Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah Eagles 2024  (Read 49907 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Decorah Eagles 2024
« Reply #330 on: April 16, 2024, 01:48:11 PM »

This morning when HM & HD were perched on the lower bluff tree, one left and the other followed.  They both headed to the pond and flew down to fish at the same time.  HM had flown back towards the bluffs, while HD landed on the S side of the pond.

Puff

« Reply #331 on: April 16, 2024, 06:07:52 PM »

Here's my observations from yesterday.  I'm wondering if anyone else was following along and agrees with my summaries of what was happening.  I got caught up in events about 6:30.

It started with the gander looking down to the ground from various points on the nest.  He covered all 360 degrees.  Mom just watched over the 6 goslings.  But then he stopped at one spot for quite a while; mom came over by him to see what he decided.  I swear that was very clear a joint decision.  You could hear him making the come hither squawks.  Then MG jumped.  And very different from previous "leaps" this time didn't take long at all.  I remember it being a 1/2 hour ordeal.  This time someone quoted 2 minutes?  But then we still had #6.  That one ran from one part of the edge to the other.  Trying to make sure they were using the best launch???   It tried and almost decided on a couple places before jumping; he/she didn't jump to any rash decision.

I also think they found the unsuccessful little one.  And I did notice too that the landing area picked out by FG was right next to a walkin spot along the side of Trout Creek.  Didn't have to hike to find a good low jump in spot.  Also noted during the week that FG and MG weren't into padding up the landing spot with grass and other soft stuff.  It wasn't at all like the prep that we've seen before.  It ain't easy being a parent goose, a novice gosling, or step aunts and step uncles.   ;D  Because of no identifying marks or actual  onsite observations we'll never know for sure if #6 was #6.  It was just the one chosen to get to goose heaven and prepare a final nest for all to follow.   :-*

P   

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2024, 07:14:59 PM »

On their Facebook post when asked if the gosling that didn't make it was the last one to jump, Amy replied:

"quite possibly. The last one jumped off towards the y-branch, which is consistent with where we found it."

BrokenLug

« Reply #333 on: April 16, 2024, 09:14:23 PM »

At N2B, four eggs with hatch expected April 20. 
This morning around 10:00, the female (N2BMG) lifted up and gave the cam ops (DGC pics) a great view of the eggs. 

N2BMG     I'll be darned a square bole of goose down is very warm isn't it.   

Oh' at such elevation I long for such warmth and swaddle. 

Remember the crib rails of N2B are now way more gosling friendly and way less bald eagle juvenile crib rails.

The landing zone below N2B (not as high as N1) is receptive. 

I sure wish I had put some more of that stuff in my sleeping bag

More toes and finger tips not missing digits as it were - 25 ° F
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 12:32:08 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

LisaG1967

« Reply #334 on: April 17, 2024, 05:54:44 AM »

BL - Brrr, stay warm!

Ginger - Thanks for the RRP reply to your post.  :D

Puff - I think you are pretty much on spot with your summaries.   :)

In case someone missed this yesterday.  N2BMG got a lil wind blown yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0RIsJ9Zad3w4v9LPyA_Sat_hAqdolrMTNB3EogDKtRD2t6i7e25dKZq3k_aem_AcjsXVDZWSfmhorZmOGcuSGtY7rY8P_L5oXFlyACr6jWx2nPoHc93nRfgO_w1RMr5WnY9TYJ9TVN_7rkaiNekzdE&v=pZEqWIpqMLk&feature=youtu.be

LisaG1967

« Reply #335 on: April 17, 2024, 04:15:15 PM »

Another goose pair arrived at N1 this afternoon when goose who laid egg was out.  It seems they want dibs on N1 now.  Very interesting looking goose.

karengramke

« Reply #336 on: April 17, 2024, 05:45:09 PM »

Lisa!  fantastic   Screen  cap s of the rare piebald cg!   I enlarged the black and white neck and the pattern is exquisite.  Rrp may want to document this! 

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #337 on: April 18, 2024, 12:32:28 PM »

Thanks, Lisa and Karen! Very cool to see the piebald Canada Goose with this new pair at N1!! I looked up some information about piebald Canada Geese vs. leucistic, and there are examples of both types in the Canada Geese population. Lucky to spot the "spotted" - piebald necked - Canada Goose on the Decorah N1 nest live cam!! I found a few articles about variations of piebald in the Canada Goose, and sometimes it's on the neck, while other times the piebald coloration is on a different part of the body. Not very common to see it apparently. If they hatch any goslings on cam, it will be neat to see any reports in the area of any piebald offspring results as they molt into adult plumage.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

BrokenLug

« Reply #338 on: April 18, 2024, 12:58:57 PM »

I also read that colorization on a CG can be the result of a CG cross breeding with another type of goose such as a Snow Goose.

The articles were referring to them as Hybrid Canada Geese.

So this CG could be leucistic, piebald or a hybrid.

Pretty cool looking. I've never seen one before.
If this pair decides to stay at least we'll know for sure which one this one is.   ;)
U. S. A.

STLbf

« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2024, 02:24:49 PM »

The piebald (odd coloration) goose surely is an interesting addition to the gallery of geese here at RRP.  BL, I agree that at least we will be able to identify one of the many!

The single egg at N1 was left alone and uncovered from midnight to about 7:00 this morning when the "pair of the day" landed.  They are somewhat crabby with each other, the normal colored and larger of the two seems to be prodding at the piebald.  Still, the piebald  covered up the egg later in the morning and is sitting on it some of the time.

Several turkey vultures were eating at a very large dead fish near the Pond aroung 1:00 this afternoon.  It has been raining here, too.

BrokenLug

« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2024, 04:58:44 PM »

Purely based on the size of the CG's currently at N1 I think the piebald one is the female.

Great screen grab of the CG pair landing at N1 STL8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 05:09:23 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

LisaG1967

« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2024, 04:59:33 PM »

Purely based on the size of the CG's currently at N1 I think the piebald one is the female.

I think you are right.  She looks smaller, and the male is huge!

LisaG1967

« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2024, 05:02:07 PM »

The piebald (odd coloration) goose surely is an interesting addition to the gallery of geese here at RRP.  BL, I agree that at least we will be able to identify one of the many!

The single egg at N1 was left alone and uncovered from midnight to about 7:00 this morning when the "pair of the day" landed.  They are somewhat crabby with each other, the normal colored and larger of the two seems to be prodding at the piebald.  Still, the piebald  covered up the egg later in the morning and is sitting on it some of the time.

Several turkey vultures were eating at a very large dead fish near the Pond aroung 1:00 this afternoon.  It has been raining here, too.
Great pics, STL

Had to giggle at your crabby comment. 

Just from watching, it seems like most males peck or bite at the necks of their females when other geese fly by.  I noticed it with MG & FG, but FG did not do it as much as this male does to the piebald. 

They are very vocal that is for sure!

glogdog

• ChatMods
  • And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings!
« Reply #343 on: April 20, 2024, 08:31:28 AM »

We're on Hatch Watch at our Canada Goose nest at N2B today.  Watch and listen for a Flash Chat if we see hatching starting.  Chat will be at the DE site here https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/

Watch the webcam feed here https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-goose-cam/
Hope to see you there!
glogdog

Puff

« Reply #344 on: April 20, 2024, 08:36:01 AM »

Hey Glog   ;D
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28   Go Up