Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470254 times)

kbshcb

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #9495 on: September 25, 2023, 07:56:11 PM »

kb that's crazy dry for that water non fall at this time of year.   :o

I know!...good questions you asked tig..I'm waiting for her replies. :)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #9496 on: September 25, 2023, 08:27:39 PM »

I'm feeling a little flush.....

Hi Mich-pip! Good to see your post.
Sorry if you're feeling a little flushed  ???
Take care  :)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

oldguy

« Reply #9497 on: September 25, 2023, 09:41:36 PM »

North Shore trees

The article mentioned that the color was from maples.  The predominate deciduous trees in NE Minn. are Aspen, Ash and Birch.  For some reason this narrow north shore area is mostly Maples.  Maples and Oaks are a signature of an old forest.  I found a report that said that the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park was mostly Aspen and Birch and that the area had been extensively logged around the 1900s.  Much of the interior lake area is evergreens, which crowd out the deciduous trees in the thin soil/rocky terrain of the Boundary Waters area.  So, did they not log the Northern part of the North Shore or is the soil type/thickness different from the Lighthouse Park area?  In most locations of the US, the amount of daylight is the predominate factor of color onset.  The only factor I can come up with that could cause the early change would be fog.  This area of Superior is known for heavy fog in late summer coming off of the lake.  This would be a significant reduction of sunlight, especially in the early mornings.

I believe that this man is the person behind the camera for Waltersanti...
When stray cats see this man, they compete with each other to get a place on his lap.   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFysjEmIjs
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

BrokenLug

« Reply #9498 on: September 25, 2023, 10:59:24 PM »

U. S. A.

oldguy

« Reply #9499 on: September 25, 2023, 11:23:20 PM »

A kids band that began in 2015 with 3 and expanded to 5 in 2018.  Ages 13-20 from Winsor Ont. area.  They released a 7 song CD last year of original songs.
https://leavethosekidsaloneband.com/about-bios/
A 1 hour live set from yesterday...
Leave Those Kids Alone   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsdYIYv_KNc
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #9500 on: September 25, 2023, 11:25:36 PM »

I don't dare bounce...  :-[
BL... it was me on the porch. Camper was prolly off cam by the car.
We drive up the road to Oberg Mtn. trailhead and then continue to the end of Onion Rd. where there is a turn around and clearing where he can fly safely and not disturb or be disturbed. You have better skills to determine that distance inland. I think types of trees and topography affecting how cold they get are determining factors. ??
Tnx. OldGuy
Mich  pip ...  lol... at least 36 times and still counting. TMI

Aw... one of my childhood crushes... R.I.P.  Illya. https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/david-mccallum-dead-ncis-man-from-uncle-1235734772/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 11:33:22 PM by camperstig »
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #9501 on: September 25, 2023, 11:27:04 PM »

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #9502 on: September 25, 2023, 11:29:18 PM »

I'm feeling a little flush.....

LOL. However, I'm hoping you're doing 'Okay'. All the best.
Oh. Now I get it.   ::)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 11:35:12 PM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #9503 on: September 25, 2023, 11:33:00 PM »

I don't dare bounce...  :-[
BL... it was me on the porch. Camper was prolly off cam by the car.
We drive up the road to Oberg Mtn. trailhead and then continue to the end of Onion Rd. where there is a turn around and clearing where he can fly safely and not disturb or be disturbed. You have better skills to determine that distance inland. I think types of trees and topography affecting how cold they get are determining factors. ??
Tnx. OldGuy
Mich  pip ...  lol... at least 36 times and still counting. TMI

Awwww. {{{Tig}}} . Hoping you get a good test result tomorrow. Your 'tender' bum.
Enjoyed the new set of snaps for you/Camper's little vaca of sorts.  Sure wish the snap if the cabin showed more detail.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 11:38:30 PM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #9504 on: September 25, 2023, 11:53:58 PM »

Tks. ((Tig}} RIP David McCallum. Yeah, I enjoyed watching him too.

BL awesome 'ice' snaps of the Minnehaha Falls in winter. Bet that walk was an ethereal experience. thanks

Kb so sad about the drought and the toll it takes on rivers/lakes

Oldguy thanks.  Great song and those kid's performance too.  Luv the stray cat video

Tomorrow I'm gonna be in a whole new world when MS downloads Win11 updates and forces it's AI program 'CoPilot' into my PC. No privacy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 11:59:51 PM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #9505 on: September 25, 2023, 11:56:42 PM »

Oldguy, I loved the stray cats vid. Are you saying you think the man in that video is Walter Santi?

KB, glad the carnitas turned out yummy, and Chris liked it, too.

M-P, LOL! I'm guessing you're referencing Tig's earlier post? Hope you're not ill.

Tig, good luck tomorrow.

Lisa, I'm glad to know my at-home "fail" with the fried green tomatoes maybe was related to what you mentioned. So I will try the way you posted, and see if I can get mine to turn out better than my last attempt. It's rare that I fry any kind of veggie, because I try to stay away from fried food, but sometimes a good fried veggie just is too good to pass up as a treat. But I have a poor track record with that - the fried coating almost always falls off, and then I try to save it, and end up eating the fried veggie without the coating, and push some of the cooked coating that fell off onto my fork in the same bite. LOL!  ::)

TSK, your fried green tomatoes sound like they turned out really yum!

KB, I sent my Lil Sis to Minnehaha Falls when she was there a few weeks ago, and set her expectations regarding the drought and how much less water there would be at those falls. She said they went to that park to visit the falls, and, yeah, they were suffering from the drought. I wish she could've seen them in their more glorious state.

Phyl, glad you opted for some lunch. It was a late lunch for me for sure - I'm an hour ahead of you, so that turned out to be late lunch/early supper for me.

Good night, Beakers. Peace. SED.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 12:00:01 AM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Phyl

« Reply #9506 on: September 26, 2023, 12:00:16 AM »

Sending a "Good Evening' with SEDs  to Everyone !

#IstandwithEvan

BrokenLug

« Reply #9507 on: September 26, 2023, 12:13:15 AM »

U. S. A.

BrokenLug

« Reply #9508 on: September 26, 2023, 12:28:54 AM »

BL awesome 'ice' snaps of the Minnehaha Falls in winter. Bet that walk was an ethereal experience. thanks

Sure footed like a rope crampon tied in ice axe goat comes to mind.

That's a very sketchy place at best. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 12:40:53 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #9509 on: September 26, 2023, 01:06:14 AM »

I know this spring and early summer I posted pictures of this Minnehaha Falls flowing fast from our winter melt.....this is it now, after our summer drought :(
Might start to trick after tonight, LOL

KB, that's sad
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander