Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470837 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #7965 on: August 10, 2023, 06:39:56 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

karen - Hope Piper made out ok at the vet.  I am hoping that will be the babysitting case, or I also told Bradley that I can come on some days when he is by himself watching the baby while working. 

tig - Oh my...that is not alot of rain at all...6 drops!

{{Lani}} - So very sorry to hear about the devastation in Hawaii!  Mom did have a great time at the Con, even tho her trip home was an adventure.  She is happy tho, as the Con will be in New Orleans next year and she can drive there. 

clynn - Great pics of the munchkins, looks like they had a fun day with Grandma!

tsk - Her luggage is supposed to arrive Fed Ex at the house today, so we will see.  Regarding the loss of life in Hawaii, I had seen a banner at bottom of news screen saying there is now 36 loss of life.   :'(

Phyl - Cute morning greeting, and thanks for the RRP blog post. 

kb - How is the plumbing work coming along?

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #7966 on: August 10, 2023, 06:50:51 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Phyl, beautiful lion family, sad that they are now endangered... Thanks for Amy's Blog, life goes on and on... too soon it will be winter again. The devastation in Hawaii is so sad, as it is wherever the fires rage.

Lani, my heart feels the pain in your heart, it is just incomprehensible to know that something that means so much is just gone... just like that. It may be rebuilt but it won't be the same.
I hope they can get it under control today, hopefully the hurricane winds are gone.

Puff, you have some beautiful memories of Lahaina, hopefully it can be rebuilt in some fashion.

karen, Piper is the best medicine for you! Sounds like all is going well!

tsk, the kids are excited about school, and I do watch them on other occasions, so they are not sad that the last Wednesday is next week. Seems like Erin and Sydney like to come to West Des Moines to shop, etc and they can drop the kids off and have a bit of time together! In fact, Erin and Sydney are going to the State Fair Friday and will be dropping the Munchkins off!

Lisa, a beautiful teacup, I always notice them as I have a collection of teacups from England! Hope Mom's luggage makes it today! I bet she is really looking forward to the convention next year!

Awwww:  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=687928976508887

Sydney Sea Eagle Cam - Pat Burke  · 9 August 2023 Wednesday. Was checking out their beak differences today. SE31 behind, SE32 in front. SE32 has the thicker beak. Both still have a hint of an egg tooth still on their beaks 🙂 (13 and 12 days old)

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7967 on: August 10, 2023, 07:18:02 AM »

65 heading to 85.  DP 63  Humidity 87%  Mostly sunny

PUFF   I would bet you would know Lahaina really well having been there so many times on business.  :-*

LANI   Thanks for your updates on the tragedy and that those you know are safe.  It just dawned on me that hundreds+ now have no jobs either...

PHYL  Thanks for your updates and Amy's blog.

LISA   Good suggestion for helping out Bradley while he is working.  Good location for the Con next year where Mom can drive  ;D

CLYNN    Awwww  the babies sleeping together.  They don't care who's who  ;)   Love the cardinal and eagle.  :)
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #7968 on: August 10, 2023, 07:41:18 AM »

tsk - to answer your question from yesterday whether or not they cleaned up.

Yes and no....he backfilled in the very deep hole after the elbow replaced...and returned some of my landscape rock on top....however, as there was wet soil from water seepage and therefore some soil collapse there isn't enough dirt..furthermore, my ramp to the first step beyond my gate is junk.
I have texted Andrew to help...buy? dirt and rebuild me a ramp....

For now, it appears we take a "wait and see" approach regarding the possible other problem of pipe right outside the laundry room floor drain leading to that elbow outside of Scott's shop....there is a dip/pool/J section under concrete in Scott's shop...I'm okay with that as just replacing the elbow is much less expensive than the original estimate which included repair of both areas.

If I get another sewer back up in laundry room that's significant I'll have to have them back out for a major repair because it includes destroying and repairing Scott's shop...so, we shall see. Meanwhile my gate from the back yard to front yard is unusable..the other side of my house doesn't have a gate but a fixed fence.
So, I'm screwed until repair is completed by Andrew...

Lisa - did I answer your question? We are fully operational inside the house including using tp!

Lani - sure is devastating what has happened to your beloved Maui....I'm sorry and hope you feel okay.

taking a walk soon.....Later

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #7969 on: August 10, 2023, 07:49:10 AM »

Hi Beakers!  I wanted to share this link for the Amazon Wish List for Maui Humane Society to help with the animals in need of medical care.  https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1817BTQ5MWOOG?ref_=wl_fv_le

LAHAINA, Hawaii (KHON2) — Amongst the impacts of these catastrophic fires on Maui, hundreds of animals either lost, burned or in need of critical care.
“There are thousands of humans, thousands of animals that have been displaced; and we’re just preparing for that coming through,” said Katie Shannon from the Maui Humane Society.
Amongst them is a two-year-old sharpei mix dog that was spotted running around Tuesday night, Aug. 8 on the streets of Lahaina.
The Maui Humane Society said that a firefighter scooped her up and put her in an American Medical Response ambulance.
She was wearing a purple harness but has no microchip and is now at the Maui Humane Society.

A small dog was rescued by a Maui Fire Department firefighter. She has burn injuries and was not rescued with her human on Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2023 in Lahaina, Hawaiʻi. (Photo/Maui Humane Society)

The shelter said she is the first of many they expect in the coming days.
“We know that a lot of people are going to need to surrender their animals,” added Shannon. “And we are here with open arms when that happens and address medical cases, especially for those people that have you know, lost everything.”
The shelter is asking for emergency fosters or donations of food, kennels, litter or money.
You can join the “Maui Fires Pets Help Group” on Facebook for reconnecting with lost and found pets or coordinating shared resources.
So, whether you are on island or on the mainland, here’s how you can help:
1. Become an SOS Foster – anyone with safe space can come to the shelter and foster an animal to make space for animals in refuge.
2. Donate – Pet food, pop-up kennels, and litter. Those off island can donate directly via our Amazon Wishlist and monetary donations will be crucial to cover the costs of lifesaving medical surgeries and procedures.
3. Join the Maui Fires Pets Help Group that will connect those that can help with those in need, without utilizing shelter resources.

Video with info https://www.khon2.com/hawaii-fires/the-pets-wildlife-that-are-lost-injured-in-mauis-fire/ and article at  https://www.khon2.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2023/08/IMG_0831.jpg?resize=658,877

I will be back in a few, gotta place my order for them. ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 07:56:19 AM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

jilltosa

« Reply #7970 on: August 10, 2023, 07:57:47 AM »

LANI Have been thinking of you often, with prayers, when the news of the fires is on. Last evening there was an interview with the owners of our local Ono Kine Grindz who get many of their products from Hawaii.

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7971 on: August 10, 2023, 09:02:05 AM »

some bounce
(((Lani)))
Thanx Lori

((KB))

I finally got info that the roof project is nearing completion at the Y and the pool and hot tub and sauna and locker rooms have been repaired and deep cleaned. Yay!

Here is a "Mystery Science Theater" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Science_Theater_3000    https://www.calacademy.org/events/planetarium-show/the-mads-mystery-science-theater-3000)  throwback pic from yesterday while Camper was mowing:

camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #7972 on: August 10, 2023, 09:36:34 AM »

Chance of a shower tonight - high temp today 70

Lani - I am so terribly sad for everyone & animals in Lahaina, Maui, HI  :'( :'(  I am sorry for you Lani, as I know HI is your roots.  My thoughts & prayers are with you.
The footage on the news is sickening. :'( :'(

Kb - Yaaay - glad your sewer system is up and working again!!  Your hydrangeas are so beautiful - lovely yard.

LisaG - Oh no, your poor mom at the airport - that was a scary situation, but so happy she got home safe & sound.

Ginger52 - Thank you for the Norfolk history and link - so much sadness. :'(

Clynn - Love the Munchkin pics - they always look so happy and have such fun with you & Ed! :)   Cute Sydney Sea Eagle cam pic!  Amazing pic of cardinal & BE! ;D

Puff - You said it very well - thank you for sharing some of your memories.

Tig - I saw the Banyon tree on the news this morning - as you said, it is charred, but still standing.   Pups are so cute looking out the window watching Camper! ;D

Phyl - Thank you for all links and info.

Hi Tsk  :)

Karen - Awe, Piper is good now for a while!  Maybe in time, she MIGHT get a little more used to it? :-\

Lori - Lots of good info - thank you.

Jilltosa - Good to 'see' you again! :)

Thoughts & prayers for all the people & animals affected in Lahaina, Maui, HI

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7973 on: August 10, 2023, 09:53:21 AM »

camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Puff

« Reply #7974 on: August 10, 2023, 10:14:20 AM »

One more - one last - discussion of Hawaii's horrid days, soon to be years.

First, here's a bit more thorough vid from friend, a local (tourist) helicopter operator:

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfire-maui-dora-winds-ec23c16abfbeb6ba689f1a98263720db

I'd also like you to get more input about me and my true love of the islands.  I've taken full training from the 4 major official state tourist organizations:  Maui County, Kauai, Oahu, Island of Hawaii, and The Hawaii Official State Tourism Bureau.  Some already know my credentials and love of the state.  Many trips, many hours of book earning, hours and days of finding the nooks and crannies, beautiful views, hours and days of just meditating on the smell and atmosphere, my share of mai-tais and cuisine, and I could go on and on. . .

And then there's Lahaina.  It is Hawaiian to the utmost.  The most historical, authentic area of the Islands.  It is, was  :' , the true spirit of Hawaii you always hear about.  But it was authentic which is why I know they will never be able to replicate.  The town consisted of wooden based 1 or some 2 story buildings.  Most businesses family owned for centuries in some cases.  Talking to the seniors who have stories of their seniors - can you even imagine the tales they have told me.  Spent more than most talking to locals than most visitors; caught the bug in 1971, and it only intensified.  Where now?

Vid shows the West Coast of Maui, most of the damage did happen in Lahaina, again it was lots of little wooden buildings along Front Street.  No really good pics because of layer of smoke.  Lots and lots of vegetation and trees burning.  The beach areas and mountains only sporatic damage.  Spread out beach resorts of new construction materials and regulations will help control vast ruination.  There are newer, tempting, safer mall and hotel offerings along the west coast by the major beaches and golf courses.    Again, the real spirit is the question.  I feel it will never be replicated.  The island people will be the rebuilders of the "Spirit of Aloha?" 

You should know by now that I have a great appreciation of our USA.  I'll travel anytime, anywhere, and have; but I'll repeat until I'm gone that we have the best thing in the world.  If you've never been at all to Hawaii  --  WHY.  Put it on your agenda, get off your butt, find a planner, and you can do it, you can afford it.  With present political happenings, you never know what the future will give you.  Don't wait for the gift - give the gift to yourself, you've earned it and deserve it.

Practicing what I preach, and some have heard my preaching, when I'm done and only my ashes are left I will be spread over 5 of my favorite US places:  the Walt Disney/Mickey Mouse statue in front of the Disney World FL castle, the Las Vegas strip, a pass in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, in Alaska off the back of the Yukon and White Pass Railway out of Sitka, and on the Anaeho'omalu Beach in Wailkaloa on Hawaii Island.  It's in the will.

Thanks for your comments tsk & Clynn   thanks for asking, and thanks for listening.

I will be making a Mai-Tai for myself tonight and toasting the people of Maui.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 10:21:32 AM by Puff »

karengramke

« Reply #7975 on: August 10, 2023, 10:25:05 AM »

Aw Tig, the puppies are supervising Camper as he mows
Jil, was thinking about you yesterday and here you are today,  hope all is well!

No weather comments today!  Regardless of what it  is there is no raging fire and no Hurricane.  Any yard, garden, plumbing, appliance problems and etc can be easily fixed when compared to major issues like the erasure of multiple lifetimes of history and living!  ((Lani)))
Lori, hate to think of the horror the animals experienced!  Thanks for sharing!

No breakfast so will get some lunch!  Oh Tsk, have been eating bing cherries!   They are from Canada and our delicious!   Off for my pedi later!

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #7976 on: August 10, 2023, 10:32:46 AM »

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7977 on: August 10, 2023, 11:08:30 AM »

One more - one last - discussion of Hawaii's horrid days, soon to be years.

First, here's a bit more thorough vid from friend, a local (tourist) helicopter operator:

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfire-maui-dora-winds-ec23c16abfbeb6ba689f1a98263720db

I'd also like you to get more input about me and my true love of the islands.  I've taken full training from the 4 major official state tourist organizations:  Maui County, Kauai, Oahu, Island of Hawaii, and The Hawaii Official State Tourism Bureau.  Some already know my credentials and love of the state.  Many trips, many hours of book earning, hours and days of finding the nooks and crannies, beautiful views, hours and days of just meditating on the smell and atmosphere, my share of mai-tais and cuisine, and I could go on and on. . .

And then there's Lahaina.  It is Hawaiian to the utmost.  The most historical, authentic area of the Islands.  It is, was  :' , the true spirit of Hawaii you always hear about.  But it was authentic which is why I know they will never be able to replicate.  The town consisted of wooden based 1 or some 2 story buildings.  Most businesses family owned for centuries in some cases.  Talking to the seniors who have stories of their seniors - can you even imagine the tales they have told me.  Spent more than most talking to locals than most visitors; caught the bug in 1971, and it only intensified.  Where now?

Vid shows the West Coast of Maui, most of the damage did happen in Lahaina, again it was lots of little wooden buildings along Front Street.  No really good pics because of layer of smoke.  Lots and lots of vegetation and trees burning.  The beach areas and mountains only sporatic damage.  Spread out beach resorts of new construction materials and regulations will help control vast ruination.  There are newer, tempting, safer mall and hotel offerings along the west coast by the major beaches and golf courses.    Again, the real spirit is the question.  I feel it will never be replicated.  The island people will be the rebuilders of the "Spirit of Aloha?" 

You should know by now that I have a great appreciation of our USA.  I'll travel anytime, anywhere, and have; but I'll repeat until I'm gone that we have the best thing in the world.  If you've never been at all to Hawaii  --  WHY.  Put it on your agenda, get off your butt, find a planner, and you can do it, you can afford it.  With present political happenings, you never know what the future will give you.  Don't wait for the gift - give the gift to yourself, you've earned it and deserve it.

Practicing what I preach, and some have heard my preaching, when I'm done and only my ashes are left I will be spread over 5 of my favorite US places:  the Walt Disney/Mickey Mouse statue in front of the Disney World FL castle, the Las Vegas strip, a pass in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, in Alaska off the back of the Yukon and White Pass Railway out of Sitka, and on the Anaeho'omalu Beach in Wailkaloa on Hawaii Island.  It's in the will.

Thanks for your comments tsk & Clynn   thanks for asking, and thanks for listening.

I will be making a Mai-Tai for myself tonight and toasting the people of Maui.

P

{{{Hugs dearest Puff}}} Thank you, you have captured all that we are feeling at this time. Whether you've been there once or a thousand times, you cannot never forget the beauty, feel it's history, walk where kings and queens have walked and feel its heartbeat through the breeze of the ancient banyon tree, over the rocky shores, and its surroundings. And know in your heart that this is a part of you and you are part of it. The buildings may be gone and never rebuilt, you can't rebuild that kind of history, but Lahaina's heart will be remain forever. And its people will rebuild the city again, because that's what we do, that's our Aloha spirit. We go on no matter what.... I cannot even look at my photo albums of our trips there. I don't want to. I think for me it's a closed chapter now. The memories of sharing Maui with Mike on our honeymoon almost 53 years ago will remain in my heart always.  :-*. ... I think you and I once shared our special place off the shores of the Big Isle where our ashes will be spread. I'll be just north from you at Makaiwa Bay. ;) Half of my ashes there and the other half in Salina Ks., the girls have orders to place the cats/dogs ashes with mine in Kansas. I have all but 6 pets from the 70's. No one needs to know about the pets but us.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:10:04 AM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #7978 on: August 10, 2023, 11:25:46 AM »

Jewel born 2009, mother is June born 2001, grandmother is Shadow 1987

Andrea born 2020, mother is Jewel born 2009, grandmother is June born 2001, great grandmother is Shadow 1987

Snowball 2023  :-*  mother is Andrea born 2020, grandmother is Jewel born 2009, great grandmother is June born 2001, and great great grandmother is Shadow 1987,

Bearstudy - Great Group, Great Bears, Great Times - UPDATE August 9, 2023  :-*

https://www.bearstudy.org/updates/daily-updates/4794-great-group-great-bears-great-times-update-august-9-2023.html

Good morning Beakers!
Hi Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Forum is a little sticky today. I had a hard time posting, so I had to do it in separate parts.

Karen, I love bing cherries too, they haven't been good tasting here.... Enjoy your pedi!  ;D

Hi Eagles, How is your sister and mom? Any visits planned with grandson before school starts? School started here last week, so maybe it's the same for CA.
Oh, Mike got his car repaired and they delivered it yesterday! The new car license/tag arrived in the mail too.... The dealership found the key fob.   He plans to have a new battery put in this week and checking on prices for new tires.

Tig, love the pic of the pups/Camper! so cute  ;D.... Great news about the Y!  ;D ... thanks for sharing the Dark Sky cam

Oh Lori, {{{sweet pup}}}  thanks for more news. I've been very worried about the pets/feral cats/animals. Lahaina citizens had little time to leave, I'm sure lots of animals, dogs/cats/live stock was left behind. You know everyone had chickens/goats/pigs, you couldn't walk a block in the morning and not hear a rooster or two.  :'(:'( :'( :'(

Phyl, thank you for Amy's blog and more news on Maui. Beautiful lions thank you for history.

Lisa, That great news that Miss Fisher con will be in New Orleans next year! I hope your mom's luggage arrive today.   Looking forward to babysitting pics.  :-*

Clynn, When was the last time you've been to your state fair? I think we went to maybe 5 in Kansas. It just got too crowded for us, and anyway we went for the kids. And when the girls could drive they went with friends.... sweet Sea Eaglets... love the cardinal and eagle pic ... omg! What adorable sleeping buddines... the baby monkey holding on to the kitten and little otter snuggling in.  :-*.

I just checked how my cubs Jewel has had since her first season Fern and Herbie, she has had a total of 18 cubs.  ;D:-*
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:59:16 AM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #7979 on: August 10, 2023, 11:43:48 AM »

LANI Have been thinking of you often, with prayers, when the news of the fires is on. Last evening there was an interview with the owners of our local Ono Kine Grindz who get many of their products from Hawaii.

{{{Hugs Jilltosa}}} it's wonderful to see you!!  ;D
I hope you're well and taking care  :-*