Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 648144 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #26745 on: May 12, 2023, 05:57:54 PM »

Dunkeld Scotland ...  29:02      88°  (2:41 pm)  It's bright and sunny out, with a bit of wind.  Chances of rain are coming up from about Sunday to Thursday next week  <fingers crossed>

I hope that your day is generally going in the right direction.  I'm doing okay.

Hi Joho ... you're right, soup is good any time, even summer as far as I'm concerned.  What are your favorites?  I love New England Clam Chowder, Chicken Noodle soup with wide noodles, and several others.  Crackers of some kind are a good addition, my mother gave us saltines.  I hope that you had a good outing today.

Hi Cal ...   Thanks for bringing us Dr. Rogers photography each day, it is such a treat to see it.  Isn't that duck something?
I missed that, what will Erdogan lose?  He has declared himself 'President for Life' several years ago.  Maybe he will lose on his vote against Sweden - hopefully.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #26746 on: May 13, 2023, 05:25:46 AM »

Lily, Her Yearlings, and More - UPDATE May 12, 2023

Lily
Lily and her yearlings are great. The photos show Lily and her three yearlings (Female Calla and Males Carex and Coverly) all at good weights looking fit and healthy.

Lily with 3 yearlings
Lily with 3 yearlings

As I heard the story of last night, things got tense, though. Big male Loppy showed up, making Lily clack her jaws with anxiety. But Loppy was her mate back in 2014. Is there a change in attitude in the works? Loppy seemed interested. Is Lily approaching family breakup?Loppy in 2015
Loppy in 2015

I saw another situation a little like this back on June 8, 2008 that coincidently involved Lily when she was a yearling. All seemed fine between June and her daughter until Big Harry came on the scene. Lily climbed a tree. June seemed confused, but then she chose Big Harry and that was the moment of family breakup and how Jewel and Jordan came to be.

Loppy in 2016
Loppy in 2016
But back to the present with Loppy not being welcomed. The standing picture of Loppy is from just a year after he mated with Lily and he was still handsome. The picture to the left shows him just a year later after mating battles had torn his lip and he looks more like the battered bear he is today. He is generally shy and risk averse. But I suspect there is more to come between him and Lily.

I hope there are more sightings to learn when family breakup happens and how the story goes.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #26747 on: May 13, 2023, 05:46:36 AM »

hi you guys its 69 and lighting to the east 51 in iceland and 70 in kyiv i hate to read about family breakups  make me so sad. poor little ones hard to believe a mom would choose a boyfriend over kids but they do not just bears either. gee loppy you sure got beat up was it worth it?

hi joho well jim said his dad will use his walker the one with a seat too then when if he feels dizzy or tired and sit down. did you have a fun day yesterday? i like vegan soup with a cheese sandwich and few salines well a whole pack of crackers the smaller pack as i share with the dogs.

hi neva in turkey it looks like pres term is 5 years and that crud has won 4 times but now people there mad he did help much after earthquake and they know nato not happy with him at all and putin is and inflation really high there younger people want someone else the new guy is calm and for nato and stuff. but crud like trump has already said if he loses will not step down or say it was not true power to the people so we will see election there are today i believe. i really hope he loses and yes sweden will be in and so many around the world will be happy putin will not be well cant make everyone happy.

i saw on the world news ukraine soldiers gaining ground russian troups on the run i mean they was running.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/98055D541CA4?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #26748 on: May 13, 2023, 08:21:18 AM »

Quickly Aite him to take pictures together

National Geographic
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #26749 on: May 13, 2023, 08:39:42 AM »

5:10 Yes did have a good day yesterday.  Took two bike rides, and went on an evening woods walk called an Owl Prowl.  Got to see a broad wing hawk twice, a barred owl, and a very confident raccoon lounging on a limb just outside his den in a hollowed tree.  He let us talk about him and take pictures too.  He was obviously just enjoying the evening.  We rarely see them out in the daylight, but it was just so warm and humid.  I suspect his hole was too hot for him.
Today at 1pm we will celebrate Bash's first birthday.  I am glad the COVID is gone enough to enjoy getting together again. There will be cake!
Bug lady said she would be here today early to treat for my mites.  They are bad around here this year.  Hope the rain holds off for her.  She is nice.  She lost her Yorkie a while back to traffic.  She said she has a new friend who is a ferret.  I hope she brings him along.  We had some years ago.  I remember they sometimes missed the litter box, because the stool was so long and sometimes it stuck to the wall above the litter box.  They were friendly though, and loved petting.  Dogs are better. FYI Good to hear from you all.  CUL GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #26750 on: May 13, 2023, 01:56:37 PM »

hi neva turkey election is sunday may 14 i thought today was sunday no cal its sat be a nice mom day if erogan loses! pres zen was in vactican met with the pope he went to italy who will send more military help believes ukraine will win
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #26751 on: May 13, 2023, 07:59:42 PM »

Sunup Cactus ...  24:02     93°  (5:53 pm)   A lot of clouds today and a little breezy.

Hi Cal and Joho.

Cal, thanks for explaining that about Erdogon.  I didn't realize that they still went through the voting process in Turkey.  I thought that when he declared he was President for life, that voting stopped.  Yes, I pray that he loses big time.
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26752 on: May 14, 2023, 05:32:25 AM »

calhound

« Reply #26753 on: May 14, 2023, 05:44:57 AM »

hi you guys its 64 here 51 in iceland 72 in kyiv and 68 in the barn. it was hot yesterday and it got up to  80 in the barn  it was nice in front of sweets fan and all the vents back by indy but other places it was warm i looked into sweets area and there was that milk snake  :( so i went to the garage and got that bag of snake away grain stuff put it all over it really has a smell too. but i dont know did not see but a couple mice out in sweets area earlier makes me so mad they were so happy running around. i did see a possum in the barn few days ago mostly see them on the sidewalk by door i know they get snakes and even poison ones will not hurt them so sorry snake either you take off or i hope possum finds you. you got to go.

hi joho are you guys getting together for moms day?

hi neva i sure do hope erdogan loses big too cause if its close another election will take place i doubt he loses big but just losing will be okay be great for not just turkey but nato and bunch of people.  have a good moms day today

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A5055D58A040?z=0

johoward

« Reply #26754 on: May 14, 2023, 11:09:11 AM »

5:30  Thanks Cal
Good party for Bash. Mostly outdoors in Mary's back yard. Bash did his part well trying to put out his single candle as quick as he could.  Only thing was he kept trying to use his hands, but Mary made sure that did not happen, and finally the wind helped him put it out for good.  Then he cried.
 There was a bounce house in the front yard which was well used.
 Lots of youngsters, and guests from a few weeks of age to 83 years. There were five generations from 6 or 7 families with the 20 to 35 year age group being the largest, but almost matched by the birth to 12 year group.  Thanks to Mary's and Shannon's childhood friends now having babies.
I want to wish Happy Mothers Day to all mothers today, but do not have any personal plans.
I will go now to Meijer's for some $1.00 Campbells soup and Chicken of the Sea tuna. I still have several cans in the pantry, but I must encourage them by buying when they meet my price.  Campbells made a good profit at $1.00, and made obscene excess profits at all prices above that then bragged about the wonderful quarter they had to their stockholders.  Thieves!  Stealing our retirement savings I say. Just trying to make Biden look bad.
OK I put the soapbox away now, and will head out for the day.

CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #26755 on: May 14, 2023, 11:30:18 AM »

hi joho wind helped blow out single candle then he cried so funny nice party yes food crooks! 2 russian fighter jets down 2 russian choppers also gone was heading to bomb kill more cilivans in ukraine all crew dead i checked on turkey polls closed says tight race ergo could lose im nervous really want him to lose. nato needs to get sweden and ukraine in then putins war is over forever. did you use that bounce house

neva

« Reply #26756 on: May 14, 2023, 06:56:16 PM »

Cherry Blossoms ...  28:07     91°  ( 4:09 pm)    Some sun, but mostly cloudy today and a slight breeze.  It was 95° earlier.

Happy Mother's Day ...  You too, Cal ... furry and feathered kids count too.

Hi Joho ...  That sounded like a great get together for Bash.    🎂
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #26757 on: May 15, 2023, 05:40:21 AM »

Green-Up, Big Changes - UPDATE May 14, 2023

Red-bellied woodpecker
With sunny daytime temperatures in the seventies and eighties now, green-up is leaping forward; and animals are changing their diets and routines. Bear food is suddenly everywhere. Throughout the upland forests and openings, large-leaved aster is covering the forest floor and is a favorite at this stage. White clover, another favorite, is up, too. Some aspen trees are still in the catkin stage, and many quaking aspens have young leaves—both are bear foods.

Large-leaf aster
Large-leaf aster
 White clover
White clover
A couple nights ago, a night-time bear visitor let me know how he had spent his day. His piece of evidence was almost entirely vegetation.

Deer that had been eating peanuts (with no shells) turned to eating grass but have mostly stopped coming now that young green leaves are all through the forest. A picture shows a 4-foot aspen sapling that gave up its bud tip to a deer over winter and is now covered with leaves for both deer and bears.

Aspen leafing out
Aspen leafing out
 Aspen leaves
Aspen leaves
Birdlife is changing, too. Juncos and their goldfinch cousins have disappeared and been replaced by rose-breasted grosbeaks, chipping sparrows, ruby-throated hummingbirds, and the first of the warblers—yellow-rumped and pine so far. Red-winged blackbirds are showing more of the red on their shoulders now. Gulls are back in force. The out-of-place red-bellied woodpecker that appeared on October 11 is still here now seven months later where he won’t find a mate.

Herring gull
Herring gull

It’s nice to see the forest turning green; but with all that’s happening, the best feeling is seeing or hearing about each bear that is still with us, including Lily.

With the late spring and somewhat delayed green-up, there is less chance of berry blossoms being killed by a spring frost, making me optimistic that this will be a good berry year for the bears. It’s too early, though, to know about rainfall that can also make or break a berry crop.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #26758 on: May 15, 2023, 05:53:35 AM »

hi you guys its 58 raining 51 raining in iceland and 71 in kyiv.  nice food for bears and everyone. i have a woodpecker like that one i hope that one up there finds a mate. it looks like a runoff on may 28th in turkey. read some said still close even with erdogan lies etc. third party got little over 5% of vote and erd got like 49 and new guy got almost 45 so if that third one had not ran maybe new guy would of gotten over 50% and won so still possible for him i hope.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C5055D5717E8?z=0

johoward

« Reply #26759 on: May 15, 2023, 06:45:31 AM »

5:46 Erdogan is a selfish person.  Those that voted for him are the same.  Reminds me of other groups of unbelievably selfish "great" people everywhere.
I saw Giant Eagle on the early news bragging how they have red tagged some small quantity of items on sale. They raised the price on thousands of items over the last several months.  Now they have red tagged a few, guessing 100, and are bragging about helping us out.
 They also bragged about putting some expired items near the door at 40 % off instead of in the garbage as in the past.  Of course these items were increased a lot last year.  That is why they are still in the store. Even at 40% off they are still 26% higher than last year.  Come on! The average bill a year ago was $60.  Now it is $102.  Come on!  These guys are even worse than the oil giants.  It is all just to make Biden look bad.  Don't be fooled.
Bye for now.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine
 Yesterday I drove 50 miles to Meijer's for some $1.00 Campbells Chicken Noodle soup and some $1.00 tuna.  I got the soup ,but forgot the tuna.  I will go back today.