first Memorial Day took place on May 1, 1865, when a large group of recently freed African Americans held a parade in Charleston, South Carolina, to honor fallen Union soldiers. Dozens of other cities around the country claim the title, too, for their early Civil War remembrance ceremonies. Still other observers have pointed to President Abraham Lincoln’s commemoration of the dead at Gettysburg in 1863 as a possible origin of the holiday.

The only major national memorial honoring U.S. servicewomen.
President Lyndon B. Johnson would later weigh in on the lingering question in 1966, when he officially recognized Waterloo, New York’s ceremony on May 5, 1866, as the “birthplace” of Memorial Day. Waterloo’s supporters argued that event was deserving of the notice because it was formal and city wide, and included closing of local businesses.

How Memorial Day became a federal holiday
After years of local celebrations, the holiday was first celebrated nationwide in May 1868, when former Civil War General John A. Logan led a commemoration at Arlington National Cemetery. He issued a proclamation calling for "Decoration Day" to be observed each May 30 across the country.

Logan, who would eventually run for vice president, called it Decoration Day because he said the fallen should be honored by "strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating, the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion." The month of May was likely chosen due to an abundance of spring flowers.

After World War I, in which America lost more than 100,000 soldiers, Decoration Day was expanded to honor all those who had died while fighting—not just those from the Civil War. The name of the holiday also gradually shifted, with Memorial Day becoming more popular in the 20th century.

Congress made Memorial Day an official national holiday in 1971. Instead of May 30, however, the day was pegged to the last Monday in May to create a long weekend. In the years since, Memorial Day evolved into a three-day weekend filled with barbecues, sports, and store discounts, which often overshadow the day's more somber origins.

Rows of headstones have small American flags next to them.
Flags mark military graves at Arlington National Cemetery outside of Washington, D.C. Typically more than 135,000 people visit the cemetery over Memorial Day weekend to honor those who died for their country.
PHOTOGRAPH BY ANNIE GRIFFITHS, NAT GEO IMAGE COLLECTION
How Memorial Day is celebrated today
The American Legion has called for a return to a more serious observance of Memorial Day. In 2010, the organization wrote a resolution that called for ending the long weekend and restoring Memorial Day to May 30, noting, "The majority of Americans view Memorial Day as a time for relaxation and leisure recreation rather than as a solemn occasion and a time to reflect and pay tribute to the American servicemen and women who sacrificed their lives in defense of our Nation."

The late Hawaii Senator Daniel Inouye, a World War II veteran and Congressional Medal of Honor recipient who served in the Senate from 1963 to 2012, introduced legislation to move Memorial Day back to May 30 several times, without success. Some communities continue to host Memorial Day events on May 30 as well.

We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. ... Let no neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided republic.
MAJ. GEN. JOHN A. LOGAN

Many solemn observances of the day remain, however. Since 2000, people across the country have been asked to join in a moment of remembrance at 3:00 p.m. local time. Bells are tolled and NASCAR races are put on hold. Flags are flown at half-mast until noon, to signify a day of mourning.

Over Memorial Day weekend, more than 135,000 people visit Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. Traditionally, the president or vice president lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. More than 280,000 flags are placed at headstones for all those who have laid down their lives for their country.

Read in National Geographic: https://apple.news/A7yD5UNlEQAmBHk_oVGMYEw

« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 06:54:32 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

oldguy

« Reply #5495 on: May 29, 2023, 07:34:45 PM »

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #5496 on: May 29, 2023, 07:52:29 PM »

Good night Beakers  :)

Karen - So what you need to do is celebrate the Memorial Day Observed and your actual birthday of May 30th! No harm in celebrating your birthday weekend! ;D

Lani - Thank you for posting a collage of the Beak's family. :-*  They were all wonderful beautiful folks and are missed very much.

Kb - Sounds like a great day;  walking Ollie and mulching!  Time for relaxing  ;D    Beautiful pic of the Ft Snelling Cemetary, Mn.

Lori - Love all the pics in honor of Memorial Day - Thank you!

LisaG - Hope you & Jeff had a wonderful day too!

Tsk - Enjoy the bbq at Barb & Tom's! ;D

Phyl - You & Jim enjoy that yummy dinner you have planned!

Hi Baz - Set out your hummer feeder - you will love watching the activity!

Beakers have a good night & sleep well  :)

oldguy

« Reply #5497 on: May 29, 2023, 10:25:52 PM »

Happy Birthday Karen

18 calories per piece
recipe at
https://nutritiontwins.com/frozen-yogurt-bark-blueberries-pomegranate/

oldguy

« Reply #5498 on: May 29, 2023, 11:31:04 PM »

Hoping that everyone had a great weekend - it is back to work in the morning...
I will close out the night with 2 cat videos and a great performance of Proud Mary

Finally, Here's What Cats Think of Humans   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WFcyiYaPek

Maru's 16th Birthday Party   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APEecXNLd1o

Tina Turner, Cher & Elton John-1999   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tGXNejyPsk

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5499 on: May 30, 2023, 01:00:45 AM »

{{{Clynn}}} Thank you for creating and posting our Memorial Day Collages, and thank you for creating our Beak Family Memorial Collage too.  :-*
{{{Munchkins}}}..... Thanks for update on R&R, Harriet, etc... Love Karen's birthday posts.

Phyl, thanks for nest updates, Falcons cuties are growing... prayers for Jim's healing.

{{{Puff}}}

{{{Karen}}} Two days of birthday wishes/greetings/prayers are sent to you!  This makes up for you being gone.  :-* ... sorry I posted a cake,

Kb, your landscaping is gorgeous. Love the yellow iris.

Eagles, enjoy your visit with your mom and sis.

{{{Lori}}} Beautiful Memorial Day pics, sending you prayers too.

Tsk, enjoy your visit with SIL and Tom.

Puff, Punchbowl is huge. My step-father and two baby brothers are buried there.

Hi Baz, I have ants trying to get to my hummingbird feeders. As long as the feeders don't drip I won't get ants.

Oldguy, I watched Tina, Cher and Elton twice!  ;D

Good night!

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Lilbro, Eagles, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Pink, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Eaglesrock, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Tsk friends Jean and Dennis, Jicaji, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Kris, Lori and her grandma Clute, Puff, Tsk's friend Pam and Hubby, Pink's mother, Karen, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Tim, Peep's friend's family, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Tsk's friend, Clynn's friend Kay, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed,  Lori's grandmother, Tim, Tim's son and grandson, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Tsk, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Eagle's Kris, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For SWFL Harriet, Star, Maggie, Little One and all those like her, Dunrovin Harriet, Hellgate Iris, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

« Reply #5500 on: May 30, 2023, 06:06:13 AM »

Good Morning ...

Currently  60 F  and  High 85F   ptly sunny, Low 62F  clear.

OG gonna try that receipe; Tina, Cher & Elton  ;)

Lani tks; cyber cakes are '0' calories  ;)

{{{Puff}}}

Lori   🙏 's

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #5501 on: May 30, 2023, 06:09:49 AM »

The GSB Quartet on a sunny morning.

May 30, 2023 6:06 AM

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #5502 on: May 30, 2023, 06:14:38 AM »

Back at Two Harbors ...
May 30, 2023 6:11 AM
Camera Time: May 30, 2023 4:10 AM PDT

Bandit still sleeping.

May 29, 2023 10:05 PM
Camera Time: May 29, 2023 8:05 PM PDT

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #5503 on: May 30, 2023, 06:21:58 AM »

And over at the fish hatchery...

May 30, 2023 6:19 AM
Camera Time: May 30, 2023 6:19 AM CDT

#IstandwithEvan

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #5504 on: May 30, 2023, 06:26:06 AM »

Your Southern Hummingbird Cake is a deliciously moist cake filled with ripe banana, perfectly sweet pineapple and chopped pecans that’s topped with an irresistibly rich cream cheese frosting!  It tastes almost tropical!  Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 06:28:27 AM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl