Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Birds in the News  (Read 488989 times)

T40cfr403

Re: Birds in the News
« Reply #9390 on: September 07, 2019, 03:39:43 PM »

Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.
― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

T40cfr403

« Reply #9391 on: September 07, 2019, 03:42:08 PM »

How Fires in The Amazon Could Hurt Migratory Birds

https://www.alleghenyfront.org/how-fires-in-the-amazon-could-hurt-migratory-birds/

The black poll warbler migrates through Pennsylvania to the rainforest in Brazil. Photo courtesy of Powdermill Nature Reserve.
Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of the world.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9392 on: September 07, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »

Life's Too Salty for These Shorebirds

https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/lifes-too-salty-for-these-shorebirds/?utm_source=Hakai+Magazine+Weekly&utm_campaign=a910cb932b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_09_06_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0fc1967411-a910cb932b-121598265

Little stints breed in the Arctic and winter on the coastlines of Africa, India, Europe, and elsewhere. As with many species of shorebirds, loss and degradation of wetland foraging habitat is affecting their populations. Photo by Avi Meir/BIA/Minden Pictures

T40cfr403

« Reply #9393 on: September 07, 2019, 03:46:36 PM »

The Uncertain Future of Puffin for Dinner

https://www.hakaimagazine.com/features/uncertain-future-puffin-dinner/?utm_source=Hakai+Magazine+Weekly&utm_campaign=a910cb932b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_09_06_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0fc1967411-a910cb932b-121598265

As his ancestors have done for generations, Icelander ?rni Hilmarsson catches an Atlantic puffin in a net called a h?fur. Photo by Carsten Egevang/atlanticseabirds.info

T40cfr403

« Reply #9394 on: September 07, 2019, 04:14:57 PM »

T40cfr403

« Reply #9395 on: September 07, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »

Meet Iowa's new top bird expert

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/anna-buckardt-thomas-iowa-department-of-natural-resources-bird-ecologist-20190906

Anna Buckardt Thomas releases a golden-winged warbler from a mist net. (Luke Buckardt/submitted photo)

T40cfr403

« Reply #9396 on: September 07, 2019, 04:30:08 PM »

Intrepid sea eagle Culver returns to Isle of Wight after 680km adventure

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/17886374.intrepid-sea-eagle-culver-returns-isle-wight-680km-adventure/

T40cfr403

« Reply #9397 on: September 07, 2019, 04:32:35 PM »

BirdNote Stories for the week of September 8, 2019

https://mailchi.mp/birdnote/weeklypreview-867105?e=e2aca28750

Featuring: How High Birds Fly II

https://www.birdnote.org/show/how-high-birds-fly-ii

T40cfr403

« Reply #9398 on: September 08, 2019, 08:29:51 PM »

Professional gives a leg up to tree-climbing wannabes

https://www.idahopress.com/community/life/professional-gives-a-leg-up-to-tree-climbing-wannabes/article_3110228a-94f2-54c5-9095-f7a4feca2cdf.html

A harpy eagle, one of two birds David Anderson is currently studying through his work at the Peregrine Fund. Anderson is an ornithologist there in addition to climbing trees whenever he can.
David L. Anderson at Canopy Watch International

NWargo01

« Reply #9399 on: September 09, 2019, 12:23:09 PM »

Since my friends and relatives know I follow eagles (literally and figuratively!), they'll send me things that they think will interest me related to eagles.  My cousin in Conn. just sent me the two attached pics, which of course made me have to look up info about them.  ;D

"Harpy Eagles are among the world's largest and most powerful eagles. Their rear talons are about 3-4 inches long ? the same size as a grizzly bear's claws!"

"The Philippine eagle, also known as the monkey-eating eagle or great Philippine eagle, is an eagle of the family Accipitridae endemic to forests in the Philippines."

This info made me curious as to which eagle was the biggest, and this is what I found:

The World's Largest Eagles:

Haast's Eagle, 300 cm (118 inches)
Steller's Sea Eagle, 250 cm (98.4 inches) ...
White-tailed Eagle, 244 cm (96 inches) ...
Australian Wedge-Tailed Eagle, 230 cm (7.55 inches) ...
Golden Eagle, 220 cm (7.23 inches) ...
Philippine Eagle, 220 cm (86.6 inches) ...
Harpy Eagle, 200 cm (78.7 inches) ...
Martial Eagle, 193 cm (75.8 inches) ...

I wondered why the bald eagle wasn't on the list, so I looked that up also:

"A sea eagle, it has two known subspecies and forms a species pair with the white-tailed eagle."

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the bald eagle would be up near the top of this list by Stellar's Sea Eagle and the White Tailed Eagle.

(Originally posted on the Flyway thread, but realized it should go somewhere else.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9400 on: September 09, 2019, 01:46:39 PM »

Since my friends and relatives know I follow eagles (literally and figuratively!), they'll send me things that they think will interest me related to eagles.  My cousin in Conn. just sent me the two attached pics, which of course made me have to look up info about them.  ;D

"Harpy Eagles are among the world's largest and most powerful eagles. Their rear talons are about 3-4 inches long ? the same size as a grizzly bear's claws!"

"The Philippine eagle, also known as the monkey-eating eagle or great Philippine eagle, is an eagle of the family Accipitridae endemic to forests in the Philippines."

This info made me curious as to which eagle was the biggest, and this is what I found:

"A sea eagle, it has two known subspecies and forms a species pair with the white-tailed eagle."

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the bald eagle would be up near the top of this list by Stellar's Sea Eagle and the White Tailed Eagle.

(Originally posted on the Flyway thread, but realized it should go somewhere else.)

Thanks, NW. The numbers you quoted are wingspans, which I learned from reading the article the figures came from: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-largest-eagles-in-the-world.html. Wingspan isn't the primary measurement to consider when determining the "largest," because wingspan depends on the eagles' habitats. Well, everything depends on their habitats...

Before reading the source of the info, I was guessing Steller's as #1, maybe tied with Harpy and/or Philippine, and not considering Haast's at all.

That source says the Philippine eagle is the "largest and heaviest known eagle."  Haast's eagle is ranked #1 because it was the largest ever known, but is now extinct. It's a little hard to gauge the source's accuracy since they don't define what "large" means. But aren't they all spectacular?!

Philippine Eagle
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:59:16 PM by T40cfr403 »

NWargo01

« Reply #9401 on: September 09, 2019, 02:05:36 PM »

Thanks, NW. The numbers you quoted are wingspans, which I learned from reading the article the figures came from: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-largest-eagles-in-the-world.html.

That source says the Philippine eagle is the "largest and heaviest known eagle."  Haast's eagle is ranked #1 because it was the largest ever known, but is now extinct. It's a little hard to gauge the source's accuracy since they don't define what "large" means.

Thanks for that info T40!  I wonder why they still have an extinct eagle on the list?  And thanks for noting that those were the wingspans.  I was in a hurry with my boss in the office and only had time to post what I was able to.  I had seen a video on the Philippine eagle a while back and remembered that their diet consisted of monkeys.  Beautiful eagles.  And the Harpy eagle looks fearsome! 
My spirit will never be broken or caught, for the soul is a free flying thing, like an eagle that needs neither comfort or thought to rise up on glorious wings.

T40cfr403

« Reply #9402 on: September 15, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »

T40cfr403

T40cfr403

« Reply #9404 on: September 15, 2019, 03:41:44 PM »