Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470397 times)

BrokenLug

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #11190 on: November 14, 2023, 02:22:31 PM »

Took off early this AM to get to laundromat at opening---had a boat load to wash up.
 Washing machine...
Wednesday unknown to me at the time--for some reason, now washer  doesn't know when to shut the water off  during cycles.   The little chime it's suppose to make when the load is finished didn't go off. ..because it didn't cycle properly . So. ..bad knees and all, I   plodded back upstairs to check--- what a surprise I got !   It flooded my laundry room in almost  2"  of water that wicked  about 2' into the hall carpet. Springing into action... kicked my shoes off and darted in , stretched myself beyond Nature's capability across the machine that was rolling  water down it's front.  And manually shut the water lines off.  Stood there for a millisecond  saying a plethora of curses.  Put the machine into 'Spin' only cycle to drain the drum...Went back down stairs to fetch the Wet/Dry vac and upright Bissell carpet cleaner  bagged the wet/dry vac and with them both in tow plodded back up stairs... made quick work of the clean up. 
Now wasn't that fun?
So with Black Friday sales will be researching a replacement I never planned.

Phyl I'm a little late to the washing machine fiasco.
That's a true bummer for sure.  :(

Especially if your washing machine is on an upper level of your house you might want to consider getting a Automatic Washing Machine Valve Shutoff Kit.

Something similar to this product: https://www.amazon.com/Floodstop-Washing-FS3-4H-v4/dp/B00EPG9TVG
U. S. A.

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #11191 on: November 14, 2023, 03:02:42 PM »

Took off early this AM to get to laundromat at opening---had a boat load to wash up.
 Washing machine...
Wednesday unknown to me at the time--for some reason, now washer  doesn't know when to shut the water off  during cycles.   The little chime it's suppose to make when the load is finished didn't go off. ..because it didn't cycle properly . So. ..bad knees and all, I   plodded back upstairs to check--- what a surprise I got !   It flooded my laundry room in almost  2"  of water that wicked  about 2' into the hall carpet. Springing into action... kicked my shoes off and darted in , stretched myself beyond Nature's capability across the machine that was rolling  water down it's front.  And manually shut the water lines off.  Stood there for a millisecond  saying a plethora of curses.  Put the machine into 'Spin' only cycle to drain the drum...Went back down stairs to fetch the Wet/Dry vac and upright Bissell carpet cleaner  bagged the wet/dry vac and with them both in tow plodded back up stairs... made quick work of the clean up. 
Now wasn't that fun?
So with Black Friday sales will be researching a replacement I never planned.

Phyl I'm a little late to the washing machine fiasco.
That's a true bummer for sure.  :(

Especially if your washing machine is on an upper level of your house you might want to consider getting a Automatic Washing Machine Valve Shutoff Kit.

Something similar to this product: https://www.amazon.com/Floodstop-Washing-FS3-4H-v4/dp/B00EPG9TVG

I took a peek and definitely worth the moolah. I can't 'thank you ' enough.
Will get it .   ;)
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

karengramke

« Reply #11192 on: November 14, 2023, 03:50:19 PM »

Bl, that is an amazing product!  Phyll I would buy it!  I wonder if it would work on a hot water heater that is located in the attic!  Hmm

Lani, i am saddened by the loss of the Eggs!  I sure hope they (the thieves) are found and punished!

Clynn!  I want copies of the cartoons you posted!  Where do U find them?   So funny!

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #11193 on: November 14, 2023, 04:01:22 PM »

some bounce
We just saw The Holdovers movie. Lots better than I thought it would be. Depth. Worth it.

TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

BrokenLug

« Reply #11194 on: November 14, 2023, 04:08:58 PM »

phyls we had one of these in our last home with the laundry room on the 2nd floor.
Saved our bacon from a major flood !
1) We never do laundry or use the dryer when someone is not home.
2) If we are going to be away for more than a few days we always shut the water supply off at the valve.
3) Plumbers recommend replacing the water supply hoses at least every 5 years (especially the black rubber ones) no matter what there visual condition is. Due to the heat, high pressure and shaking the hoses get a lot more stress on them than most peeps realize. We bought the steel braided hoses for extra protection and marked them with the date of install.

The water supply lines do fail .. as happened to us. We were downstairs in the kitchen when we heard the audio alarm go off .. what the heck is that noise (it sounded different than a smoke detector) ran upstairs and sure enough the hot water supply hose had ruptured.

This devise shut the water off immediately and saved us the headache/cost of a major flood in the upstairs laundry room.  :) 
A quick mop up .. a run to the hardware store for new hoses and we were back in the laundry business.   :D

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 04:54:35 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

BrokenLug

« Reply #11195 on: November 14, 2023, 04:22:07 PM »

Karen I have seen a similar device for hot water heaters.
If your HWH is above your head in the attic it might not be a bad idea as an extra measure of home damage protection to ask your plumber about one of these ?   8)
Our resident Lowes expert OG will know.   ;D

Now I'm sure it just shuts off the incoming water supply line to the hot water heater.
There are going to be X amount of gallons in the tank that would still drain out if the tank itself fails and is leaking.
Hopefully your HWH sits in some sort of catch pan that drains outside somehow ?

If the water detection sensor is in the "catch pan" it will shut off the incoming cold water supply and keep it from trying to continually fill up the leaking tank.

Best case scenario : The HWH tank fails & starts to leak > depending on the flow rate of the tank leak (usually a small leak at 1st and not a 'dump of water'.)  > drains the 20, 40, 60 gallons of water out of the tank into the pan > hopefully the pan and the clog free drain line to the outside handle the flow rate of the tank leak and doesn't "over-top".
No more water going into the HWH due to the auto shutoff valve > pan properly drained away 20, 40, 60 gallons of water from the tank > to the outside > no call to Allstate.   :) ;D

Never heard of a HWH in an attic, but they plumb homes in the south quite differently.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 06:20:20 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #11196 on: November 14, 2023, 04:45:43 PM »

Happy Day, Beakers!  :)

Take care, All!
  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

karengramke

« Reply #11197 on: November 14, 2023, 05:30:47 PM »

Just noticed we  are on page 747!   Cleared for take off!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 07:48:21 PM by karengramke »

kbshcb

« Reply #11198 on: November 14, 2023, 06:16:16 PM »

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-lifestyle/mystery-deepens-as-bright-light-explosion-in-northern-mn-unlikely-to-be-meteor?fbclid=IwAR3YJ1GI0J4yuYCgxsAAYfsODGgE1zhSgzsLZa4ukyVauQGcuGyyCmOOkuE

A real mystery Monday night..in Northern MN near Nymore. At first thought to be a meteor. NASA has said no.

Unbelievable noise in video of above.

This picture taken in the West Metro a little more than an hour before explosion sounded.

Tis a mystery.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #11199 on: November 14, 2023, 06:40:00 PM »

LISA  A hot drink on a cold day will have to wait here until Friday  LOL  It has been sunny and in the 60s all week.  In the 40's on Friday.  :o  Altho I must admit about 3 PM today I did finally sit and have a cup of hot tea  LOL  Thanks Lisa - I could look around for a no sugar pie.  Didn't know they made them. - Fresh or frozen? Think you saw a fresh one.

TIG  Had not heard of that movie so just watched the trailer.  Interesting...

BL   You are a wealth of information on this topic!  How would a person know to install one of those Floodstop things in the first place.  I've never heard of them.

KAREN     LOLOL 747  cleared for take-off   ;D ;D

KB  Wow  that was really strange - LOUD.  Wonder if they will ever find out..
Chicagoland

oldguy

« Reply #11200 on: November 14, 2023, 07:16:00 PM »

Karen I have seen a similar device for hot water heaters.
If your HWH is above your head in the attic it might not be a bad idea as an extra measure of home damage protection to ask your plumber about one of these ?   8)
Our resident Lowes expert OG will know.   ;D

Now I'm sure it just shuts off the incoming water supply line to the hot water heater.
There are going to be X amount of gallons in the tank that would still drain out if the tank itself fails and is leaking.
Hopefully your HWH sits in some sort of catch pan that drains outside somehow ?

If the water detection sensor is in the "catch pan" it will shut off the incoming cold water supply and keep it from trying to continually fill up the leaking tank.

The valve shuts off the water before the Water heater - so once the WH leaks enough to drop the water pressure, the flow will also slow down to a small leak for most of the tank's supply.  Most water heater leaks are pin holes in the lining or pipes.

Best case scenario : The HWH tank fails & starts to leak > depending on the flow rate of the tank leak (usually a small leak at 1st and not a 'dump of water'.)  > drains the 20, 40, 60 gallons of water out of the tank into the pan > hopefully the pan and the clog free drain line to the outside handle the flow rate of the tank leak and doesn't "over-top".
No more water going into the HWH due to the auto shutoff valve > pan properly drained away 20, 40, 60 gallons of water from the tank > to the outside > no call to Allstate.   :) ;D

Never heard of a HWH in an attic, but they plumb homes in the south quite differently.  ;)

I am familiar with the attic install of water heaters - usually located in temp zone where temps will get as low as 20 for short periods and slab building foundation.  This is a device much like the washer unit...
https://www.amazon.com/FloodStop-Detector-Automatic-Shut-Off-Audible/dp/B0013AG8H0?th=1

There are many such devices with wifi connection, so you can control and monitor from your phone - but they require a annual subscrtiption.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 07:19:58 PM by oldguy »
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

karengramke

« Reply #11201 on: November 14, 2023, 07:54:04 PM »

Thanks Old Guy!

BrokenLug

« Reply #11202 on: November 14, 2023, 09:13:41 PM »

BL   You are a wealth of information on this topic!  How would a person know to install one of those Floodstop things in the first place.  I've never heard of them.

tsk  :)  My older brother Beak who absorbed all of Pappy's wiz bang electronic knowledge from Bell Labs.
Our basement floor any water on it at all from any source of water incursion 1970's.

Knew about it from the wake the dead buzzer. It would go off reliably. No false alarms ever.
Above water high 9 Volt camp lantern battery 5 day backup.  8) 

Beak as a 7 yr old kid built it with off the shelf Radio Shack components.

I just got off the hard line phone with Beak and he thinks 1971 for about today's $9.99.  :)

He still has and uses it in his basement laundry room and apparently the control box has been modified to notify his cellphone.   

:o I no.

It all got a little above my pay grade ..   ;D 
U. S. A.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #11203 on: November 14, 2023, 09:22:00 PM »

Just noticed we  are on page 747!   Cleared for take off!

Karen! LOL!!  8)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #11204 on: November 14, 2023, 09:22:23 PM »

Lani - Too cute!!! Love the sweet doggie with the cute little hat on its head promoting guacamole! ;D   I do hope more cams will be had, and focus on the sweet albatross and that no more of their precious eggs will get stolen.  Sure hope they catch the culprits and punish to the full extent of the law.

Tsk - Lol on the pumpkin pie!  I knew it was just a graphic pic for your morning greeting! ;) :)   However, you might have a pumpkin pie on your table for TG! ;D

LisaG - Good suggestion for Tsk! I had not heard of a sugar free pumpkin pie!

BL - Good suggestion for Phyl and for everyone!     Before my husband & I retired and left for work early, there was a time that I mentioned to my hubby that I would sometimes start the Washer or Dryer and then leave the house while it was still on and cycling (not good).  He told me in no uncertain terms to 'Never do that'!! :-[    You give excellent info on the water heater too.

Tig - Glad you enjoyed the movie - but I have not heard of it!

Hi Baz!

Og - Thanks as always for good info!

Nite Phyl  :)

Beakers have a good night.