Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2023  (Read 69284 times)

STLbf

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2023
« Reply #480 on: June 30, 2023, 11:59:06 AM »

The sub-adult is still nearby, seen about 8:30 AM with a large fish at the fallen limb from DN12's Tree. After eating the whole fish, the sub-a had a creek bath then perched in the Brush Pile Tree until posting time at about noon. Watch the sub-adult on rewind or video if you can, better action.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #481 on: June 30, 2023, 09:26:50 PM »

STL -- Very nice pics from today.  An unusually busy day.  The unidentified bird with the male Cowbird is a female.

MNLindaBird

« Reply #482 on: July 01, 2023, 10:37:56 AM »

Good morning all.  Have upcoming ATF on my July radar.  Hope others do too :)  Want to comment on the MOST beautiful screen cap I've ever seen gleaned from our RRP cams of the Sandhill Crane wingspan/back view.  The cranes already have such a fascinating and amazing array of hues to their feather colors.  This shot captures it all.  Almost like being there.

Then, anybody know what all the noises are about on the mics near the North nest? But for a lack of huffing and puffing, I would wonder if work by person is being done during times of access.  If so, somebody sounds like a healthy person ;)  If critter, sure is a noisy one.

Am also hoping DH2 is on the fly (on wing?) and will check in with RRP soon...

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #483 on: July 01, 2023, 10:52:23 AM »

Linda -- If you can post some times as to when you're hearing those noises I'll go listen.  I often have the audio turned way down so there are a lot of sounds I don't hear.

STLbf

« Reply #484 on: July 01, 2023, 03:29:10 PM »

MNLinda, about the excellent sandhill crane pic, I think it might be the one I posted yesterday.  All thanks to the camera operators!  Feel free to use it any way you choose, and I'm pleased that you remarked about it.

I haven't paid much attention to people sounds from DNN, but it is a working farm, so they use tractors in the fields, and power saws, etc. from time to time.  The eagles and other critters don't seem much bothered.  Have you ever been watching when a young eagle has a close encounter with one of the cows?  Hilarious.  Might be in an archival video.

MNLindaBird

« Reply #485 on: July 01, 2023, 06:04:26 PM »

Ginger - Noises were occurring at the time I sent my message which is what prompted me to post an inquiry.

STLbf

« Reply #486 on: July 02, 2023, 11:18:41 AM »

Cattle in the picture this morning early.

Question for watching experts -- Has the DNN nest tree died?  If so, it will get weaker as time goes on. Also less shade for the eagles in future.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #487 on: July 03, 2023, 09:20:37 AM »

STL -- the branch the nest is on is dead but the rest of the tree is NOT dead -- cam op said this.

Here are some pics from this morning (around 6:25 a.m.) of an American Redstart male.  Merlin frequently identifies its song, but this is the first time this season that I've been able to ID a sighting on cam.  It was on the upper branches of the Ladder Branch.

STLbf

« Reply #488 on: July 03, 2023, 02:36:55 PM »

Ginger and cam op, thanks for nest tree health update.

American redstart is really beautiful!  I got a pic also and wondered what, was guessing oriole because I've never seen a redstart.  Birdwatcher's delight here at DNN.  Red-winged blackbird male on the Yonder snag at 6:00, and a fledgling at 8:30 I couldn't identify but possibly Gray Catbird.

Coyote with a successful catch of something small, guessing mammal like a vole, about 9:00.

STLbf

« Reply #489 on: July 04, 2023, 12:23:34 PM »

Happy 4th of July Everybirdie !!

It's a quiet day so far at DNN on this holiday.  DNF was perched in the BPT until small birds annoyed her into flying to the Scary Tree for more perching. When she flew away from there, she disappeared.  I'm guessing she has joined MrN and the others to watch an Independence Day parade.   ;D    ;D    ;D

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #490 on: July 04, 2023, 12:48:04 PM »

Happy 4th STL and Everyone.  JMO I think it was Mr. North that we saw this morning.  Here are some pics of two of the birds mobbing him.

At around 8:13 Mr. North flew off of BPT.  He'd been relentlessly mobbed by an Eastern Kingbird, but after a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher joined in the fun he decided he'd had enough.

This pic shows both mobbers (or are they mobsters??).

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher (circled).  It's much smaller than the Kingbird.

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher in flight (circled).  ID is from small size and dark tail with white tail feathers on each side.

STLbf

« Reply #491 on: July 04, 2023, 04:35:44 PM »

Ginger, no argument from me about who was which being mobbed early this morning.  When they are not together to compare size, I look for MrN's right eye smutch and the feather parting on the back of DNF's head.  The light was not good enough for either tiny characteristic to show well at that distance.

STLbf

« Reply #492 on: July 06, 2023, 12:01:30 PM »

BE perched in a couple different creek trees this morning.  No pics, same views as yesterday!

Great video and closeups of several bucks grazing early today.   The bucks hang around together in summer, like chums.

Pair of sandhill cranes also.  Wonder if they might try to nest here?

STLbf

« Reply #493 on: July 07, 2023, 09:27:20 PM »

Berries of all kinds are ripening now, and the berry-eaters are having a feast late afternoon.  Cedar waxwings out by the Brush Pile, American Robin up close under the nest tree, and a Downy woodpecker male after insects in a small tree next to one of the downed logs.  More little birds that were too fast or far to get a decent pic.

STLbf

« Reply #494 on: July 09, 2023, 02:54:49 PM »

Daybreak work by the cam ops of a nest visit by the Norths!  They picked around for a short while, then flew off one at a time, to the Brush Pile Tree.  Both are looking scruffy from scratching at the fly bites.  It's always good to see them close together.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 51   Go Up