Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 653746 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24135 on: November 15, 2021, 05:33:31 AM »

Can Ted Recover During Hibernation? - UPDATE November 14, 2021
Ted
Ted on Nov. 14

I am waiting for the full medical report about Ted’s surgery, knowing that it was more extensive than expected. Will he heal when he is slowed down for winter? Yes, mammals in the order Carnivora are known for their ability to heal wounds incurred during their predatory attacks. Although bears are not major predators, they are descendents of predators and have the same ability to heal. But I used to wonder if hibernation would hamper that. It didn’t. During my old days of visiting bears in winter dens I saw plenty of wounds from bullets, arrows, and other causes in my fall visits and found them largely healed by spring. No one knows exactly how they do it. It probably helps that they don’t reduce body temperature nearly as much as deeper hibernators do. It remains above 88° Fahrenheit, which means they can maintain most body functions. They also don’t slow their heart rate as much as other hibernators. It can fall to five beats per minute for a few seconds while exhaling, but it then speeds up to maintain a much higher overall rate per minute, generally over 22 beats per minute. Although studies in captivity have shown that black bears don’t eat, drink, urinate, or defecate; our studies in the wild show that they eat snow and icicles and mothers ingest urine from their cubs. In turn, they urinate as we have seen on den cams.

Ted's surgery   Ted's surgery
Ted's surgery on November 12
To see how Ted is doing, I paid him a brief visit this morning. He isn’t yet making friendly grunts, but he did welcome me by extending his tongue. He recognizes people but is not yet his vigorous, friendly self. I frequently look at bears’ eyes to judge their mood. Ted’s eyes today look unexpressive and not the engaging, loving eyes I see when he makes his friendly grunts and licks my face while eye to eye. I look forward to seeing him gain energy and be his old self—and perhaps better than ever without his dental problems.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24136 on: November 15, 2021, 05:43:49 AM »

hi you guys its 41 here clear one raccoonie hard to see ted like that in the pictures and hearing he is still not himself but he will be. He had alot done take a few days god watching over him and lots of people too.

hi joho i did not watch all the chiefs game but it was a good one! i saw the beginning of the browns game they were ahead but then later i guess they lost it. did they/ if so i am sorry.

hi neva!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/DF055D4B9673?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #24137 on: November 15, 2021, 11:20:46 AM »

i drove down that hwy in the desert for 3:19 looking for nevas house!
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #24138 on: November 15, 2021, 12:16:00 PM »

5:34 Looks like a good road for a motorcycle trip.
Ted more himself today.  I am so relieved.
Not a bad day here 40 degrees and cloudy at 1:15 PM.  Wind is calm.
Have to go out soon to Drugmart, walmart, and Meijer for RX and some foods.  Nothing major or interesting.  Oh wait washer has stopped.  GTG  CUL GB

calihoula

« Reply #24139 on: November 15, 2021, 02:02:35 PM »

hi joho i hope you meant washing machine done not done done gone see ya by nice knowing ya. i went and picked up groceries at walmart at 8 did pearls med at 7 am shoot cat fight in my room all clear now i ordered cat litter like 3 20 lb jugs but they were out subsitute omg they loaded up all this litter fresh step those of you know expensive scoopable litter package of four sacks ten pounds in each sack gave me 3 of those! and a big box of scoopaway and a new kind of fresh step in a box i said wow you guys sure on this yes i got another file cabinet business has been good this year now i got 7 file cabinets they were jam packed too need another one but this will help have to start stacking them on top of each other my printer has stuff for me in the morning mr kitty hits print on it. suppose to be 70 tomorrow
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #24140 on: November 15, 2021, 06:03:35 PM »

Yes Cal LOL I meant time to switch to dryer.  Sorry.
 Was a good day here .  Shopping done safely.  Saw lots of masks.  All the employees were safely masked in all stores.  Some free shoppers were not, and had a challenging look on their face besides.  So so selfish and intentionally dangerous. Mask up my friends.  It is such a minimal thing to do to live, and if one of those unmasked ones in the store gave you a bug your mask will keep it to yourself and not your child.
I have heard of some positive tests in an old age home around here.  Last time I was there there were lots of bare faces and under chin mask compliance by employees.  All residents outside their rooms were properly masked over mouth and nose.
  Now with a positive employee result I see both masks and plastic full face shields over the mask.  Too late I say. Residents are all put in danger by careless staff.  Should be illegal.
Well that is enough preaching for now.  I know some of you are freedom lovers and will say I am lying, but I know what I saw and  the huge number of dead and suffering people know what's up.

neva

« Reply #24141 on: November 15, 2021, 07:43:19 PM »

Desert Road ...   21:35     ( It's 76° on back porch right now, was in low 80s earlier this afternoon.)  'Desert Road'  ... well, follow that road way down there and to the right, around the base of that mountain.  Keep going 'til you see a forest of big Saguaro cactus and eventually, you'll come to my town and my house ...   🌵😎🌵🌵🌴🌴🌞

The furnace is working well, Cal, but the guy says I should replace it next year.  We'll see.  I think I need to replace the cooler first.  I don't want to do summer out here without it.

Rues, Lupine, Ra ... you are still missed.  I hope that you are all feeling and doing well. 

My husband would have been 86 today.  We all miss him a lot.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 07:47:23 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24142 on: November 16, 2021, 05:15:17 AM »

hi you guys its 42 here one raccoonie in the barn last night well at 6 pm and i was running late in the barn cause i went and got groceries at walmart and unloading put away tons of stuff so behind cause i have to keep on with my stuff after i combed out pearl came out of the barn and it was dark i looked to the east saw the moon wow the moon but did not see it this morning lots of stars no moon. anyway just got in looked out my window there was my possum and his raccoonie or she friend at least they dont fight eat together if i wake up and look later lots of raccoonies and two possums not any food left by morning and i put out lots of food. drink the water in that huge heated dog bowl too. so they have a good safe place to eat and drink.

hi joho i so agree with you about the mask and esp not getting vaccinated some of them i think its your not going to tell me what to do well go ahead get it and suffer and maybe not make it. when we was kids we had to have our shots before starting school. and we got them there was someone telling us what to do thank god for that. health workers that say to not get vaccinated really upset me and poor people stuck in a nursing home like poor jp i really get mad staff bring it to them yes so selfish. so us that dont want that or give it to someone just get our boosters wear a mask and anyone that would get in jims face about that be sorry you dont tug on supermans cape you dont spit in the wind you dont pull the mask off the lone ranger and you dont mess around with jim. showed little kids sick with covid on the news earlier pretty hard to watch that how anyone would want to risk that is beyond me.

hi neva! i was on the right hwy to your house!! should of kept going! oh i would get that cooler fixe first for sure!! it was 70 here yesterday and today 73 but cold front be moving in thursday. tomorrow rain all day boo to that rain then get cold takes forever to dry out. Happy birthday to your husband. he is jims dad age. penny woke me up at 2 am dang penny her and brownie are huge talkers i can hear them talking to him in the kitchen.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B5055D53444C?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24143 on: November 16, 2021, 08:18:49 AM »

5:45 trolly not too bad for me.
Winter is here. 33 degrees and cloudy.  Will still go out.  To mail an early card to a cousin in hospital.  He has little joy left in his life due to alcoholism,.  It is sad for me, because of our group he was the most adventurous and exuberant one day to day.  Very pleasant and strong.  I recall he would demonstrate one hand flips any time anywhere just for fun.  Now he cannot walk without support.  Age has got him.
 He was in the Marines in a tank and in the engineering group.  He was younger than I, but still one of my favorites.  He was the last born little one of our group, and tried extra hard to keep up with us.  I am really sad for him.  His name is Carey.
 I believe in the power of prayer that he be comforted at this time.
Well time to head out to the post office and get his card on its way.  So cul GB

calihoula

« Reply #24144 on: November 16, 2021, 10:52:31 AM »

hi joho sorry about carey lots of us cant do like we could sorry about drinking my dad was an alkie a mean one when drinking but he did quit  :) its cold there warm for neva i like hearing everyones temp i knew a carey his brother was my friend and worked at my dads gas station he joined the airforce retired from there was living in la scott moved there too and scott passed away about 15 years ago.

hi neva rereading my post i meant your larry would of been jims dad age and jims dad name is also larry well lawrence but he did not go by that i call him pops dogs call him grandpa with the people fud! i had to go put air in pollys focus that we bought cause she lost her license could not begin to pass 4 that is 4 driving test in little towns thank you god! anyway low tire on what a pain put 38 still on 40 still on put 42 each tire said i just dare you light to still be on it was off! again thank you god!

calihoula

« Reply #24145 on: November 16, 2021, 10:56:15 AM »

caught the trolley in 2:45

calhound

« Reply #24146 on: November 17, 2021, 05:18:33 AM »

Dedication and Passion - UPDATE November 16, 2021
Sharon prepares Ted's food
Sharon prepares Ted's food
Sharon Herrell, the NABC Curator of Bears, is both dedicated and passionate about bears and has shown that since she began working to create the North American Bear Center and care for its bears since it opened in May 2007.

Yesterday, I asked what her days were as she helps Ted recover from dental surgery. She said, “I worry about Ted. I feed him. I worry about Ted some more and feed and care for him again. Simple as that sounds, it’s more complicated than usual. With Ted’s mouth recovering from surgery, he needs soft foods and has special meds. Sharon grinds up his pills with a pestle and mortar, grinds his foods in a blender, and mixes them in his bowl. But Ted is not always ready to eat this nutrition that he needs to heal. He is probably worn out from the surgery as well as slowing down for winter. He would try to eat them lying on his side, but that risks the food going down the wrong pipe. Sharon is patient and knows better than anyone how to work with Ted. Ted eventually complies. She has 14 years experience with Ted, and they know each other well. Sharon does whatever is needed for him.

Sharon with Ted
Sharon with Ted
Sharon gets Ted up to eat
Getting Ted to eat
We are very lucky to have Sharon as part of the excellent team that leads the North American Bear Center.

Thank you all for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24147 on: November 17, 2021, 05:30:01 AM »

hi you guys it is 48 and really windy. Sharon cares for ted same reason as i do my pearl the racconies dogs cats etc love.  :) Thank goodness ted has her and she has him. we took out our 4 wheelers yesterday afternoon rode the big loop saw many trucks sitting along the road deer hunters  >:( jim ran one out of the broken down school house last week  heading down a long stretch of just land and gravel road saw two hunters leaning against their truck drinking beer no deer in the back so they got nothing getting late be dark within an hour or so and no hunting at dark too bad cause no lights anywhere around here drunk hunters in the pitch black shooting.  :) oh they so waved to us i was first i gave a dirty look shaking my head speeded up eat my dust. oh sorry jim little dusty back there.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/5B055D514AAA?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #24148 on: November 17, 2021, 02:57:00 PM »

finished that race in 3:17

johoward

« Reply #24149 on: November 17, 2021, 05:16:05 PM »

5:34 not much of a contest. Eh?
Nice day here but dark.  It is still 63 degrees at 6pm.  Can't last in November.
Not much to share.  Stayed in all day.  Fished yesterday, but saw absolutely nothing.
Sleepy already.  LOL Time change has got me.
CUL EV1 Ted is looking pretty normal.   Thank God.
GB my friends