Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470995 times)

Puff

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #8715 on: September 03, 2023, 07:08:01 PM »

I've been following along with all the talk re The Flag.  Last week I had the neighbor's come  over and mount my new one.  Bought it back in June, but trying to hook up with a friend is also a tall friend, plus between the two times I was out of commission or hanging out at Good Sam, well it just didn't happen until last week.  Brand new to celebrate Labor Day.  Looks so pretty.  8)  Also found a solar flood light that's been gone for at least 10 years.  Ton said it was fine without - not according to the flag rules.  Well anyway, it is now lighted at night again.  And, BTW, I've had to replace my flag a few times over the years here (52).  When they stay up and out, the weather makes their life about 5 years.

But the neighbor kid replaced this one for me (he's a convenient 6 feet), folded it up gentle and thankfully for its service, and took it to the local Ace Hardware who has a nice service along with local Vet's to collect the flags in a circular container and give them a proper service and burning.  My Ace also gives a discount if you purchase a replacement from them.  I buy mine from Annin Flag Makers.

Maybe we could say kind words for my neighbor Michael.  He was Ton's best friend, helped us and now helps me a lot.  He said he'd launch the flag when he got back from a couple short trips.  Left on the last one in August, he and three other Harley bikers, for a ride down to the Smokies and up through PA and Ohio.  Trip back included an accident for him.  One of his buds drove him back - all he could do is lay out in the back seat.  Not at all a good thing for Michael.  He had to retire early from Darien police when someone who ran him down while he was doing traffic control.  I've seen the scars on his legs, both legs, groin to ankles.  We've also seen the xrays.  There has to be 60-70 % bone replacement with metal rods.  He had to retire with disabilities.  Minor damage also to back and hips.  All this from that other accident.  Now he's not even walking with the new damage.  Has told wife, Julie, he doesn't want visitors or calls.  But he did give me a wave yesterday from the ride he got as he had to go to a MD apppointment.  I'll call Julie after Labor Day.  Julie's son is the one who mounted the new flag for me.     

Since we have several of us online here with knees, backs, shoulders, whatevers, we can only image the pain/discomfort/inabilities he's now going through.  Makes me cry.  I hope God is generous with the comforts he gives Michael.

P       

karengramke

« Reply #8716 on: September 03, 2023, 08:29:27 PM »

Puff, that is some tale of woe!   Poor Michael!  I cannot imagine how he rides a motorcycle , or did he go in a car to watch them?

The next time you need a flag, call your Senator and they will send you one that was flown over the  Capitol!  A nice thing, I think!  I worked with a young lady who was on the last helicopter to leave the US embassy in Saigon.  She had to decide quickly if she would go or stay!  She left her family (she was single, no children)  and every thing she had and her journey was not easy.  Anyway, when she took her citizenship exam the only question she missed was related to Ted Kennedy.  I called his office and explained that she lived in Virginia but given the circumstances of her missed question, I wondered if they would send her a flag to help celebrate her citizenship!  They were delighted and he enclosed a great personal note!   She was thrilled!
Thanks for all the funnies today snd for the nest and bird reports!  Hope all stay safe!  Seds
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 08:37:12 PM by karengramke »

Puff

« Reply #8717 on: September 03, 2023, 09:09:54 PM »

Nice things happen because there are a lot of nice people around.  Last flag was given to me local VFW, and they mounted it.  I donated at the 4th of July parade they also operate.

No Karen, Michael also had his bike.  Operative word is had.  The fellow who brought him home rented a car for the two of them.   Michael paid for the flight back for friend to bring his own bike home and check on the condition and prognosis of Michael's bike.   Don't know the current condition of Michael's since we haven't talked.  Michael's was 2 years old.

P

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #8718 on: September 03, 2023, 09:47:26 PM »

Puff - Oh no, sorry about your friend Michael and the accident he needs to heal up.  Wishing him all the best and a full recovery.  I really do wish Michael all the best - especially since he was a best friend of Tons.

Karen - You & Piper have a nice evening.

Kb - High temps in your area - good thing you walk very early!  Awe, lovely flag - hope it gets worked out.  Wow, the MN state fair is very huge/amazing. :o ;D

LisaG - No matter the long FB friendship - I would say you guys are more than friends!! :)

Tsk - Poor Barb sounds exhausted!  Neighbors dog could be part golden retriever and border collie, but not sure.  She is a pretty dog.

Lani - I too, can't sit very long without moving - sciatica lets me know when I need to straighten out my hips & legs!  Have a wonderful Labor day tomorrow!   You had asked if we were having a family thing;  yes, my mom & sis are coming over tomorrow, and we will sit outside under the gazebo at the table and enjoy a couple of hours chatting & reminiscing and a bbq.  ;D

Phyl - You definitely have lots of memories of all the places you visited while living in CA!!

Karen - What a nice story of the lady you had worked with and the flag. That was such a special flag she got for her citizenship.  Your phone call was an important one. 

Beakers have a good evening - sleep well - SEDs.

BrokenLug

« Reply #8719 on: September 04, 2023, 12:11:22 AM »

Jimmy I've never wet my toes on the sands of the Atlantic without you being here.

We smoked a skinny joint and sipped a wicked margarita on the porch watching the sun slip into the hill.

Only fair trade winds my friend. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZeVFzUI35w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 02:50:39 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8720 on: September 04, 2023, 12:18:29 AM »

Tsk, I enjoy watching Manaaki and Quarry chick too....

Kb, I can't believe you are still having warm weather, I pray your area will cool down soon.

Puff, thank you for sharing Michael's story with us, I'm very sorry... sending prayers and wishes for healing and a full recovery.

SED Phyl, I hope Jim is feeling better.

Karen, what a nice story of the co-worker and a very special flag. Bless you .  ;D

Eagles, Neighbors dog must be a lovely mix, Collie and Lab... Enjoy your time with your mom and sister tomorrow. It's wonderful they are both feeling well.  :)

Good night!

Prayers for Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Eaglesrock, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Karen and Piper, Paulie, Phyl and Jim, Eagle's mom, Tsk's friend Lynn & Husband and her DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Baz, Tig, Puff, Jicaji, Tim and Tsk, Lori and her grandma Clute, Tsk's friend Pam and Hubby, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Tsk's friend, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Eagle's Mom,Tsk friend Lynn's & husband and her DIL Amy, Baz, Tig, Puff, Tsk, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For TRR Sloth Robin, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Maggie, Little One and all those like her, Hellgate Iris, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #8721 on: September 04, 2023, 06:22:57 AM »

Good Morning...

{{{ Lahaina and Kaanapali,  Maui, HI }}}  🙏 's
{{{Successful recovery from  Hurricanes Idalia  & Hilary}}} 🙏 's

Jim works today---off at 3pm. Planning on making a marble cake w/ chocolate frosting.  . Grilling hot dogs w/ traditional potato salad,  and all the classic toppings, a brew each.

Puff- thanks for sharing Michael’s story, 🙏 's for healing

Karen-a nice story of that special flag

E4E- tks for update on your mom and sis, so happy to know they’er doing so well

Lani sweet kitties last night

BL

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #8722 on: September 04, 2023, 06:25:32 AM »

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #8723 on: September 04, 2023, 07:08:58 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Phyl, sounds like you have a great Labor Day menu planned! I haven't decided what we are going to have yet! Hope you and Jim are feeling better every day!

Lani, I also love watching the videos of Manaaki and the Quarry chick together! Their communication is so cute! Those good night kitties with their slippers on are precious...

BL, good music again...

E4E, we have our little ways to deal with the sciatica, I do the same thing you do! Have a wonderful time with your Mom and Sis today!

Puff, what a terrible ordeal for your good friend Michael...he sounds like a good person, I hate it when good people are hurting...  My Dad put the flag out every morning and took it in every evening at sunset...up until the day he just couldn't do it anymore. Mom tried to carry on but now she just isn't able...

karen, that was so thoughtful of you to arrange for a flag for the girl from Viet Nam!

Lisa, are you still moving slowly?

tsk, when a person that loves to socialize and talk is 'tired of talking', you know they are TIRED!

Americans have long wanted the perfect endless summer. Jimmy Buffett offered them one.  https://www.kcrg.com/2023/09/03/americans-have-long-wanted-perfect-endless-summer-jimmy-buffett-offered-them-one/?fbclid=IwAR1Bp940UJjPh4Zn0njMG1GSKk822GyVSzi3m9Ooe6fLl0bQbjjrIhdIPlE

Great picture of the banding of the GSB babies this year:

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #8724 on: September 04, 2023, 07:12:22 AM »

Parrotheads, be happy for him…Jimmy is having a cheeseburger and a margarita in paradise.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8725 on: September 04, 2023, 07:28:56 AM »

HI EVERYONE

PHYL  I remember years ago before we had a generator and lost power for 5 days!  We lost everything from 2 frigs.  Insurance did not cover.  Didn't know it could be claimed as a tax deduction ..

PUFF   What an awful thing to happen to Michael who I met and spoke with at Tony's funeral.  I thought he was such a wonderful neighbor for you having been Ton's friend for so many years.  Let's hope for quick healing on what ever the diagnosis turns out to be.

KAREN  Interesting story about your co worker from Saigon.  Can't imagine a citizenship test with a Ted Kennedy question  ???( Maybe " Who was his brother?")  Super cool what you did to get her a flag..

EALGES  Have a restful family day today

LANI     ;D ;D the slippers on the kitties.

CLYNN  Love the banding of the chicks.
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #8726 on: September 04, 2023, 07:34:21 AM »

A pied mossy frog.....incredible camouflage....

Happy Monday all....for me excitedly it's back to school soon day!..some of your districts have been back awhile now...not Minnesota public schools..and, my neighbor's 5 year old starts Wednesday...I don't mind the noise of children but when one allows screaming (and inspiring his friends) for up to 6 hours at a time constantly, well, now you know why I'm celebrating today!....LOL

and historically May Day is more of a celebratory workers day than Labor Day, which was a day worker's lost, the Pullman strike, and President Cleveland just 6 days after he stopped it made this Labor day for a distraction.
So it's actually boss' day today...LOL

Anyway, it is a day off work for many and a day to visit friends/family...that's the good news.

LisaG1967

« Reply #8727 on: September 04, 2023, 07:50:56 AM »

Good Morning Beakers.....Happy Labor Day!

Morning kb, tig, karen and all 
  :)

clynn - Still moving slowly, but I can tell that the bruise on the inside is slowly going away.  I can sit down without it hurting too much.  I love the RRP pic of them banding the falcons. 

Phyl - Dinner menu sounds good.  I think I might make some tater salad, too.

Lani - Oh, how cute, the kitties in their slippers! Thanks for the Royal update. 

BL - Thanks for the tunes.   :D

E4E - Yes!  :D

Puff - ((Michael))

tsk - Wow, short trip for Barb.  LOL, just tired of talking!!!  Cute morning greeting. 

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #8728 on: September 04, 2023, 08:23:42 AM »

some bounce
KB... I agree 👍
Neck n knee were sore yesterday. Another rest day here. Will prolly mow a little shorter tomorrow... To make cleanup of puppy messes easier. Ahem.
TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #8729 on: September 04, 2023, 09:39:34 AM »

overcast/cloudy - high of 73

BL - Like your tribute  :)

Lani - Have a great day and hope your temps aren't too hot.

Puff - Have a nice day. :)

Hi Kb - All of you have a nice day and hope your temps start cooling.   Never seen a frog like that - you always post such great pics. :)

Phyl - I bet Jim looks forward to getting off work and will come home to a nice Labor Day meal, cold brew and yummy cake! 8) ;D

Clynn - Like your Labor Day graphics!    Love the pic of JB and the great article in your link.  Love the pic of JB walking on the beach.   Hubby & I loved having lunch at JB's Margaritaville in Nashville when we were in TN back at the end of April - great place!! ;D

Tsk - Love your Labor Day graphic!  Hope you can catch up with your Bro and Barb soon  :)

LisaG - Have a great day and hope you go ahead and make a tater salad - I made one yesterday!

Tig - Glad you are a lil better - please take care and you & Camper have a nice day. :) 8)

Beakers have a nice Labor Day.