Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Birds in the News  (Read 489153 times)

T40cfr403

Re: Birds in the News
« Reply #9420 on: September 15, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »

As days grow shorter, hummingbirds hit the road

https://www.ironmountaindailynews.com/news/local-news/2019/09/as-days-grow-shorter-hummingbirds-hit-the-road/

A young red-eyed vireo peeks out from the foliage. Red-eyed vireos don't get the distinctive red eyes until after their first winter. Though small songbirds such as the vireos and warblers are migrating through the region, this one's clumsy flying raised the possibility it was hatched in the area -- red-eyed vireos are a common nesting species in the Upper Peninsula and Wisconsin. (Betsy Bloom/Daily News photo)
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #9421 on: September 15, 2019, 07:20:15 PM »

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9422 on: September 15, 2019, 07:24:49 PM »

Turns Out Relocating a Massive Bald Eagle Nest Isn't Easy

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2019/09/turns-out-relocating-a-massive-bald-eagle-nest-isnt-easy/

The Risky Mission to Move a Giant Bald Eagle Nest Out of an Oncor Tower

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2019/september/the-risky-mission-to-move-a-giant-bald-eagle-nest-out-of-an-oncor-tower/

A dummy transmission tower was built to keep the eagles and their hatchlings from getting electrocuted. Tom Fleming

T40cfr403

« Reply #9423 on: September 15, 2019, 07:30:54 PM »

Short film captures struggle to save B.C.'s endangered songbirds

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/creator-network-keeping-track-short-film-1.5281244

A volunteer with the Vancouver Avian Research Centre fits a bird with an aluminum identification band. (Submitted/Keeping Track: Vancouver's Bird Banders)

T40cfr403

« Reply #9424 on: September 15, 2019, 08:07:13 PM »

NWargo01

« Reply #9425 on: September 16, 2019, 11:46:09 AM »

7 practically prehistoric animals you won't believe still exist

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/7-practically-prehistoric-animals-you-wont-believe-still-exist-949531.html

Okay, if that doesn't give me nightmares, nothing will! LOL

The Shoebill in particular gave me the heebie-jeebies!  Reminded me of a scene from one of the Jurassic Park movies where pterodactyls are attacking someone, and one of them turns to look at the other rescuers - it was a look that said "You're next!" 

Unbelievable that they all survived to this day when everything else in the world has changed!  Thanks for the info T40!
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

NWargo01

« Reply #9426 on: September 16, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »

Northern Ontario angler has close encounter with a bald eagle

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/northern-ontario-angler-has-close-encounter-with-a-bald-eagle-1.4592481

Angler Kevin Labrosse sacrificed his walleye to a bald eagle after it swooped down as he was reeling it in. (Supplied)

Seeing as how the eagle was wider than the boat they were in, and it had already swooped his head once, I can definitely see why he would willingly sacrifice his prize catch to the eagle.  And, of course, the pencil pushers in the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry just HAD to include this comment:

"If the eagle was injured as a result of the activity, it could be considered a violation of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997 (FWCA) - unlawfully hunting an eagle (as hunting includes harassing and this could be considered harassment). The use of a fish that was suitable for human consumption could be considered an infraction under the FWCA; it is an offence to abandon fish that you have caught, or permit the fish to become unsuitable for human consumption."

I would say an eagle landing on your head would be considered harassment more than giving up your fish so it leaves you alone!  And what about 'catch and release' , which is the only way I fish?  That could be considered abandoning a fish that I've caught.  Or are they referring to just leaving them on the bank to die rather than throwing them back in or keeping for consumption?

In any case, thanks for passing on this, and all the other posts that I'll be checking out on my lunch hour, T40!  You certainly find the most interesting bird news and facts!  :)
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9427 on: September 16, 2019, 12:39:34 PM »

NW - When I first saw the story I thought, "Oh, no. Not another eagle baiting video!" But, no! The fisher did a cool thing and we get to see a very smart eagle making the best of the situation. Everybirdy's a winner! ;)

NWargo01

« Reply #9428 on: September 16, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »

Des Moines' Drake neighborhood has a slight owl problem

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/2019/09/10/des-moines-drake-neighborhood-has-slight-owl-problem-barred-iowa-dnr-parks-wild-life-avian-bird/2275846001/

I wonder if it was a barred or GH owl that attacked Mom on the nest this past season?  Left a nasty bruise on the right side of her beak for quite a while. 

NWargo01

« Reply #9429 on: September 16, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »

NW - When I first saw the story I thought, "Oh, no. Not another eagle baiting video!" But, no! The fisher did a cool thing and we get to see a very smart eagle making the best of the situation. Everybirdy's a winner! ;)

Awesome!  Thanks again!

[attachment deleted by admin]

NWargo01

« Reply #9430 on: September 17, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »

7 practically prehistoric animals you won't believe still exist

Okay, T40, now I can't look at the innocent pelican without thinking of the Shoebill! LOL

Thanks for all these interesting posts!  Plenty to read and see on my lunch hour.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

T40cfr403

« Reply #9431 on: September 17, 2019, 10:50:11 PM »

Two birds missing from Birmingham Zoo after habitat vandalized

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/09/16/two-birds-missing-birmingham-zoo-after-habitat-vandalized/

T40cfr403

« Reply #9432 on: September 18, 2019, 03:23:45 PM »

Wildlife Care Center tries to determine what caused golden eagle to fall from roof

https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article235160257.html

T40cfr403

« Reply #9433 on: September 18, 2019, 03:26:22 PM »

Peregrine falcon that lived in Manayunk steeple found dead with severed leg. Did a drone do it?

https://www.inquirer.com/science/climate/falcon-manayunk-steeple-peregrine-death-20190918.html

T40cfr403

« Reply #9434 on: September 18, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »