Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470454 times)

kbshcb

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #9750 on: October 02, 2023, 11:57:34 AM »

Lani - I can feel soreness creeping in my neck and knee...thank God it wasn't winter..by the time I fell Ollie and I were trying to get away in a home's yard, as I kept looking for somewhere to hide. So, I just fell on the grass but still unexpectedly..after getting up and walking down the block frantically and now both of them following us just as quickly is when I used my mace...didn't hit the dogs, just the tar and air...but the larger one probably got a wiff and eventually they went the other direction.

{{{Kb and Ollie}}} How terrifying for you both  :(. sorry this happened. This is what I've learned from our dog classes in Scottsdale.
We took rattlesnake, wild animal and dog off leash training years ago.

What to Do When Approached By An Off-Leash Dog
https://www.preventivevet.com/dogs/what-to-do-when-approached-by-an-off-leash-dog

Thanks, Lani.all good techniques and I used all of them without the first one relenting and then after the second one joined the first. I am intensely focused and aware as Ollie is now leash reactive after his first violent attack by a different dog...meaning if he sees an unleashed dog he barks...neither dog picked up on Ollie's reaction, neither dog retreated when I raised my one hand and screamed loudly back, stop, and no. In fact they approached rapidly alone and then together circling us. I did as fast as I could get myself up off the ground look for somewhere I could put Ollie..I can no longer pick him up but still looked. I also do this for coyote...look for places to put Ollie that is.
Both as quickly as I and Ollie tried to retreat they followed. It's only then I turned around and sprayed making sure not to hit the dog..I frankly was surprised the smell in the air and street was enough eventually to have them both retreat.

Nonetheless, this is why I am constantly on guard with Ollie and always take a turn down another block when I see a dog walker on a leash even...

This one came out of the bushes of a house yard and was running towards us, the second one was in the mode of helping the smaller one and joined in "the hunt"

I'm so glad I carry mace now. Ollie is trained as well...However, once bitten by an off leash dog (twice by same dog) I don't think he'll ever be the same....very sad.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:59:47 AM by kbshcb »

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #9751 on: October 02, 2023, 12:11:32 PM »

some bounce
Wow... (Jim, Phyl) (Ollie, KB). So sorry.
Gee, and I was almost ready to complain about the cooler water in the pool this morning. Nope. Very glad to be back.
Not happy that squirrel and/or birds are after our grass seed however.
Laundry day. BBL

I intended to add... KB .. yes! Get more mace...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 12:56:18 PM by camperstig »
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #9752 on: October 02, 2023, 12:24:56 PM »

Kb, it's absolutely frightening.

My dog Barkley and I went through the same thing in Scottsdale off-leash dogs that attacked him on leash. Bit him and me, that's why we took vet arranged classes. Also, we have mountain lions, we need to be aware. I carry bear mace spray. Sadie is much more sensitive to outside influences, so she doesn't know it's on me. She doesn't like it if I use a ski pole when walking in the snow. She thinks I will hit her with it. One of our hiking buddies used a fog horn to chase off a coyote. Sadie ran in the opposite direction with me barely hanging on to the leash. Someone used the fog horn to stop a dog fight at the dog park. Well, now she won't go to that dog park, and when she sees that owner she cowers and cries. Now, the friends we walk with know Sadie's habits. If she sees or hears loud and unexpected physical action from them, she never wants to be near them again. LOL! So, I have to be very much in control of my emotions to make her comfortable and feel safe with me.  I know everyone here knows the story about the geese that flew over us suddenly and what happened. She hates birds that fly over her. So, migrating season she's on alert. She's like an elephant, she never forgets or forgives.  :-\.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #9753 on: October 02, 2023, 12:37:23 PM »

Lani - awe....it's great to know someone who knows what it's like..although we haven't heard of too many mountain lions, er um lately that is!...trying to put a bit of humor in very terrifying situations.

And mostly so sad for the dogs forever changed...We who always do the things we are supposed to: license train, leash, vaccinate etc...are always the one who pay for humans irresponsibility.

Although I hold no one responsible for the geese personally..again, I'm actually trying to lighten my terror.

I'm also very very sore.

But, but the community is very empathic to me and one even offered to be my walking buddy going forward.
As you know I miss Vi and Chris is still hit or miss

karengramke

« Reply #9754 on: October 02, 2023, 01:08:59 PM »

My reason for leaving my house in Fairhope was the lack of a large yard!  Walked 3 dogs ,4 times a day which was great until a pack of wild dogs began showing up!  They were quite large and killed a neighbors cat!   Quite nerve wracking!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 03:05:02 PM by karengramke »

LisaG1967

« Reply #9755 on: October 02, 2023, 02:15:21 PM »

clynn - Great post and pics from Sue Bruhling. 

kb - So sorry to hear about your morning walk with Ollie. 

tsk - Do you want me to send you some Cocoa K-cups?  I have seen them in my store.  Enjoy your girls visit.

E4E - Cute morning greeting, too.

Lani - I love all those smells, too. Thanks for the TRR info and pics.

karen
- We are having a nice sunny day, too.  Had to close the windows this morning, cause ole Pepe' was stinking up my yard outside my bedroom window this morning!  ::)

tig - Sorry about the birdies and squirrels eating your grass seed.

kbshcb

« Reply #9756 on: October 02, 2023, 02:36:12 PM »

tig - same thing here on grass seed....It's not uncommon for me to run out front and chase a blue jay away from eating my grass seed.....LOL

Yeah I have another mace thingy on my car key holder....I will check out my current mace for effectiveness, but I have another and in that case will buy another.

Some here buy bear mace!

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #9757 on: October 02, 2023, 03:00:44 PM »

;D

T40, I'm a big fan of Sister Felicity Immaculata.  :) :-*
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9758 on: October 02, 2023, 03:24:39 PM »

KB   What an awful experience.  Not even safe to take a walk with your dog.  We are a  walking Mecca around my neighborhood. - No dog not leashed.  Very sad situation for you.

LANI   I hardly use my disposal either.   Thanks for the sloth update - No deaths this time  :)   Pretty good article for KB  I like the umbrella idea.  she could practice with it in the house with Ollie first.  Throwing treats is also good.    Sadie is a very sensitive pup  :-*

LISA    :-*  that's OK  The K-cups will show up.  I have a couple others stores  I can try
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #9759 on: October 02, 2023, 03:43:12 PM »

tsk - yes, love the umbrella....however, alone I carry a water bottle on my left hand, Ollie's leash and mace in my right hand.

Sometimes it's too fast to comprehend and react.....when Scott and I witnessed Ollie being attacked by a dog he was carrying a heavy cane. Even he didn't react fast enough.

Can't see myself carrying an umbrella. Nope..

I just need people to keep their dogs secure...and do the best I can.

Hate to say it but I think one has to be a long time dog walker to really understand...Thanks though.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 03:45:04 PM by kbshcb »

baziunc

« Reply #9760 on: October 02, 2023, 03:51:48 PM »

Waving to All the Beakers.  :)

((Jim and Phyl and Jim's car))

((KB and Ollie))

KB, do you think the big, full, Harvest Moon moonlight maybe had anything to do with Ollie getting up and being so active those several nights? It was bright through my windows... like a light was on outside.

Clynn, my mother also made tuna casseroles and meatloaf regularly when I was growing up. Sometimes she would use crushed Lays potato chips as the topping on the tuna casserole - that was my favorite part. LOL.

Take care, All.  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

kbshcb

« Reply #9761 on: October 02, 2023, 03:57:59 PM »

Lani - Hmm, and wow....perhaps yes, I hadn't thought about that....thanks for the reminder.

baziunc

« Reply #9762 on: October 02, 2023, 04:05:56 PM »

KB, I know you posted it to Lani, but are you talking about the moonlight... or something else?

For those who use garbage disposals, here's a list of no-nos... just some good reminders, and a few tips:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/15-things-you-should-never-put-down-a-garbage-disposal/

Have a good evening, Beakers.  :)

baziunc

« Reply #9763 on: October 02, 2023, 04:20:22 PM »

Oh, I forgot... Beakers may have seen a blurb about this on the national and local news... but for those who haven't heard about it, there will be a nationwide emergency alert test this coming Wednesday - going out to mobile phones, TV, and radio...

Here is a description of what will happen, and what you will see and hear (just scroll past the pesky embedded ads - the story is not long):
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/10/01/emergency-alert-test-what-to-know/70981620007/

kbshcb

« Reply #9764 on: October 02, 2023, 05:01:50 PM »

Baz - yes, moonlight

BTW, someone posted they saw the Richfield Animal Control pull up and talk to the owners of the two dogs.
Yes I did call them but reluctantly and only after multiple requests I do. Must be know as I waited a few hours to decompress.
Apparently, they get out frequently.

Hopefully they will secure their dogs.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 05:08:40 PM by kbshcb »