Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 471288 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #11145 on: November 13, 2023, 06:01:16 AM »

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #11146 on: November 13, 2023, 06:12:42 AM »

Lani cute story, you posted about raking leaves and the squirrel.
Here's image to go with your   story.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #11147 on: November 13, 2023, 07:44:30 AM »

Hi Everyone

KAREN   I also cut back on exterior Xmas decoration.  I have enough to do to get the inside done and each year I say I'm not doing as much but that never happens.  It just takes me longer.  And now this year Thanksgiving comes early so more time to decorate.  ::)

PHYL  Ouch that you are still dealing with the water.   Why do I think about sandbagging.....Only a couple days to wait for new washer.  Thanks for Robin's report.  She is such a wonderful contributor to RRP along with the Bruhlings.   Kindness - the key to a peaceful life.

BL   Sounds like your extended family might be soap opera material  LOL

LANI   Cute story about the squirrel.  About a third of our leaves are raked into the gardens for hiding places.  :D  Sweet good night pic.  God's creatures sleep.  :)

Well since the sunrise is pretty solid now in the SE,  I can truly see how filthy my front windows ( office) are  LOL  Guess what 1 project is today   ::)
Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #11148 on: November 13, 2023, 07:57:44 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Just popping in to say, Morning!  Have an appointment across the bridge. 

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #11149 on: November 13, 2023, 08:19:19 AM »

Morning everyone!

currently 52 - high 67 - sundown @ 4:59 - chance of shower tonight

Lani - Lots of wonderful wishes for Mike's birthday from the Beakers!  I know some friends who will have a beer the same way Mike does / some will have a Clamato!   Cute story of the squirrel and the raking of the leaves! ;D

Og - Those cookies for Mike are too delicious to eat!!

Phyl - Like your beautiful morning picture!   Thank you so much for posting Robin Brumm's trip to Decorah - I will come back later for it.  I always enjoy so much reading about her trips!    Phyl, I love your story of giving your umbrella to the lady who really needed it! Beautiful story of kindness.

Tsk - It will be nice to have clean windows again - hope you don't overdo! :)

LisaG - Safe travels across the bridge. :)

Beakers have a nice day  :)

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #11150 on: November 13, 2023, 08:24:38 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Wow, something woke me up a little after 7:00! I haven't slept this late for a LONG time! It will be a beautiful day today, 65 and plentiful sunshine! I plan to get the outside of the windows cleaned today. This week looks good through Thursday, maybe I can get a coat of stain on the new deck pieces...

Lisa, see you later!

tsk, I know how you feel about the Christmas decorations, I have cut back some but it's still a lot of work! Isn't it amazing how the windows look when the sun is hitting them! That's exactly why I want to get them done today!

Phyl, there's the cute little squirrel raking leaves!  I really feel for you and the water, that is one of the worst home catastrophes. Been there a few times. Glad to hear you found a new machine and at a good price! Thanks for Amy's Blog, Robin is so dedicated to the Decorah eagles and her pictures are always good! Another peaceful 365, I would love to have that view... Love your story of the girl in the rain...

Lani, sounds like Mike had a good day for his birthday! I like to cover my hostas with leaves, like a blanket for the winter. Love the squirrel story, they are so fun to watch! Wonderfully sweet good night picture...

E4E, I also got a transistor radio for Christmas when I was 12! It was so cool to be able to hear the Beatles outside on the patio!  And I also got a bicycle when I was 7, we were living in England at the time and Dad had me close my eyes. I opened them to see my new beautiful bike! My sister Cathy started to cry, then he brought one out for her! We did everything together and our adventures took on a new thrill when we got those bikes!

World Heritage Species  · The thinner tree was cut years ago and the big one has been holding and feeding it since then. They "wake up" together in the spring and "go to sleep" together in the autumn. Inosculation is a natural phenomenon in which parts of two different trees, commonly but not exclusively the same species, grow together, self grafting and sharing nutrients.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

oldguy

« Reply #11151 on: November 13, 2023, 09:58:27 AM »

I just know you all were waiting for this one![/size]

We sell all but one of these nuts - the Nylock Jam nut - , but besides the standard zinc, we have them in stainless and metric versions as well, and the common hex nut in grade 5, grade 8, galvanized, brass, chrome and nylon.  ;) :D
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #11152 on: November 13, 2023, 10:09:14 AM »

Royal Albatross - 11/9
Preparations for the 2023/2024 season's chicks.

Albatross couples, nest sites, defending territories, eggs & trail cams.

Please read Ranger Sharyn's update below & links provided.

~Royal albatross behaviour on and off Royal Cam
https://doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/albatrosses/royal-albatross-toroa/royal-cam/royal-albatross-behaviour-on-and-off-royal-cam/
~What To Expect On The Royal Albatross Cam November–December
https://youtube.com/watch?v=X_gF2yTa_zc
~Incubating Northern Royal Albatross Maintains Nest
https://youtube.com/watch?v=O1OZR7rNfVA

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Puff

« Reply #11153 on: November 13, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »

CLYNVery difficult to imagine the two-fer trees.  Never heard of such a unique symbotic arrangement.  Having a pic to post helps make it believeable.  Interesting new work - I'll delve into later.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:19:04 AM by Puff »

LisaG1967

« Reply #11154 on: November 13, 2023, 10:35:54 AM »

Lani - Thanks for the Royal update, and for your story from last night about the squirrel watching you rake leaves, so sweet! 

clynn - Very interesting about the trees. 

E4E - Thank you.

tsk - Be careful cleaning those windows today. 

Phyl - Cute squirrel raking leaves pic.  What a great act of kindness in giving your umbrella to the woman.

karen - I think that is one reason we are in no rush to fork out the money for a new fence.  :D

kb - Good for Ollie alerting you!  Bandit will alert me if someone is at the front door.  I usually keep wooden door open so he can look out storm door, and since I am usually in the computer room and he will come in and meow till I get up. 

kbshcb

« Reply #11155 on: November 13, 2023, 10:55:15 AM »

tsk - I do know what you mean about the different sun angle illuminating dirt/dust one otherwise can't see!. I've been able to therefore spend time deep cleaning my stove/oven, a side hutch, a coffee maker etc.
I've developed routines/patterns now that coincide with the sun angle in terms of deep cleaning inside over the last 24 years. I have an Eastern/southerly sun angle in my kitchen.

Lisa - that's so funny Bandit does such dog like behavior alerting you!..Ollie man is like no other dog I've ever met. As I've mentioned he's acutely aware of any changes in our environment including changes in neighbor's yards..A coffee maker 3 inches closer to the edge of a counter for example will cause him to bark.
He's not an obsessive barker either, so when he does I pay attention!

Lani - remind me again about the historic egg loss? Was it flies or some insect/parasite?

Clynn - I do love the fabric corn on the cobs..they would be fun to own imo.

Have taken our morning walk and it's quite warm in the mid 40's..I guess I over dressed. Again, quiet and unremarkable except for my visual of a white/grey like raptor perched on top of a neighbor's very tall pine tree. I saw it take off and definitely large wings with a raptor like movement pattern. I will have to research it.

Ordered Scott's wreath for Wreaths Across America this morning and found out my fave restaurant is not open for pick up on Thanksgiving. :( :( Chris and I decided to pick up restaurant food this year rather than the traditional meal at home. Darn it. I will now have to cook something. Not sure what yet.

kbshcb

« Reply #11156 on: November 13, 2023, 11:03:24 AM »

My best guess at the type of hawk I saw on my walk was either a Northern Goshawk or Northern Harrier.

I usually see Eagles, red tails and coopers hawks, and an occasional peregrine and osprey...also owls

First time for me I think.

Lani

« Reply #11157 on: November 13, 2023, 11:16:14 AM »

Royal Albatross 11/23/2023

The flightless takahē is a unique bird, a conservation icon and a survivor.
Population: Around 500 as of October 2023
New Zealand status: Endemic
Conservation status: Threatened–Nationally Vulnerable
Found in: Native grasslands of Murchison Mountains, Fiordland and Gouland Downs, Kahurangi National Park
Threats: Predation, competition for food

Sound recordings:
https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets/documents/conservation/native-animals/birds/bird-song/takahe-song-10.mp3
00:38 – Takahē song.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets/documents/conservation/native-animals/birds/bird-song/takahe-song-12.mp3
00:52 – Takahē song.

Species information: Takahē on NZ Birds Online
https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/takahe/

Takahē - return to the wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG423K3pmQI

Kb, I think it was the warm long seasonal weather. I'll check to be sure.

Oldguy, good to know!  ;D

Clynn, love your story of your bike, Cathy and your adventures together.... Amazing World Heritage Species story, the photo brings it's history together to life. Very cool.   

Eagles, Clamato sounds like something I would have... though I do not like beer.

Lisa, safe travels  :)

Tsk, I need to do my windows too.  :(

BL, Interesting about Jeff Daniels being a musician/songwriter. Thanks for sharing the video of Jeff and brother.

Phyl, thanks for Robin's blog. It's a joyful feeling to see pics of Decorah Mom and DM2. She looks so well and the nest looks fantastic. I enjoyed reading Robin's diary of her day with them. Looks like The Hs have their nest safely tucked away in the trees. They definitely wanted privacy and peace.... peaceful nature vid.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 04:07:37 PM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #11158 on: November 13, 2023, 11:21:53 AM »

Binx :-*

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #11159 on: November 13, 2023, 12:21:41 PM »

EAGLES   Took me 30 minutes and I'm now a happy camper  LOL

CLYNN   Love that World Heritage tree story.  Another of nature's miracles. :)

OLDGUY   So I'm going to ask why don't you have the Nylock jam nut?  :o 8) ::) ???

LANI   Thanks for Ranger Sharyn's report    I don't remember the egg thefts last year?  Did we know that?   Binx  ;D
Chicagoland