Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 471061 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #9390 on: September 23, 2023, 06:39:34 AM »

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

LisaG1967

« Reply #9391 on: September 23, 2023, 06:48:08 AM »

Good Morning Beakers.....It's Caturday!

Phyl - Pretty Autumn pic. Hope you and Jim's arm start to feel better today.  Hmmm, I don't think I have seen any Autumn M&M's in any of the stores that I have been to.

oldguy - Thanks for letting us know how Lori's area.  Glad you didn't get what she got.  Lori check in please!  Thanks for videos!

Lani - Waiting for your next update on UQ.

Lori - Oops, I see you did check in about the weather.  Hope you and Destini are safe. 

tsk - Sounds like a fun day for you.  We did grocery shopping on this side of the bridge, so we didn't have to go over.  We were in and out of grocery in less than an hour. 

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9392 on: September 23, 2023, 07:15:32 AM »

WELCOME TO THE FIRST DAY OF AUTUMN AND IT'S CATURDAY

LORI   Very cute "hobbit houses"  ;D  Yikes - All the attn. on the east coast and you're in the basement!!  But I see "all clear."

PHYL  What's wrong with Jim's ankle - I missed something?  Good that he will speak to doc before that booster...

LANI   So is it good bye to UQ?  He snuck away on his own without a lot of cheering ?

OLDGUY   Only one remaining Moody Blues - one of my all time favs.  Will catch Who's the boss later - gotta run soon.

Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #9393 on: September 23, 2023, 07:30:57 AM »

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/09/20/oaks-vs-squirrels-a-battle-is-underway-in-some-minnesota-trees-and-its-nuts

It's what's called a mast year in Minnesota this year for oak trees...I walk home with Ollie man under one of these trees that looks like a tornado hit it...crunch crunch on the ground with leaves and small branches scattered everywhere...4 houses to the south of me.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1704849635158941802
go pro attached to what looks like a golden eagle in the snowy mountains.
For me it visually "describes" the peaceful quiet of snow...

Happy Saturday all

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #9394 on: September 23, 2023, 07:43:29 AM »

Good Morning Beakers! It's CATURDAY again!

Phyl, oh those kitty shames! Harley got me yesterday, Ed and Kelsey were gone and I hadn't seen him for a few hours. So I started the search. The main level, the deck. Upstairs, checking all the rooms and closets. Down to the basement. No Harley. Repeat the whole search again and when I come up from the basement, he is sitting on the table like King of the Hill. That is why they call him Turdbutt.  ;D ;D  Good idea to have Jim check with his Dr. on getting the new Covid vaccine.  Love the Cormorant silhouette at Stony Point! And love the covered bridge! Autumn is always just so beautiful!

oldguy, thanks for all the good Moody Blues music, they are one of my favorites. Saw them here in Des Moines in 1997, right after I moved to Iowa. I can still hear it... You were pretty close to the storm last evening, I am surprised you got so little!  Supposed to start raining here around 1:00 and continue way into the night. We shall see.

Lani, do you think UQ has fledged? Of course it's dark there right now but I don't see anything that looks like a head... Maybe we will see him soaring around the area later today.

tig, beautiful fall pics by Camper!

Lori, so relieved to hear you and Destini are safe once again! Love all the Hobbit habitats!

tsk, great story of Grandpa and how he got a second piece of pie! My Grandma was a wonderful cook (weren't they all good cooks back in the day...). I do remember one time there was one spot in her custard pie where the crust was thicker than the custard! It had bubbled up, I think. They all got a good laugh over that, and they ate every bit of it! I remember that scene so well, all of us (Dad was on summer leave) my two Aunts and one Uncle plus Grandma and Grandpa around the table full of good food. No running water yet, there was a pump by the kitchen sink, and a pump outside. All water from the well. Oops, off on a tangent...

kb, thanks for the article on oak trees! We have a BIG oak tree to the right of our driveway, it shades my car in the summer. It is having a huge amount of acorns this year, and much bigger acorns than usual! Now I know it's an unexplained normal thing! I have noticed way fewer squirrels this summer, sometimes I don't see any all day. About five years ago Ed caught 12  (live trap) on one weekend (relocated them to the nature preserve).

Lisa, glad you didn't have to do the bridge! I try not to go to Sams, Costco or Walmart on the weekends, and I have no bridge to cross! We had a 10 car pileup on I-80 about a mile from our house, that was the excitement that I stayed away from!

Southwest Florida Eagle Cam - It’s almost GO Time! 🟢🟢🟢
We are completely revamping our infrastructure this year after Hurricane Ian hit us hard last season. Just a few more days of work and then we hope to announce the launch of Season 12. (Photo by MLiz Photography)     www.SWFLEagleCam.com

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

karengramke

« Reply #9395 on: September 23, 2023, 08:43:12 AM »

Good morning Beakers and Happy Caturday!
Nice cool morning today but temperatures will be in the low 90 s for a few days with clear sunny skies and no rain!
I hope Bazi and Zippo stayed safe and dry when the ts/hurricane made landfall in N.C. . Hopefully there is no power lost in either the Guys or the Bazi homes!
Lori, sure hope that when you and Destiny  crept out of the basement you found your property undamaged!  Let us hear from you!
Lovely Fall pictures again!
Bl have you landed in AK?
Lani, m15 s  new lady is thought to be very young!  If that is the case he will be a good one to teach her!  If she doesnt behave hey can can kick hrt i. The side, ala Harriet!

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #9396 on: September 23, 2023, 09:13:23 AM »

It's Caturday!

Puff - Caesar salad recipe looks delicious - thank you! :)

Lani - Thank you for Bearstudy  We still had a lot of smoke in our area yesterday - today should be much better - fingers crossed! :)  Love UQ pic  ;D  We had a nice afternoon (yesterday) running errands and taking care of business - great to be retired and do these things during the week! ;D

Bazi - You put a 'dent' in some of the treats you bought for the weekend Lol - nothing wrong with that!  ;D

Tig - Your new sidewalk is beautiful!! Love all the pics - is that you sitting out front at the cabin? 8)

Tsk - Glad a fun day at miniature golf was had by all - love how you guys chose who would get the trophy - no surprise that you got a hole in one! ;D
The recyclables we took in were for CA CRV.   We have curbside pick up too, but we put stuff in there that is not labeled CA CRV. :)

Lori - Like the little boy and the rescued pups  :-* 

Phyl - I must have missed something about Jim's ankle - hope it feels better soon.

Karen  :)

OG - Thanks for all links! 

LisaG - Good that you & Jeff did your shopping closer to home and avoided going over the bridge. :)

Clynn - Like your Autumn post!  Good to see the work going on at SWFL  :)

Beakers have a beautiful autumn day  :)

BrokenLug

« Reply #9397 on: September 23, 2023, 10:15:05 AM »

How are all the East Coast Beakers making out with TS Ophelia .. Bazi .. Lisa ?

LoriD everything OK at your place in IA ??

We should be fine here in North NJ, just a breezy/rainy washout of a weekend.

U. S. A.

karengramke

« Reply #9398 on: September 23, 2023, 10:54:11 AM »

Bl, thought you said u were going to ak with your shotgun/rifle?  A pipe dream?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 01:15:05 PM by karengramke »

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #9399 on: September 23, 2023, 11:50:29 AM »

E4E... yep  ;D
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #9400 on: September 23, 2023, 12:00:21 PM »

Happy Caturday Beakers!  :)
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Kb and Beakers, yes, I think UQ has fledged or he is out of sight and below the hill. When UQ moved to the left off cam's vision the cam operator moved too quickly to the left thinking he would hover. Well, he didn't he probably went down the hill. I haven't seen him or his white top. You could always see the white of his head in the dark on his 2nd nest. This is the latest lady Hawk video of him. There is not chat room and they don't allow comments on their youtube channel. I went to their facebook page and asked a question. 

Royal Albatross ~ Time To Ring Those Bells! First Albies Are Back! UQ Skycalls A Parent!   :-*  9.23.23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrtWSAV4t1k&t=11s

Sep 22, 2023
We have only 9 chicks left on the headland - 24 have fledged so far! And it is time to ring those bells! The first returning albatross have arrived back to the colony (GBK a 20 year old male and YGK a 30 year old female).  Ranger Sharyn has said "Both GBK and YKG have been away from the headland and waters around New Zealand since January 2023. Feeding in the waters around South America during the winter gets the toroa in condition for the next breeding season at Pukekura.

YKG last fledged a chick in 2020 but her mate has not been seen since 2021. GBK is also a bereaved toroa and last fledged a chick in 2017. It is hoped that since they are both looking for a new mate that they may pair up. Egg laying is in November so we should know in a couple of months whether they will breed for the 2023/23 season or not.

To celebrate these new seasons arrivals the Royal Albatross Centre will organize bells to ring on Monday 25th September at 1 pm. The celebration of bell ringing is a great reminder for people to take care of the ocean where the toroa spend over 85% of their lives."

For those in the USA it will take place on Sunday Sept 24th 6:00PM PST/ 9:00PM EST and Hawaii time 3:00PM.

UQ is 235 days old today and he continues to do his wing exercises showing off those incredible 3 meter (10 feet long) wingspan. Simply gorgeous! He then heads down the track and comes back as a ranger takes a chick head count to see who has fledged and who is still here. UQ does more hops, flaps and paddle walking before he stops to gaze out over the ocean imprinting his home upon his heart. We are going to miss UQ when he gets ready to leave soon. Thank you for watching!

Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

Kb, I just received a facebook reply from a poster on the The Royal Albatross Center fb website. She sent me 3 posts, here is the last two. When you and I saw him go to the left that was the last anyone saw him too. We'll need to wait and hear from the rangers. I'm sure they will post something today.

Stacy L wrote: I just watched again, walked off cam at 14:50, cam didn’t move to the left until 14:53, so no idea where he went. Hopefully he just went down the slope near his nest to sleep. I can’t imagine that he fledged, there was barely any wind. Sharyn, the ranger, said it’s unlikely for them to fledge under 5 knots.

Stacy L wrote: I just checked the port website, wind speed was favorable. It didn’t look windy on the cam. 😞 I’ll be happy for him if he left, but sad that I missed it. Going to miss UQ. He helped me get over Manaaki leaving 🙂

Beautiful UQ, I snipped this pic yesterday at 8:07am New Zealand time, Saturday 23rd - baby fuzz no more!  :-*
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 12:18:45 PM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9401 on: September 23, 2023, 12:12:10 PM »

Thought Nature 365 was somewhat pertinent today considering some of the conversation of late.  ;) ;
https://www.nature365.tv/video/2023-09-23-hornet

OLDGUY   "Your car is the Boss" - good one and so true.

KB   With those go-pro cams it doesn't look like the eagle is flapping its wings.  I know sometimes they soar....I can't ever remember a time when there weren't a lot of squirrels due to acorn scarcity.  LOLOL

CLYNN  We call those actions " magic cat"  ;D  Turdbutt is a good one tho  ;) ;)    Loved your remembrance story.  I remember the days at Grandma and Grandpa's cabin where we had to use an outhouse!! and the pump.  Then the magic happened and they built a bathroom add on and running water.  Were we kids happy  ;D    It will be exciting at SWFL with the upgrades.

EAGLES  One of the top 5 benefits of being retired - Getting business done during weekdays  ;D

BL  thought you were headed to AK?

LANI  thanks for that 9-22 Albie report of the returnees.    So UQ has not yet fledged I see.  Beautiful phot of UQ in all his glory

Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #9402 on: September 23, 2023, 12:27:11 PM »

Thanks, Lani....I look forward to any confirmations..

LisaG1967

« Reply #9403 on: September 23, 2023, 12:33:29 PM »

BL - It has been a steady light rain all morning, but the wind picks up and gusts every now and then.  Weather girl says, we should start feeling a lil more of Ophelia this afternoon between 4 & 5 pm.

E4E - Cute Happy Fall greeting. 

karen - Still have power here...fingers crossed we do not lose it. 

clynn - I think I would have stayed away from that 10 car pile up too!  Yay, SWFL is getting ready for another season!

kb - Happy Saturday!

tsk - Cute Caturday greeting.  Thanks for the Nature 365, I have missed seeing those. 

Lani - Thanks for the latest Royal update!

Hi to tig, Puff, and all
  :)

T40cfr403

« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:23:04 PM by T40cfr403 »
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring