Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470448 times)

kbshcb

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #7500 on: July 28, 2023, 10:46:45 AM »

Keith Christensen posted this pic of Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis....don't know if he is the photographer or not.

I also don't know how the water keeps flowing given our drought. Must be they are releasing water from the Lake Minnetonka Lakes still which they do...

the VA Hospital is off to the top and left of the picture and the airport is to the left ...the falls flow into the Might Mississippi.

weasel65

« Reply #7501 on: July 28, 2023, 11:08:57 AM »

I am so sorry to just learn about Boomers passing.  I had the privilege of meeting her a couple of times at the Ojai Raptor Center open house.  The attached picture is of her handling an owl.  Unfortunately I missed getting her in the photo.  I too enjoyed reading about her time volunteering with the ORC.

Lisa and Puff, thank you for sharing of your time at ATF.

Prayers and good thought for all (including family members) who are ailing.  Stay cool everyone.  This heat is not for sissys.

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7502 on: July 28, 2023, 11:20:25 AM »

Keith Christensen posted this pic of Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis....don't know if he is the photographer or not.

I also don't know how the water keeps flowing given our drought. Must be they are releasing water from the Lake Minnetonka Lakes still which they do...

the VA Hospital is off to the top and left of the picture and the airport is to the left ...the falls flow into the Might Mississippi.

Kb, stunning photo
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7503 on: July 28, 2023, 11:23:45 AM »

TGIF Beakers!
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Phyl, thanks for Anthony's pics and RRP updates/blog.

Clynn, great pic of DHM and DH2... Our GE washer is the third new washer since 2013. We bought it 5/22, just barely over a year old and transmission goes bonkers a month ago. I take large loads to laundry mat, but that's been too busy since summer. We have a lot of transits now in our town, they come in large vans to get their laundry done. So, I've been using our washer and shut the utility room door so we don't have to hear the terrible grinding when it's washing. Of course, you can still hear it, so I go outside and work in the yard. It doesn't make that sound when it's spinning. We found out that this GE washer has had trouble with it's transmission. It's taken GE 4 weeks to follow through on the warranty... Aly is doing well and loves her co-workers... Shannon is bearing up with the heat... I haven't a clue what that items are with the bells.

Kb... awww love the man and geese, very special.  :-* ... Sadie is like Ollie, because she has black fur she gets warm quickly and lately hasn't wanted to walk the 2 miles. So I walk till she wants to turn around and come home. And it's been that way for 2 weeks. Whenever we decide to move, we're getting a fenced yard with grass, lots of grass for Sadie to roll on! And we can let the cats out too. ;D ... take care.

Tsk, Lisa I posted in late May. Mike gave Aly his 2008 SUV which was able to tote the U-Haul with her things. He kept her 2003 small suv and repaired it to sell. And he bought 2010 Explorer a week ago that has a story all of its own. Since our life has had its up and downs these past few weeks, I've kept it to myself in keeping with Clynn's happiness posts.  ;D

Lisa, too bad you have to wait till Tuesday for AC  :P ... Aly's car would not have been able to tote a U-Haul.... Mike's insulin's name on box Lantus Solostar... Fed Ex called transmission won't arrive till late Monday. My appliance guy is on alert, he'll see us immediately, whenever part arrives.... Moms are funny, and I'm one too! LOL!

{{{Tig}}}

Karen, it must be a wonderful feeling to get your home/yard in order and under your control again.  :-*

Hi Weasel, I remember Boomer's stories and pics too, like that sweet owl. Thank you for posting.

Royal Albatross - 7/28
Today was a big day at Pukekura with all 33 chicks banded with a Stainless-Steel band & a unique permanent alphanumeric darvic band.

Manaaki is D36 darvic band, and black for males.
NTF chick is D17 darvic band, and yellow for females.

The bands are large with the internal diameter of 19 mm The Stainless-Steel bands are a height of 12 mm & take careful adjusting to get them on the leg.
In 2/3 weeks the S-S bands will be checked during weigh day to make any adjustments prior to fledging
Thank you Sharyn & Colin

https://twitter.com/i/status/1684850090580873216

What an armful! ;D :-*

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #7504 on: July 28, 2023, 11:59:46 AM »

Just got home from the dentist and the milk run to Costco!

kb, beautiful Minnehaha Falls!

karen, see what happens when you let your bushes go for a year!

tig, hi! Your garden is lovely! (I have been going over some pages I missed last week...)

Lisa, you got it! I had those on Erin & Kelsey's shoes too!

tsk, you must be too old...LOLOL!

Lani, that's terrible for a brand new washer to quit like that. Too many things made in China these days. When Ed and I got married we got my Grandma's old GE dryer. It was old and used when we got it in 1984 and we finally replaced it in 2006. Wow, 33 Albatross chicks banded in one day! That is a busy day! One just can't imagine how big they are until you see a picture like the ones you posted! They are HUGE babies!  Gotta love those dogs! Erin called me a little while ago, he was bawling, they were getting ready to take Gunner to the vet and say goodbye to him. Then I started crying too. It's hard to hear your child cry like that...

Do any of you remember wrapping your boyfriend's class ring with angora wool so it would fit? There was a place where you could send off for a yard of angora, we would get colors to match our outfits. I think it was 10 cents for a yard!

Dunrovin Osprey Nest

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

kbshcb

« Reply #7505 on: July 28, 2023, 12:18:25 PM »

Lani -- no kidding on getting a fenced in yard with grass!....as you know I have one of those homes...keeping my grass green and soft if not only for myself.....LOL..

Clynn - I remember vaguely Gunner was ill....can't remember with what or why though...so sorry.

Since I had my Walter boy put down in my house, that's the only way I'll do it again....that may not be available everywhere, but it is not a problem here as many organizations and vets now do it at home for you.
It was not more expensive either...I also asked my then vet to make sure he was cremated alone. If you don't say that, it's a group thing...awful I thought...I have Walter's ashes in a nice oak box with his picture above it in our living room...Funny too, I've been thinking a lot about Walter lately for some reason....it's been 9 years.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7506 on: July 28, 2023, 01:12:20 PM »

Just an FYI   My friend in Vancouver Wa is aware of the Iowa bike ride but never cared to participate due to the hot humid weather and the fact that everyone is on their own for food and sleep.  Her bike club only does sponsored rides.

LISA  Well that is settled and Tues will be the day.   LOL  Mom too busy to call from her event  LOLOL

KAREN   Hope the new yard crew will ace the job!!!

KB  Beautiful setting where the Minnehaha falls is located.

WEASEL  Sorry you had to hear about Linda ( Boomer) this way.  So happy that you got to know her a little bit.

LANI  I apologize for likely forgetting about the transfer of cars back in May and Aly getting the 2008 SUV .  Hope Mike has good luck selling her old car and that nothing goes wrong with his recent Explorer purchase.   Seems like appliance companies and many others have not caught up after Covid!   So we have washer repair for you on Monday and car A/C repair for LISA on Tues  LOL  August will begin!   Gosh those birds are huge!!

CLYNN   I've never even seen those shoe things  LOLOL   Oh no - How sad for them to take Gunner in - We all know what that is like - My heart is heavy.  Do the kids understand??  Remember the angora rings my friends wore - Never had a boyfriend  ::) :-\
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #7507 on: July 28, 2023, 01:32:07 PM »

They make and sell ring size adjusters....Scott bought them for his wedding ring as he lost weight...they work great.

Like silicone small pieces that stick inside a ring.

No fabric needed!....

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #7508 on: July 28, 2023, 02:23:20 PM »

((Clynn)), what a difficult and sad day for Erin and you and Sydney and the kids. Hugs all around. Such a sweet picture of Gunner, may he rest in peace.  :-*

((Weasel)), thanks for sharing the picture of Boomer holding the owl. I know it must be shocking to learn of her death this way. You have good memories of getting to know her a bit from her work at the Ojai Rehab.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7509 on: July 28, 2023, 02:51:26 PM »

no bounce
((( Clynn ))) so sorry. Hugz
I decided I'd better go to the doctor to be safe. Not my usual doctor... he agreed with my concern (the area was more reddish and still warm). He thought it might be infected so prescribed an antibiotic. And he said to apply heat as that would allow the medicine into the bruise.
Good news is my RHR was 60 and BP 120/68.
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #7510 on: July 28, 2023, 02:56:27 PM »

It seems to be "Repair Time!" lately for so many of us!  Cars, washers, refrigerators, bathroom leaks, fence gates, sewer lines, and more!   ::)  I got the diagnosis for my car today - glad to finally know - it turned out to be the starter, as had been suspected, and now confirmed.  They're closed on the weekend, so my car will be locked up in their shop till Monday, when they will have the part and do the repair. Yep, $$$, but it's a  highly reliable shop, and I have done business with its owner for over 23 years now. He's never done me wrong. It could've been worse. Not too bad, all in all, as the only other repair on my 2011 Toyota Corolla was a tire pressure sensor that had gone bad, and I had that replaced last week during my oil change and tire rotation. Otherwise, it's all been normal maintenance work. So Zippo and I will be home all weekend, till they call me to come get my repaired car on Monday. Gives me more online time price-shopping my chosen refrigerator to see if any sales have popped up for it.

Meanwhile...

TGIF, BEAKERS!!  8)

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

LisaG1967

« Reply #7511 on: July 28, 2023, 03:10:13 PM »

kb - This is what cracks me up about Mama....she called me at ATF when I was sitting out at the hatchery talking to everyone.  When I don't pay attention to what she is saying, or if I was talking to everyone else, she gets all mad and says real snippy....just call me later...I see you are too busy to talk.  But, lordy be...don't let me do that to her!  ;D  Pretty pic of Minnehaha Falls.

karen - Hope you yard work comes out nice.  I just went outside to roll down the windows in my car.  It was 100° in the car. 

weasel - You're welcome, good to see you.   :)

Lani - I am sorry, I must have missed you saying that about Aly getting Mike's SUV. I hope your life is having more ups then downs now.  ((hugs)) 

clynn - Big ((hugs)) for Erin & family. 

tsk - Yes, Tuesday can't come fast enough.  Just went outside to let some hot air out of the car.  Mom  ::) ;D 

T40cfr403

« Reply #7512 on: July 28, 2023, 03:10:34 PM »

As cyclists ride across Iowa, they are seeing craft breweries driving small-town tourism

https://www.cochraneeagle.ca/lifestyle/as-cyclists-ride-across-iowa-they-are-seeing-craft-breweries-driving-small-town-tourism-7335566

Riders participating in RAGBRAI - the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa- line the round towards Carroll, Iowa, Monday, July 24, 2023. (Zach Boyden-Holmes/The Des Moines Register via AP)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

oldguy

« Reply #7513 on: July 28, 2023, 04:15:46 PM »

Here are some great photos of today's part of the Ragbrai.  Reports are that there were a lot of riders that departed the ride yesterday because of the forecast for today.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/picture-gallery/life/living-well/ragbrai/2023/07/28/photos-see-cyclists-riding-from-tama-toledo-to-coralville-on-ragbrai-50/12265727002/
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #7514 on: July 28, 2023, 04:21:51 PM »

Dear {{{CLynn, Erin and family}}}

Rest In Peace, Gunner. 
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan