Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470374 times)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #9225 on: September 18, 2023, 11:24:12 AM »

Royal Albatross ~ Dedicated Super Dad GLY Returns A 2nd Time Looking For His Manaaki 💗💞💗 9.18.23
Sep 17, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J1NQgMOCz8

Just like Mama Lime, GLY has also returned two times looking for Manaaki not knowing that their big boy has fledged. UQ chick is so hopeful the parent is for him but alas it is not. GLY comes to his nest and lies down in it and sniffs it for Manaaki's scent. The albatross have a very keen sense of smell and he is searching to see if Manaaki had been here recently. GLY is a very dedicated Dad - just like Mama Lime - they are both two outstanding parents.

I have to say this second visit did get to me seeing that they do everything in their power to make sure their chick is fed and cared for. It is sad to see the empty place where our Prince Manaaki spent 7.5 months lovingly tending to his nest! It is more than just instinctual - they are emotionally connected to their chick. They must see how empty the colony is by now and know that the time is drawing near for their own departure to South America. Thank you GLY for an outstanding year of devotion you have displayed to your mate and to your big boy Manaaki. Stay safe and godspeed GLY. Till we meet again...💗💞💗 Thank you for watching!

Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #9226 on: September 18, 2023, 11:32:42 AM »

Royal Albatross ~ UQ Dual Hovers w/ Another Chick! Crashes A Feeding & Takes Short Cut Home 9.18.23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJXzfoblZ6c&t=106s

Sep 18, 2023
UQ chick hears another chick wheeing and getting fed by a parent down the track to the right and of course, he has to paddle over there to crash the party. UQ is now taking Manaaki's place as the parent crasher! He then starts to walk back towards his nest but decides to take a short cut and flight express hovering home instead! So much more efficient and so fast!!

UQ will head to Top Flat and is seen hovering in sync with another chick! Very cool to watch the dual hover. I am not sure if that one chick fledged or just came down out of cam view. UQ makes his sneaky way back to his spot. Then it is back over to Top Flat again! Rangers check to see who is up there and Julia reports is was UQ. He is seen hovering again and then out of view. UQ shows back up in his spot again. Another exciting and fun day for UQ - I am glad he found a new friend to fly with! Thank you for watching!

Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

The rangers give UQ a feeding late yesterday.

He/she tries

and tries

then settled for the night near Manaaki's nest and moved down hill to his own nest later that night.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #9227 on: September 18, 2023, 11:42:29 AM »

Oh Lani.....so sad...and glad at the same time, sad to see the committed parents take turns to figure it out..

I feel bad for UQ....someone on a post from Lady Hawk said only one parent is feeding UQ?...don't know if that is true or not...I hope the Rangers feed UQ one more time before fledging....

Eek, I was out front watering my grass seed (over seeding and some rough spots along street and then my ligularia and a few perennials....I noticed my cat on my red box was leaning left and went over to explore with my hose an watered cat down.....out jumped 4 mice from inside the red box they had broken and that's why my cat was leaning...there is a piece of wood on top of the box and a tiny opening.
I am bringing cat inside early, hosed the inside of box out and filled it up and tipped it over.
I may never touch that box again!...i hate mice....it's outside but clearly a nest of some type inside it.
Am leaving it tipped on it's side for now and when I get up the courage I'll either throw it away or get brave enough to open it up and clean it out....I'm guessing the first one.

Lani

« Reply #9228 on: September 18, 2023, 12:24:08 PM »

Kb, UQ is on the left of the cam screen. You can see the white top of its head, It's 520am Tuesday morning there. UQ moved back to its original nest lower on the hill from Manaaki. Let's pray UQ will be able to fly the skies and join her friends today! 🙏

The mice are looking for a warm place to nest for the winter.
Have Chris pick up the box and run. LOL!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 12:25:52 PM by Lani »

LisaG1967

« Reply #9229 on: September 18, 2023, 12:34:02 PM »

Lani - Thanks for keeping up with the Royal kids.  I sure hope UQ can join her friends soon. Good to see Otis!

kb - Oh, mice give me the heebee geebees, and I would be throwing the box away, too.  ;D

Afternoon tig and E4E  :)

kbshcb

« Reply #9230 on: September 18, 2023, 12:47:09 PM »

Kb, UQ is on the left of the cam screen. You can see the white top of its head, It's 520am Tuesday morning there. UQ moved back to its original nest lower on the hill from Manaaki. Let's pray UQ will be able to fly the skies and join her friends today! 🙏

LOL, good one...Chris is afraid of spiders!.....I hate to say it but there is such a thing as arachnophobia..is there a word for fear of mice?...miceaphobia.....I just made it up...
yes, I need to pay attention outside where they might be deciding to hole up for the winter and get after them!
I have a chipmunk problem in back in the rocks where a previous willow tree once stood...we are having a war...i throw large rocks in, add dirt, and then more rocks....next day: they open up a new hole nearby.
I will win and not give up!

Lisa - yes tomorrow I might find it in me to add to the garbage bin....next year, I'll have to find some other make shift stand for big kitty.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 12:49:22 PM by kbshcb »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #9231 on: September 18, 2023, 01:07:54 PM »

KB  Another pretty fall photo

KAREN   It wasn't too long ago we had some snow on Halloween - Felt bad for the kids.

LISA   Would be a whole new world and less stress on the other side of the bridge.   You never know...Sure hope the plan works.

EAGLES  No more soreness  ;D

LANI   Awww  Otis's Lifetime Achievement.  That scrawny pic of him was hard to look at, And he can still run  ;D   Thanks for the great Albatross report.  Such dedicated parenting and interesting how parents only feed their own.

KB   That is such a pretty area where your trees and yard art are.   MUSOPHOBIA
Chicagoland

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #9232 on: September 18, 2023, 01:47:37 PM »

HAPPY DAY, BEAKERS!  :)

Thanks, LANI!  :-*(((OTIS))) (((MANAAKI and GLY and L)))  :-* :-* :-*  (((UQ chick, and hopeful that UQ's parents are okay)))  :-* :-* :-* (((RA Rangers and Team)))  :-* :-* :-*

KAREN, LOL on Piper keeping the squirrels out!  :-*  Piper says, "Let's chase the squirrels around the yard, all the livelong day! Release the hounds!"  ;D  I love pizza for breakfast. I want some!!  :D

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #9233 on: September 18, 2023, 02:22:54 PM »

Lani, thank you so much for all the Royam Cam news today! I felt sad for GLY and L both looking for their big boy Manaaki, so sweet that they both came back twice to look for him! Hope UQ and his friend are able to join the other young fledgsters very soon! That piece was very well written, you can tell the writer loves the Albys! Bless those rangers that care for all of them!  And Otis, he is a master at catching the salmon, he doesn't even need the falls! He looked so skinny in that one pic, but he is fattening up. It won't be too long before it's nap time again!

kb, mice make me scream! Eeek!

Lani, our HVAC was 22 years old before we replaced it. And I am not sure it actually needed replacement then! An HVAC company offered a free inspection, then told us something was cracked inside of something or other and we needed to replace it. We weren't having trouble with it, only a couple of minor repairs in the past. We kind of felt hoodwinked, but c'est la vie...

baz, I love breakfast pizza for breakfast! But I don't think that's what you ate! Awww, Lil' Punkin with her 'paper dolls'! Bella has the one I see in the purple tray! She looks like she is having fun! And Lil' Bro has FOOD on his mind! What a cutie, love his curls!

Lisa, thanks for the map of the new routes, the picture clears up everything!  :o :o

karen, Piper is keeping you safe, what a good girl!

Black Eagle Project Roodekrans - BEPR Monitors reported over the weekend that the Juvenile is doing just fine. Here is a photo taken yesterday by Buster Shipster of Juve 23 enjoying her new found freedom.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

Puff

« Reply #9234 on: September 18, 2023, 03:38:42 PM »

Lani   No,no, no, tell Ken to do himself and the aide a favor.  There's space to check in any airlines' online (or you can call) to ask for a ride from the door to the gate and vicsa versa - or from the door of the plane to the luggage carousel/front door - for just a tip like what you give a server at a restaurant.  You probably have seen people with some roller wheelchair when you leave the plane.  They're waiting for someone who wants it easy.  There's no fussing or sweat or taking of breaks.  They take care of any carryon or pull it off the carousel.  I know PHX airlines have the service; I've used it there.  I've never since I have the an issue then last 3-4 years been with an airline that doesn't provide the service.  Never have found any airport/airline no matter how small that doesn't accommodate.

Worst romp I ever/never would have taken was a connection in Germany . . .Connection flight from 1 terminal to another is (I swear to God) 1 1/2 miles.   I asked. They had lots of stairs down, then to get up to the door they used a supply loading platform, safely strapped in wheelchair,  elevators up and down on both ends.  Oh yeah, and then there was an under-the-runways tunnel between the two terminals.  Without help I'd still be trekking along in Germany.  Oh yeah, and I just remembered Tony - he has a walking stick and better legs  (only because he had both hip and knee replacements).  He protested at start with his male ego at work that he didn't need the chair.  Yeah Sure!  Aide finally convinced him - he would never have made it.  Zip, zip, zip  One younger lady, both of us on a chair, both delivered to that second plane.

Try it, you'll like it.  I just remembered - have to add:  There is minimal line waiting.  Wheelchair people get us special consideration (potty stops, water fountain, TSA, elevators, seating in gate area, special loading, aisle seats).  Just flag your record.

P
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 03:43:36 PM by Puff »

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #9235 on: September 18, 2023, 03:48:55 PM »

LOL, good one...Chris is afraid of spiders!.....I hate to say it but there is such a thing as arachnophobia..is there a word for fear of mice?...miceaphobia.....I just made it up...
yes, I need to pay attention outside where they might be deciding to hole up for the winter and get after them!
I have a chipmunk problem in back in the rocks where a previous willow tree once stood...we are having a war...i throw large rocks in, add dirt, and then more rocks....next day: they open up a new hole nearby.
I will win and not give up!

Lisa - yes tomorrow I might find it in me to add to the garbage bin....next year, I'll have to find some other make shift stand for big kitty.
[/quote]

The fear of mice and rats is called:  Musophobia
And is defined as follows:  https://cpdonline.co.uk/knowledge-base/mental-health/musophobia/

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

kbshcb

« Reply #9236 on: September 18, 2023, 03:53:19 PM »

Thanks Phyl and tsk....

I don't think my fear is irrational however.....but I'll call it that in a cliche way!.....LOL.

Phyl

« Reply #9237 on: September 18, 2023, 03:55:59 PM »

Good Morning .W

Talk about Phyls pizza made me haul a slice out of the freezer for breakfast!

You know I pert near  pulled out a piece of the 8 leftover slices from the freezer to have w/ some coffee after reading your post.

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #9238 on: September 18, 2023, 03:58:04 PM »

Thanks Phyl and tsk....

I don't think my fear is irrational however.....but I'll call it that in a cliche way!.....LOL.

If I had seen her reply I'd skipped posting all about it. Ooooops!

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #9239 on: September 18, 2023, 04:12:39 PM »

Tsk Tina Fey is in a HP movie? How'd she land that part I wonder  :o  Nice autumnal temps

KB very nice autumn foliage in Tofte, MN. Thanks

Lisa thanks for the map of the 'route' . Unless one is familiar with a place it's diffiuclt to picture.   Well, tell Jeff if he moves accross the 'bridge' now,  the new place will be paid off much faster.  ;)  :)

{{{tig}}} blessed 'Heavenly Birthday' to your parents

E4E what a cute AM graphic today-a delish combo too

Lani     ;)   Otis's Lifetime  Achievement award, he's so think relieved that today was a good fish and feast day. Luv the photos too.  Tks for the Royals update and photos. Do keep us posted on GLY and L w/regard to Manaaki . I know at some point they'll stop looking/waiting for him. But still.  Thanks to Lady Hawk for the videos/you sharing.This pair of BBs come and go---98% of the time I always miss seeing them to catch a snap. But if I do... ;)

#IstandwithEvan