Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 470429 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #7395 on: July 25, 2023, 05:52:33 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Lani - Thanks, and yes...back to reality, and litter box duties!  :)  Thanks for the Royal updates, Puffin and bear study.

karen - Very nice of vet to come and put collar on Piper, and good luck to her at vet today.

kb - Hope your shoulder is feeling better today.

Phyl - Thank you  :)

tig - Thank you  :)

tsk - Thank you, and thanks again for letting me stay the night with you and Tim.  Much appreciated.   :-*

baz - Yep, Bandit has accepted Misty to the "Club".   ;D  Wow, Baby bro is getting big. 

E4E - Thank you  :)  Aww, how nice of you to take your Mom for spa day. 

clynn - Welcome home, too!  Sounds like you and Kelsey had a wonderful time at your Mom's.  Very cool that Erin and family went to NY for soccer game while you were away.  Looks like they had a great time, too!

Off to get my blood work done for next week's diabetic appointment.  I don't think it will be a good one.  Had too many sweets here lately. 

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #7396 on: July 25, 2023, 06:18:39 AM »

Good Morning ...

Currently 71F  feels like 72F.   H 93F  sunny, L 72F  clear.     High pollen today.       

Jim finished mowiig yesterday after work. And, not two minuteds afterwards did we have another downpour!!

Hi Karen- you were so quiet yesterday. Glad you 're still here with us.

Lisa- all the best with Docs today

Lani- I need to post more cats. LOL  Luv the silouette last night
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #7397 on: July 25, 2023, 06:30:27 AM »

Late yesterday...peeked in on the Two Harbors nest

and found Mr. Handsome in the scub brush.
7-24-23     10:30 pm cst

Evidently, Anthony didn’t like his ‘Doort:Dash’’ last Sunday
7-23-23      8:32 pm CST

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 06:35:10 AM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

« Reply #7398 on: July 25, 2023, 06:47:44 AM »

I get these  three (3) questions quizes evey morning in my email as I use 'Bing' search engine. They're loads of fun.
And, thought maybe y'all might like to try a question instead of all three.

Bing Daily Home Page Quiz   Tuesday, July 25, 2023    

The Pink Lake of Spain

What causes this lake, near the Spanish city of Torrevieja, to turn pink?

A   Pollution
B   Algae
C   Shrimp

Choose one  and reply with it. Then  I'll post the correct anwser this afternoon.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 06:51:42 AM by Phyl »

#IstandwithEvan

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7399 on: July 25, 2023, 07:13:35 AM »

HI BEAKERS

60 heading to 93  Dew point 64  AQI  113   sunny and hazy   :(

PHYL   LOL  " dress in the mail"  cute.  We have Driscolls here too but refuse to pay when they get to $7.99.  The next week they are usually down to $3.99  ::) ::)

KAREN   Super vet visit.  What makes it hard for you or the HHA to get a collar on Piper - She won't allow it?  wiggly?

LANI   So much heat in all the western states .  That is an amazing difference in temps.

LISA   Got my A1C results this AM  5.7 and they flagged it  LOLOLOL  Don't think the doc will call me about that.  Good luck!
Chicagoland

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #7400 on: July 25, 2023, 07:26:17 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Phyl, nice pic of Mr. Handsome! Love the Good Morning birds! Thank you for the advice on Honey...she is so thin, but again, she came upstairs this morning to let me know she was hungry... Glad Jim finished the mowing just before rain, perfect! The chick with the cupcake skirt! Cute!

Lisa, good luck at your appointment today, hope it's not as bad as you fear! Even so, you can fix it. Sometimes you just have to spurge! So happy to hear that Bandit and Misty are good!

Lani, love the good night pic! We are heading for 101 on Thursday, this is a hot week for us too. I will be glad when this hot spell is over! Awww, Duryea has fledged! And thanks for the update on Manaaki!

tsk, you asked about the Harriet Bench, I found pictures! Two of the benches are for Ozzie... I didn't know about them!

baz, the new Birdhouse at the DC zoo sounds wonderful, I would love to take the Merlin app in there, it would go wild! I had it on several mornings at Mom's, we sat on the front deck with our coffee and listened to the birds. Merlin identified over 10 birds most mornings. (Merlin Bird ID, free app for your phone or iPad/tablet). Lil Bro is growing like a weed, love the color of his hair!

karen, glad to hear you had your favorite helper for the weekend! Have you got that closet the way you want it yet? So glad you have Piper now!

kb, I agree, Driscoll strawberries are the best! When we were down in southern Illinois we got a cantalope from a guy with a pickup truck on the side of the road...it was delicious! And my peaches from down there are the best!

tsk, good report from the Doc! He should call and congratulate you!  ;D

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

kbshcb

« Reply #7401 on: July 25, 2023, 07:39:12 AM »

The graylag goose family in Roger Williams Park. Two parents, 3 grown siblings from a couple years ago- can’t tell them apart- and 6 new members of the family. They are exotic escapees. This park is in Providence, Rhode Island.

Happy Hot morning all...

72 here but with a dew point already of 67!...going up to the mid 90's with air quality alerts to boot!
Andrew is fine with our changing the arbor tie up project to next week!

I'm heading out however to quickly mow my front yard...just near the house as I dropped milorganite fertilizer on it and it's grown way too much too fast!...moving some brick boundary of garden out further into grass to make room for plants that have spread and it actually will make it easier to mow that area.

Other than that hanging out inside today.

Prediction of isolated/ scattered thunderstorms tonight will probably mean storms heading in from the north or west will go poof over my house but then increase in intensity on the other side wreaking havoc to our east and south...so typical anyway for this year.

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7402 on: July 25, 2023, 08:45:44 AM »

bounce
I just got in from filling the bird bath and sweeping some mulch, at 76 degrees and 74 % humidity. Yipes. Apparently we got a quick downpour yesterday.
KB... Take care... Hydrate!
Hugz all
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 09:09:01 AM by camperstig »
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

kbshcb

« Reply #7403 on: July 25, 2023, 09:39:15 AM »

bounce
I just got in from filling the bird bath and sweeping some mulch, at 76 degrees and 74 % humidity. Yipes. Apparently we got a quick downpour yesterday.
KB... Take care... Hydrate!
Hugz all

Yup I'm in already and done and it's only about 9:30am....
Got the front yard mowed and a row of bricks moved and I'm a sweaty pig....all the rest on my to do list is moved to this weekend!..Shoulder feels better and I'm inside hydrating now...yipes is right!

Forgot to mention: Almost the whole time I was outside I heard what sounded like a juvie eagle only to look up and see a red tail circling overhead....then more screeching....those juvenile red tails were screaming at their parents on the tower for over an hour!..it's that time of year.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 10:03:50 AM by kbshcb »

karengramke

« Reply #7404 on: July 25, 2023, 09:40:49 AM »

:good Morning Beakers!  Weather is same, same here as is usual for this time of year!  Hot and humid!  Air quality is good today! 
Clynn, I too am glad to have Piper.  She is very sweet and a good girl!  Her two big issues are pedicures and seasonal allergies!  Lol. After 3 days here she appears to be house trained and likes and respond to her new name!
When i refer to my vet, it is not the one who currently treats her but the one I used for 20 years with my tzus!
I was her first patient when she got out of school! She had my medical poa as she knows as much about it as anyone!  She found Piper at the shelter, had placed taffy with me and gave her to the foster parents when she and Mickey were convinced I would not ever leave the home!  I talked to her abouit Piper slipping her harness and she advised a martingale collar!   I had one on her a few weeks ago and cut it off!  Bought two more, one small and one medium!  Since there are no clips or buckles on these I was unsure of the proper size and of how to get it off!  Aha!  You pull it off over the head!   Head is smaller than the  At any rate, it was nice of her to come over!  She also looked at my labs from a few weeks ago and thought they were good.  My a1c was 5.4 and Tsk, no one is excited about it!  Lol.
I buy dricolls when available.  Their raspberries are the best!
Have to run now, bbl and stay cool!  Clynn, nice pictures!

kbshcb

« Reply #7405 on: July 25, 2023, 10:18:31 AM »

Kind of proud how my grass looks considering our severe drought....the back yard looks as good.

Can't say the same for my perennials buried under feet of snow this past winter......maybe 50 percent bloomed this season...

Most yards in my city are dead or dying...only a few are bothering to keep it growing....that will cost much more down the road to replace/fix than watering it.

My boulevard grass is another story..from the big digs/tree removal...I will have to figure out something else next year...maybe mulch/plant sun and drought tolerant perennials instead....can't grow grass from seed in this heat.

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7406 on: July 25, 2023, 11:11:12 AM »

some bounce
KB... When we moved in here I had a contractor convert the lawn on our south side to a block walking path and mulch. My Dad was constantly watering that side and it caused water damage on the basement wall at one time. Much less time and money this way. I have heather and a few other perennials planted along the south edge away from the house.
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

kbshcb

« Reply #7407 on: July 25, 2023, 11:56:43 AM »

some bounce
KB... When we moved in here I had a contractor convert the lawn on our south side to a block walking path and mulch. My Dad was constantly watering that side and it caused water damage on the basement wall at one time. Much less time and money this way. I have heather and a few other perennials planted along the south edge away from the house.

My concern either way for my boulevard is it sloped so much from the roots of my now gone city locust tree..
So, I'll have to trench?...brick?..the edge by the curb or the mulch will just roll down into the street...can be done but?...the other is it's on the street with Western Hot sun..so need extremely tolerant perennials especially as I can't reach a sprinkler out there and can barely reach with my hose with hand watering!
Any suggestions for those kind of drought tolerant sun worshiping perennials?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 11:58:37 AM by kbshcb »

kbshcb

« Reply #7408 on: July 25, 2023, 12:09:57 PM »

Tig - don't worry your head...I just googled for our area drought tolerant perennials which love hot sun...this is a beginning list, none of which I've grown before:

Yarrow

blanket flower

Pineleaf penstemone

sedum autumn joy

lambs ears

globe thistle

amsonia

any other recommendations however appreciated..

Ollie man has chosen to now bark at bumble bees...and I have tons in front with the hosta flowers, joe pye weed etc.  He watches me garden all the time and thinks he is protecting me...No matter how many times I told him these are our friends, he didn't give up so I brought him inside.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 12:15:35 PM by kbshcb »

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7409 on: July 25, 2023, 12:31:22 PM »

KB... how about a fast spreading ground cover? Aubrieta? I have bear berry (not barberry) on our blvd. but it does well in shade.