Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Birds in the News  (Read 488766 times)

T40cfr403

Re: Birds in the News
« Reply #9480 on: October 03, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #9481 on: October 03, 2019, 05:13:33 PM »

BIRDWISE: Use behavioral cues to help identify birds

https://www.parkrapidsenterprise.com/sports/outdoors/4682704-BIRDWISE-Use-behavioral-cues-to-help-identify-birds

The male ruby-crowned kinglet's red crown patch is concealed, except when the bird is agitated. Adobe Stock
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9482 on: October 03, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #9483 on: October 03, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »

Bald eagles have found themselves a new home: suburbia

https://www.gazettenet.com/Eagles-28718970

Forest visitors crowd a fence near the nest of bald eagles with chicks on top of a Southern California native Bigcone Douglas-fir pine tree at the edge of the San Gabriel Reservoir, in the Angeles National Forest north of Azusa, on March 16, 2019. There was a Closure Order in effect until June 30th that prohibited people from coming within 700 ft. of the nest but many did not follow the rules. (Raul Roa/Los Angeles Times/TNS) Raul Roa

T40cfr403

« Reply #9484 on: October 03, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »

NWargo01

« Reply #9485 on: October 03, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »

T40, thanks so much for all the research you do to enable us to read these fascinating articles. I've been out of commission for a while, and am just now getting back into the swing of things.  I especially liked your post concerning the birds in central Indiana, where I live.  I've been to Eagle Creek Park many times over the years and have enjoyed the variety of birds there. I have a GBH living close to me that I see in the creek that runs behind my subdivision.  I've even been able to take a short video of it, but not too close as it spooks easily.  As I walk the trail behind my subdivision, I've almost 'run' into it! 

Some of your posts made me laugh, others made me cry.  The climate change ones really affect me, as I'm sure it does many others.  Hope you keep up the good work of informing us about birds around the world - it's much appreciated!

My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9486 on: October 04, 2019, 01:22:37 PM »

Developer vows to take steps to protect eagles

https://www.dailyinterlake.com/local_news/20191003/developer_vows_to_take_steps_to_protect_eagles

The bald eagle nest along the Flathead River in Hungry Horse. Neighbors say they've watched the eagles in the area for decades.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9487 on: October 04, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »

Pennsylvania Game Commission frees bald eagles in distress in York Co.

https://local21news.com/news/local/pennsylvania-game-commission-frees-bald-eagles-in-distress-in-york-co

T40cfr403

T40cfr403

« Reply #9489 on: October 04, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »

Wildlife Moment: Steller's jay likely to visit this winter

https://www.yakimaherald.com/steller-s-jay-likely-to-visit-this-winter/article_e6b36ae2-7b01-55f9-93f6-e41eb802acc6.html

A Steller's jay at the Yakima Area Arboretum. To see more of Denny Granstrand's bird photos, visit www.granstrand.net/gallery/
Photo courtesy Denny Granstrand

T40cfr403

« Reply #9490 on: October 04, 2019, 01:30:23 PM »

T40, thanks so much for all the research you do to enable us to read these fascinating articles. I've been out of commission for a while, and am just now getting back into the swing of things.  I especially liked your post concerning the birds in central Indiana, where I live.  I've been to Eagle Creek Park many times over the years and have enjoyed the variety of birds there. I have a GBH living close to me that I see in the creek that runs behind my subdivision.  I've even been able to take a short video of it, but not too close as it spooks easily.  As I walk the trail behind my subdivision, I've almost 'run' into it! 

Some of your posts made me laugh, others made me cry.  The climate change ones really affect me, as I'm sure it does many others.  Hope you keep up the good work of informing us about birds around the world - it's much appreciated!

NW - Good to have you back. You were missed! Thank you so much for your very kind words. For all I know, you and I are the only ones who read this thread. ;D But I won't stop posting any time soon; I've learned so much and am still surprised and inspired every day.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9491 on: October 04, 2019, 01:40:59 PM »

BirdNote Stories for the week of October 6, 2019

https://mailchi.mp/birdnote/weeklypreview-867137?e=e2aca28750

Featuring: The Crows' Night Roost

https://www.birdnote.org/show/crows-night-roost

T40cfr403

T40cfr403

« Reply #9493 on: October 04, 2019, 05:48:18 PM »

Barn Owl Nests Promoted As Safe Pest Control In Santa Cruz County

https://patch.com/california/santacruz/barn-owl-nests-promoted-safe-pest-control-santa-cruz-county

T40cfr403

« Reply #9494 on: October 05, 2019, 05:00:26 PM »

Where are all the mutton birds? Birdwatchers concerned by delayed arrival of migratory short-tailed shearwaters in Victoria

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-05/mutton-birds-delayed-migratory-vic-arrival-alarms-birdwatchers/11572220?pfmredir=sm

Photo: Short-tailed shearwaters (above), an auklet and a murre found on a beach near Nome, Alaska. (Supplied: Sara Germain)