Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 640603 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #26445 on: March 12, 2023, 06:59:56 PM »

Cat Bench ...  36:52   76°  (3:22 pm)    Lightly overcast w/ hazy sunlight trying to get through.  Light breeze.

Cal    Thanks for letting us know about the eagles and NCIS.  (I love that show).  You asked about my brother.  My sis-in-law sent me a picture of them taken a couple of days ago when they went out for ice cream, and what a great smile on his face.  I guess it really hit the spot.  He's trying to fight this cancer with all of his strength and will.

Joho       I agree with you, there are some breads that there is no substitute for.  I really miss the freshly baked Russian Black Bread I had back in New England,  When that's what you want, there's no substitute.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #26446 on: March 13, 2023, 05:26:47 AM »

Day Visitors, Night Visitors, and a Remarkable Bear-Human Interaction - UPDATE March 12, 2023

Fawn nosing mother
This doe and fawn often stand in this exact spot to nose each other, lick each other, and even lie down to rest. The fawn is about 9 ½ months old and has another 2 ½ months to go before her mother gives birth and she is on her own.

The raven looks for opportunities to steal the suet but never lands when I am sitting at my desk, except for a couple days ago. The snow was too bright, so I pulled down a blind that I can see through but the raven can’t. Click. Surprisingly sharp through the blind.

White-breasted nuthatch
White-breasted nuthatch
Raven
Raven
This male white-breasted nuthatch was good to pose in the sun for a good view.

At night it’s Bob Cat and the gray fox. The red fox who stopped by a couple nights ago is back visiting his usual feeders a couple times a day.

As Bob visited the meat bonanza, his eyes looked bright white in the Infra-red light of that camera rather than bright blue in a different light a few nights ago.Bobcat
Bobcat

A highlight a couple days ago was catching up on the phone with Sue Kehoe, the bear lady in New Jersey who has loved bears for decades. I was thanking her for referring a film-maker to me for a possible chance to educate beyond the usual. While we were talking, a visitor stopped by to see her. Bears there have much shorter denning periods. It was his first visit of the year. When he stepped in, Sue was overjoyed that he had made it through another hunting season. But she was busy on the phone, so she asked him to close the door, quickly grabbing a video camera to let me see how well he minds, which he did. This one has to go in the book—maybe with a QR code so readers can see the half-minute video. The publisher specializes in including QR codes so readers can see and hear more. Have the sound on when you click on this link so you can hear her excited tone when he complied. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3OntZROInfs He only has that relationship with her at her house.

Thank you, Sue, for sending the video, and thank you all for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #26447 on: March 13, 2023, 05:34:27 AM »

hi you guys its 24 here no stars so i am hoping no snow or rain today 31 in iceland 45 in kyiv. looks like bob may be getting a gut on him. nice for them to have food. hate to see anything be hungry. well it would be okay for putin.

hi neva! so good to hear your brother was smiling eating icecream. sure hope he beats that cancer.

hi joho

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/4F055D55781D?z=0

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #26448 on: March 13, 2023, 08:09:54 AM »

5:24  Hi EV1. Got a normal start today in spite of time change, but it is ok because it is cold (31) and snowy at 9am.
  Body clock still fouled up some. Repeated surprises whenever I look at a clock.  I feel like I am late for something. Did not do anything this whole weekend.  Just laid around watching TV.  A little Oscars, and a little Naked and Afraid, some Wicked Tuna, some Player's Golf, and a little of Cal's fav spy show that I just can't remember the name of right now.  Last night though I enjoyed a marathon on PBS of I think Sanditon.  It was great.  I lost a lot of sleep over this, because it just kept coming.  Very good story line and acting too.  PBS is great.
Well I will leave you with my lazy confession and CUL EV1  GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #26449 on: March 13, 2023, 11:34:03 AM »

hi joho! do you mean my blacklist? i love red! this will be final season 10th one i will miss it but for now still on. i record it and watch next day like around 6 pm when im done and eat watch little tv its cold here little snow flurries i like it. just did barn kids. pick up groceries in the morning yes im fouled up by time change my clocks still on old time scootie time last night jim said do i go out to do indy new time or scootie? scootie! we got to get up real time i go to bed scootie time i wish pbs would of continued queen victoria and her albert.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #26450 on: March 13, 2023, 12:56:37 PM »

Yes Cal,  "Blacklist" Thanks.  I kept writing "Blackwatch" which I knew was wrong, because that is the name of the plaid pattern in my dressup flannel shirt from L. L. Bean.
Getting old is not for weaklings.
Just the slightest snow falling now. It is 33 degrees at 1:51.  I did have some Lorrie lunch. Now getting ready to go for mail and some bread which I still need.  I will get Nickles Italian instead of the small Walmart Italian, because I ate all the tuna salad already without bread.  I used a spoon. LOL
Deb says bread is bad for my sugar anyway.
I used two belly shots of Trulicity this morning.  Will keep an eye on glucose levels to be sure I know it when I go low.  This has never happened, but is a possibility with taking three kinds of diabetes meds including three a day of Glimepiride.  At my age three sometimes causes low sugars.
OK time to get moving so CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #26451 on: March 14, 2023, 05:30:56 AM »

hi you guys its 25 here cloudy big rain again coming tomorrow night and all day thursday  :( i know california sick of rain too. we are in for really cold temp friday sat weather said i hope so at least it will not rain they are calling for dry weather just really cold.

gb urkaine  saw putin on world news in his suit and tie all smiling saying war be over when victory is his gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/AA055D5783F8?z=0

johoward

« Reply #26452 on: March 14, 2023, 09:10:18 AM »

5:33 Pagoda.
Happy Tuesday EV1.  Pretty but slippery out this morning.  I will stay in, and keep checking cams.
I did see NCIS TV shots of Big Bear Eagles.  Thanks for the heads up.
Nothing new to report.  Double dose of Trulicity does not seem to be doing much yet. BG still 142. Better than 170s, but I was hoping for 120s.  Well maybe tomorrow.
Second coffee, already cold, and funnies waiting.
So CUL EV1. GBU and GB Ukraine.

neva

« Reply #26453 on: March 14, 2023, 06:05:18 PM »

Lantern ...  34:37     78°   (3:36 PM)    Sunny, a few hazy clouds and breezy.

Hi you two, and anyone else that drops by.  I hope your day is going well. 

I missed the NCIS thing with the eagles, I'll have to go to the website and see it.  Thanks again, Cal.
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #26454 on: March 14, 2023, 06:29:42 PM »

hi neva! i was looking for gregg allman in concert singing midnight rider i love that song and him.  had video when he was young but i did not want that i wanted him older found it so good with vince gill and zac brown you could tell they were having some fun  turn it up!

https://youtu.be/TLbnWr1-Qsc
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #26455 on: March 14, 2023, 06:46:21 PM »

Liver cancer
Gregg Allman / Cause of death
Allman died at his home in Richmond Hill, Georgia, on May 27, 2017, due to complications from liver cancer at the age of 69

good guitar player?
Allman is also a virtuoso player of both the acoustic guitar and the Hammond organ and is regarded as one of the most naturally gifted, powerful, and stunningly soulful vocal interpreters of the blues.Sep 17, 2011

Former President Jimmy Carter said he will attend music legend Gregg Allman's funeral this Saturday in Macon, Ga. “Rosalynn and I were deeply saddened when we learned that Gregg Allman had passed,” Carter told The Telegraph in an emailed statement Friday.June 2 2017

calhound

« Reply #26456 on: March 15, 2023, 05:33:35 AM »

hi you guys its 32 here 34 snow in iceland 49 overcast in kyiv and 51 in the barn

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9B055D599F0D?z=0

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

johoward

« Reply #26457 on: March 15, 2023, 08:36:33 AM »

5:11 platform.
Only 23, but very bright out.  Blinds are all pulled up to let in the sun's warmth.
Snow is crunchy.  Will stay in for a while.  Don't want to slip and fall. I think sun will melt off the little snow we have by about 10.  Then I will try to get to the mailbox to send my check to THE Senior Center for Debbie to have a lifetime subscription to the senior news letter.  She said she is thinking about going to some yoga classes for relaxation.  They have a lot of activities she might like at this stage of her life where she is transitioning to the retired stage.  It has been 21 years since I retired, and I am still not ready for it.  You guys, driving around, and walking to the mailbox are my recreation. LOL
Tomorrow at 11:30 I will have lunch with my classmates from High School.  They have been going to North Olmsted Olive Garden once a month for many many years.  I have attended maybe 6 times.  The last was two months ago.  I will take an old friend that has lost his driving privileges due to a stroke.  I am glad to take him, because he would drive me to work when I was too young to drive. It is sad for me, because he seems well, and driving was always a big part of his life.
Well that is mt story for this morning.
Hope you are all well today.  GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #26458 on: March 15, 2023, 10:06:59 PM »

Railway ...  25:50    56°  (7:38 pm)    It's raining.  ⛈️☔⛈️   

I hope that all is well with you.

Hi Cal.   Isn't Greg Allman the one that was married to Cher?  I wonder if their son, Elijah Blue Allman has gotten into music?

Hi Joho.   I'm encouraging my youngest daughter to get involved with something like yoga to keep her muscles back in shape.  She'll be 53 next Christmas.  There's an exercise program called 'Silver Sneakers' is available with Medicare and some insurance programs, and it is free.

That is amazing, to me anyway, that you are still in contact with people that you went to high school with.  I know only one, and have known her since we were thirteen.  Most everyone else that I knew, we all went our separate ways rather quickly.  That is true of my kids and their classmates too.  Good for all of you.

(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26459 on: March 16, 2023, 05:34:43 AM »

Eagle Excitement and a Happy Memory - UPDATE March 15, 2023

Bald Eagle
Many bald eagles added bits of excitement this past week as they returned and move through this area. The biggest bit of excitement was when an immature swooped close to my window, filling my view with its 6 to 7½-foot wingspan as it tilted vertical to veer off. Memorable, but each sighting was too brief to click. Two days ago, a mature eagle landed in good sun outside the front door. I tried to ease the door open, but its eagle eyes caught sight of me and it was off. I frantically tried to find it in the viewfinder but it was 40 yards away before the camera barely caught it at the edge of a frame skimming along the tops of some red pines a second before it disappeared. I put the card in the computer not expecting much and saw the camera had caught it better than I’d thought.

Lynn w/Donna
Lynn w/Donna - 2003
Yesterday, Sue Kehoe, the lady who knows the wild bear that politely closes doors, sent me a picture from 20 years ago that recalled a happy memory of 3-year-old Donna Bear when Sue and some of her friends joined me to find Donna and her cubs in the woods on July 5, 2003.

Donna and her sister Dot were born to Blackheart, daughter of Shadow, in 2000 and may be familiar to those who saw the Animal Planet documentary ‘The Man Who Walks With Bears’ filmed by my friend Doug Hajicek. That was back when 3-year-old Blackheart was the first of Shadow’s daughters to begin expanding Shadow’s clan into the hundreds of descendents of today. Twenty-eight of those descendents are from Donna (11 litters), who should be with her 12th litter as we speak. Blackheart and her cubs Dot and Donna were the first family I spent much time with at their den. Black bears have a critical socialization period from 6 to 12 weeks of age when cubs decide who are friends and who are foes. Donna decided I was a friend, so when we joined her on July 5, 2003 when she was three and had her first litter somewhere nearby, she was comfortable and I was happy as is shown in the picture. She is generally shy and reclusive. I don’t know that she has ever been the subject of a bear complaint. Shadow was 35 years old this past year—the second oldest black bear on record. I wish Donna a long life, too.

Thank you Sue for the picture and thank you all for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center