Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470444 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #8730 on: September 04, 2023, 10:28:22 AM »

Tsk it was for us---under contents/power outage and always subject to deductible. If the loss is less than the deductible---no paym'nt. Didn't know about the tax deduction either---but, if true,  I'm sure there's a qualifying amount

KB mossy frog , yep amazing camo

E4E we had cheeseburgers last night---Wendy's as I don't 'cook' on Sundays. Sadly no tequila for Margaritas . When we first moved to Nashville  we had
visited JB's Margaritaville too.  This city isn't at a loss for eateries, bars or churches.

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Puff

« Reply #8731 on: September 04, 2023, 11:20:26 AM »

Clynn  The article you quoted on JB was golden.  Thanks

More explaining flag steps. . .My flag pole is 7+ feet.  I'm now 5'1".  That makes that top latch a bit high for mah.  And remember, Ton was always shorter than I.  Ergo, put flag on a pole and leave it there.   First, let me repeat, I've now put a light on it - rules are if it's in the dark the flag is to be illuminated.  To show proper respect and lengthen life of the flag, the pole is mounted by the entrance to the front alcove.  It is also on the east side of the house, giving it some extra protection of storms and wind.

No one else is displaying permanently, but more of them have started posting their flag now too.

Cute saying made me smile today -
You can't tell me what to do. . .You're not my cat!

P

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8732 on: September 04, 2023, 11:56:48 AM »

Happy Labor Day Beakers!
May it be a restful and peaceful day!
Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Eagles, would you believe it was 58 degrees this morning, it's 72 right now and I'm wearing a sweatshirt over my sundress. LOL! I'm hopeful for a warmer day.  ;D

{{{Tig}}}

Kb, I've seen seen a Pied Mossy frog, cute little buddy... Thank you for a bit of Labor Day history.... Enjoy your day of leisure and dreams of quiet days in your neighborhood. LOL!

Tsk, we didn't know you could deduct loss of freezer food either. We've lost electricity during a couple of Kansas/Arizona late summer storms. You and Tim have a lovely day.  :)

Hi Phyl, You and Jim have a great menu for today. I think it's Mexican dinner for us  :). Enjoy your day :)

Clynn, wonderful pic of GSB babies  :-*  before chaos with owl. I pray at least 2 or 3 of them are enjoying soaring the bluffs with full crops  :-* .... JB and the Beach Boys always provided the perfect endless summer. Great memories.  :)

Bearstudy - Bear hunting season started Sept 1 thru Oct 15th
Only Good News - UPDATE September 2, 2023
https://www.bearstudy.org/updates/daily-updates/4802-only-good-news-update-september-2-2023.html

RC's single cub photo by L. Kennedy RC was born 1999 mother Shadow
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #8733 on: September 04, 2023, 12:08:08 PM »

HAPPY LABOR DAY, BEAKERS!  :)

BEWARE! Reading the full piece at the following link may cause you to wet your pants. Prepare accordingly.   8)

"COYOTE V. ACME" - regarding the right of individual predators to equal protection under the law  ;D Dated Feb. 18, 1990, by Ian Frazier:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1990/02/26/coyote-v-acme?fbclid=IwAR070L0WuRR8s9sCzogALkj058Ubt4b9kYkBIlwUbVVgYhOAV6CzfDFEHQI_aem_AXofLqaiU8T9J8BMUbJESlQSOtz_UMD932WXqlneXaYO5SkWSrG48jH_NoR4a7wJgws

I'll be back later... I have to change clothes now...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #8734 on: September 04, 2023, 01:03:26 PM »

tsk - Falcon Heights is the city the State fair of MN is held in...the largest State Fair in the US by attendance.
Falcon Heights is near the UofM Raptor Center and St. Paul...I used to drive through it on my way to the Raptor Center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_State_Fair

KB, my Lil Sis was at the Minnesota State Fair this year, a few days before Tig went. She was with a good friend of hers, a born Minneapolitan.  ;D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

kbshcb

« Reply #8735 on: September 04, 2023, 01:09:49 PM »

tsk - Falcon Heights is the city the State fair of MN is held in...the largest State Fair in the US by attendance.
Falcon Heights is near the UofM Raptor Center and St. Paul...I used to drive through it on my way to the Raptor Center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_State_Fair

KB, my Lil Sis was at the Minnesota State Fair this year, a few days before Tig went. She was with a good friend of hers, a born Minneapolitan.  ;D

any thoughts from her?...too many people?...too hot?...I can't remember the weather that many day's back, LOL.or just great?
Of course I attended as a kid/teenager etc....many moons ago...and as a parent and then a spouse.
I feel this way: Once you've attended at most decades of life...no need to go anymore...esp these days with the crowds. But always curious what others think.

kbshcb

« Reply #8736 on: September 04, 2023, 01:23:10 PM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1698682070363758823

This baby elephant rushed in to save what he thought was a drowning human. Watch till the end.

We really don't deserve them..

baziunc

« Reply #8737 on: September 04, 2023, 01:27:57 PM »

Puff, that is some tale of woe!   Poor Michael!  I cannot imagine how he rides a motorcycle , or did he go in a car to watch them?

The next time you need a flag, call your Senator and they will send you one that was flown over the  Capitol!  A nice thing, I think!  I worked with a young lady who was on the last helicopter to leave the US embassy in Saigon.  She had to decide quickly if she would go or stay!  She left her family (she was single, no children)  and every thing she had and her journey was not easy.  Anyway, when she took her citizenship exam the only question she missed was related to Ted Kennedy.  I called his office and explained that she lived in Virginia but given the circumstances of her missed question, I wondered if they would send her a flag to help celebrate her citizenship!  They were delighted and he enclosed a great personal note!   She was thrilled!
Thanks for all the funnies today snd for the nest and bird reports!  Hope all stay safe!  Seds

Karen, I love that story of your friend from Saigon!  :)  So good to see you back in The Beak! And so glad you and Piper are safe, and hope all the storm cleanup and repair will not take too long.  :)  P.S. I find dead tree frogs in my house from time to time. They mummify!  :o It's always unsettling when I find one - not often, but a handful over the 17+ years I've been in my current home. I'm always sad to find one - I just adore them, and try to be on the lookout for them when I open and close the door, especially at night. They can get past you so easily without getting noticed, and I've never had one "chirp" inside the house - they must stay silent as a defense mechanism so as not to be found. I have managed to chase down and catch a few over the years when they tried to hop in through my open door by surprise, and then I can put them back out in a safe spot. I imagine the one you found hopped in, surreptitiously. Glad Piper ignored it. Sorry for the dead Mockingbird, too. Maybe it was a natural death. Hopefully, Piper left it alone, since it could've had an illness. The wild bird websites all recommend not handling any dead bird you come across, for that reason - or to use gloves, or a shovel, or what-have-you, to wrap it in newspaper or a bag, and dispose of the carcass, and the gloves used to handle it. Sadly, there have been a couple of highly contagious illnesses spreading among songbirds the last several years, and Mockingbirds are a known species suffering from that. I think you're smart to hold off on the tree work... I hope your neighbors hired a legit company... so many stories of the opposite doing that kind of work after big storms. Fingers crossed for them.

baziunc

« Reply #8738 on: September 04, 2023, 01:33:27 PM »

KB, they had hot-as-forty-hells days while she was in Minneapolis, and then some days were just very, very hot. I don't remember which day they had the day they went to the State Fair, but I think it was just very hot.  ;)  She said they had a great time at the fair!

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #8739 on: September 04, 2023, 01:42:33 PM »

some bounce
KB... a little froggie greeted us on the sidewalk when we returned from seeing a movie last night. Cute elephant.
Baz... LOL Acme. Watching tennis?
I just finished the book. Wow. I needed a tissue on the last page.
TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

baziunc

« Reply #8740 on: September 04, 2023, 02:06:03 PM »

Puff, I'm so sorry about that awful accident your friend and neighbor, Michael, was in. I hope he finds comfort and healing.

Tig, NO! I'm NOT watching tennis!!!  >:( >:( >:( Because! Disney and Spectrum/Charter are having a contract dispute. Of course, both sides claim it's the fault of the other... waaaa, cue the violin music, and cry me a river full of their millions of dollars!! ... All I know is I pay big bucks every month for a list of channels, many of which I now can't view till whenever their dispute is settled, if ever!  Meanwhile, Disney has pulled all their 27 channels from my Spectrum Cable TV lineup - which includes, in addition to the very many Disney channels, the suite of ESPN channels, including my collegiate ACC Channel (part of the ESPN family), ABC Sports channels, FX, Freeform, all the NatGeo family of channels, and I don't know what all else off the top of my head right now. So... I only got to see the 1st round of the US Open!! And yesterday, the ABC Network televised a few hours of the Round of 16 during the day, so I got to watch that. I am PISSED! As in PISSED!!  >:( >:( >:( See the steam coming out my ears??

Here's one of the news stories about it:
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/suddenly-lose-espn-and-abc-heres-what-going-on-between-disney-and-spectrum/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 02:16:14 PM by baziunc »

baziunc

« Reply #8741 on: September 04, 2023, 02:21:30 PM »

Heading to the kitchen for late lunch... looking like it will be a sliced chicken breast sandwich. Supper will be a yummy shrimp cocktail, so to speak - nice-sized shrimp that I will put on top of a big bowl of mixed baby greens, with EVOO and Balsamic vinegar, and a big dollop of cocktail sauce in the center.

Have a Good Afternoon, All!  :)

Later, Beakers.
  ;)

LisaG1967

« Reply #8742 on: September 04, 2023, 03:48:50 PM »

tig - Hope you are rested mow. 

E4E - I did end up making some potato salad to go with the hotdogs, and grilled zucchini. 

Phyl - Thanks for the pepper chart.

Lani - Love those temps you are having, wish I were there!

baz - LOL, COYOTE V. ACME Wow, I didn't think Charter Communications was even in business anymore.  We use to have them as a cable company many years ago here.  It was changed from Charter to Atlantic Broadband, and now Breezeline.  Sorry you are missing your tennis, and other things you like to watch!  Your shrimp dinner sounds like it will be yummy!

Have a good night, everyone!

kb - Aww, the baby elephant!

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8743 on: September 04, 2023, 04:36:49 PM »

KB   I would love to touch that frog and see how it feels.  It has been so easy getting around town - or anywhere for that matter -  these last few days.   Awww  smart ellie  ;D

TIG/LISA   Our wounded in "battle"  are improving - take care another day or two

PHYL  I've seen that Scoville chart before.  You wouldn't find me too far from the sweet green  LOL

LANI  Such a sweetie sloth  ;D   Day was busy - Last minute movie with Tim - Golda.  Now trying to catch up.  This is finger crossing time at the Bear center but see their reason for being hopeful - lots of food.

BAZI   Very clever article - always 2 sides to a story  LOL   Guess it's a Southern states thing - frogs in the house  LOL  That is terrible what you are having to undergo with your cable.  I did catch Coco Guaff's play to get her in quarter finals and parts of the mens quarterfinals with USA winning.  I fell so bad for you as you are a major tennis fan - Hope you get your money back.   Every time our cable goes out we keep track and Tim calls to have them credit us! - They do.

Wedding - "God awful hot and humid"  Makes living up here a breeze.  Wedding ceremony outdoors and reception indoors - A/C of course.  Seems friends of the bride are unaware of etiquette when I comes to RSVP ing.  They ran out of food and not everyone had a place to sit  Oh well. Honeymoon - Oahu and switch to Kauai from Maui.
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #8744 on: September 04, 2023, 06:25:26 PM »

Tsk, until u have experienced the hot and humid south you do not know what hot is!  But with good ac and ceiling fans it is wonderful inside
, then when you. Are freezing cold in the winter, we can play outside!  I do not know who would plan an outdoor wedding!
During the mid 60s, Sen Kennedy was responsible for an immigration law.  Hence he was mentioned in the test!  I think it is very special that you can get a flag that flew over the capitol, albeit only a short time!  There is no charge!
Tsk, I keep track of cable outages  as well.  Have always received a credit! Not much but I think they all overcharge!
Piper did mess with the bird but doesn't seem ill!   She is a mess!  She got a battery I had on the table for my radio, in case I needed it.  This was packaged on a piece of cardboard with hard plastic over it!  She took it all apart!  No chewing involved!  I would have needed scissors.  Yesterday she moved a pair of shoes I had in front of the shower down a hallto the bedroom!  Had them set up side by side ready to wear.
I am sure there are rules for irs disaster claims.  There always are.