Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 147213 times)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #2655 on: March 19, 2024, 11:35:11 AM »

Royal Albatross - Ranger Sharyn posts

Kia ora koutou (hello everyone)

Top Flat chick is 56 days old and weighs 3.45 kg. This is a big drop from the massive 5 kg last week but is still up from the week prior which was 3.3kg. Top Flat chick was last fed by LGL on the 14th of March. LGK was last in on the 13th of March. A reweigh may be necessary later in the week if no further feeding is sighted here.

Top Flat Track chick is 48 days old and weighs 3.05 kg. This is down slightly from last week’s 3.2 kg but both parents have been in regularly here. Weighing at both nests was around 10.45am this morning. BOK arrived at Top Flat Track just over an hour later.

Both chicks are well into post-guard stage life now and have very thick down that keeps them warm and dry in stormy weather. Full tummies keep the chicks warm as well.

A technical note:

Our current webcam, supplied by Cornell Lab of Ornithology in 2019, the Axis P5635-E MkII PTZ, is being replaced by an Axis P5676-LE PTZ cam. This one has an inbuilt night light system so will be more streamlined that the first Axis model that became the Royalcam and is now in transit to Dunedin. We hope to have the new cam installed in a few weeks and the live stream will be off-line while the change is being made. It will be great to have the night viewing back now the days are getting shorter.

TF (Top Flat) chick on left - TFT (Top Flat Track) chick on right - both are in alert as weigh station rangers are coming.

Good morning Beakers!
Hi Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Lisa, I watched Mother Goose last night. Hubby was with her for awhile. He was very protective. I loved how he turned to look at her and said something. It looked like he said. "I'm going now dear, but I'll be watching you." She's such a sweet thing, moving around bits and pieces of feathers/sticks tucking the eggs in.

{{{Emy}}}

Tig, {{{prayers niece and nephew}}}

Kb, {{{rescued fawn and rescuer}}} ... we had half inch of a hail storm late yesterday afternoon. 30 minutes of pea size hail storm, gave everything another good soak... Girl Scout cookies just don't taste the same anymore. We bought boxes until we moved here. It's hard to find someone selling them.

Clynn, Mike is limited on how often he can take pain killers such as aleve. He's on blood thinner med, as well as something else that limits any pain meds. He's left for Gila Bend this morning and will be back on Friday or he may drive on to Utah. There's a problem he needs to deal with asap pertaining to GB office and trucking company in Utah... awww soon Harley will be a big bro to his siblings, busy playing with them and acting like a kitten too. Sophie is ready for playtime with big bro.  :-* ... gorgeous pick of Bryce Canyon.

Phyl, Love the owl..... beautiful frosty nature video. Run and hide little rabbit.... Thank you for today's RRP update on The North family and Goose...  I watched Mother and Father Goose last night, he left after a while. It was a very windy night for Mrs. Goose. She moved around several times trying to get comfortable on her six eggs.... very interesting Live Science article.

Tsk, Mike has completed allowed PT a year ago. Insurance or medicare will not pay for any more sessions unless he has surgery. PT sessions without coverage costs $185 per session. Interesting about TENS. thanks  :-*

TFT got startled (and so did I!) when the Virgin Liner it blasted its horn while passing by.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #2656 on: March 19, 2024, 11:49:35 AM »

HAPPY DAY, BEAKERS!  :D

;D

Lani, ugh on ((Mike)) having to tough it out with his back pain. Maybe he'll book an appt with another doc for a 2nd opinion?  It was fun raising Sweet Pea from a little chick - handfeeding her formula, and then teaching her to eat solid food eventully, learning to perch, flap, and eventually fly... all the milestones baby birds go through from hatch to adult. She was a Quaker Parrot, also called a Monk Parakeet or Monk Parrot - the same kind Oldguy and a few others were mentioning a couple of days ago in The Beak. Sweet Pea was domestically bred in the USA, as were her parents, but there are some feral colonies in the USA, who are offspring originally from escapes. Not all of those feral colonies have survived. I remember seeing them in pairs in the tall Palm Trees along the edge of the beach in Ft. Lauderdale, back around 2003 0r 2004, when I was vacationing there during Spring Training days for the Baltimore Orioles baseball team. They were so cute way up in the trees, just chattering away and watching the world, the ocean, the sands, and the beach life, go by. Sweet Pea lived till May, 2015, and she was 22 years old, having hatched on Feb. 10, 1993. I started taking care of her when she was only 2 weeks old, and she came home with me fulltime just a few weeks after that, when she was maybe only 5 weeks old. I still miss her, and whistling the theme to The Andy Griffith Show with her, LOL - it was her favorite song, and I would play it for her often because it made her so happy!!  :D  :-* :-* :-*

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 01:34:22 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

kbshcb

« Reply #2657 on: March 19, 2024, 12:49:41 PM »

Thursday snow total predictions, 2.5 inches.....tolerable.

Sunday: 8.8 in just a 24 hour period....followed by 3 plus inches day after and more after that.

Don't know how 8.8 inches is even possible in 24 hours?..oh I suppose. ;)

kb I was just noticing the Spring snow forecast for MSP over the next week.   ::)

MSP is at 14.3 inches so far for this season.
The normal average for the season is 54 inches at MSP.

Looks like you'll be adding something to the 2023/2024 season, but I'm a bit skeptical about the amounts the Models are spitting out this far in advance.

Good thing you got your lawn mowers all revved up and ready to go ay'.   ;)

LOL, laughed out loud for sure!
Joke is on me!.
Still trying to think about where to store my snowblower and lawn mower before it hits....
Mower in garage ,single car garage and big SUV, and snowblower now on side of house...
Never before have fit both in the garage at the same time.

Somehow on Friday I'll figure it out.

Lani - both Chris and Scott have had and used tens units for years and years....very helpful in the short term.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 12:53:24 PM by kbshcb »

baziunc

« Reply #2658 on: March 19, 2024, 12:50:45 PM »

Clynn, it sounds like Harley is getting more curious and comfortable being near Sam and Sophie!  :) :-* :-*  LOL on Parallelogram Season!!  ;D

TSK, I can understand the indoor skating rink being kept pretty chilly. How was lunch with The Girls?

Lani, thanks for the Royal Albie report. I bet the new cam will be nice to have, especially with night viewing abilities. It's nice to know that the TF and TFT chicks will get supplemental feedings from the rangers if they need it.  :-* :-* I wish the ships wouldn't blare their horns near the nesting areas, unless they really need to for safety reasons.

Phyl, I often read a lot of posts before I reply, so I don't always remember exactly who 1st mentioned a topic that several people have commented on. Sorry I mis-remembered that is wasn't you who mentioned the handwriting. That's too bad about your azaleas.

Lisa, that sounds like a yummy lunch you and Jeff had yesterday! Lots of good things on the menu - and with interesting tasty twists. Mmm!  :)

Karen, glad your grocery order was only slightly amiss. Maybe you could give your extra cabbage to a neighbor. Glad you and Piper have been able to enjoy some porch time.  :)

Tig, enjoy Spa Day!  :)

KB, maybe they will be wrong on the total snow forecast for your area... it sounds like the forecast models are not in agreement. Fingers crossed.

BL. I sounds like some of the weather forecasters aren't completely sold on the total snow forecast for the MSP area either.

Puff, are things going better with your new computer/software yet?

Emyr, brrr!! Yes, that's a big swing in your temps! There have been some big swings here, also, but not as cold, of course, as where you are!  :)

Pretty blue skies here today! Also much chillier temps and a north wind - as so many are experienceing... then it will be much warmer again tomorrow.  Up and down, then up and down.  :D

Later gators!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 12:55:36 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #2659 on: March 19, 2024, 02:05:47 PM »

I forgot this in my post... for those following the NCAA Men's Division 1 Basketball Tournament... There are several versions from various sports news outlets, but this is one I liked.

NCAA Tournament, brackets, game schedules, and their TV channels and times, as known at the time, and it will update as the tournament progresses:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/ncaa-tournament/bracket/

It's interactive, so you can point an dclick for more info.

LisaG1967

« Reply #2660 on: March 19, 2024, 02:58:17 PM »

kb - The deer video made me LOL, and also reminded me the backyard critters.  Pepe' bringing his family members and stinking up the place!

tsk - Yes, I do!  I was trying to give her the benefit of doubt that maybe she had a tickle in her throat.  This was no tickle.  ;D

Lani - Aww, TFT getting startled by the cruise horn.  ((Mike)) I have a TENS machine, and it has worked wonders on my neck.  I think I might have told the story when Jeff first turned it on, he turned it up real high, and shocked the you know what out of my neck.   ::)

baz - Thanks for sharing your pic and story about Sweet Pea. 

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #2661 on: March 19, 2024, 04:29:33 PM »

bounce

Spa day postponed to Saturday... so we went to get my discounted bday sirloin steak at lunch. I brought half home and most of the browned potatoes and a turtle cheese cake slice. Camper dug out some sprouts of pear tree still trying to live from our old tree. He then headed out to go shopping. Hint.  ;)

https://theplaceforsteak.com/birthday-club/

BBL
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #2662 on: March 19, 2024, 05:50:08 PM »

Jim  is ill---again for the umpteenth time.   ::)   >:(     He sounds like a train wreck when he coughs.  I have him home  masked and in bed --- sleeping at a 30degree angle. Lots of tea and chicken soup.  And, yes he's  forbidden to be in contact with Maggie--Feel like  I ought to be  wearing a string of garlic bulbs around my neck.  LOL 
He'll be seeing his PCP tomorrow afternoon.
The yard and landscaping are bit of a  mess.  Reluctantly  I'll have to hire out some work . Our yard/garden aren't level---
with my BPPV there's  just no way I can mow or much else with that steep slop to the willow and ribbon elms.  Not gonna work the front either as my right knee
is acting up. So chilly and windy here.

CLynn   awesome photo Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah

Tsk   :)

KB what a sweet video. Love it. Tks. Also enjoyed the Girl Scout cookies  v ideo; let's hope no more snow

Tig very understandable about your NIL retiring from the  police department; prayers for your niece; dinner 'birthday clubs' are fun

Emy more wildfires for Canada  :'( :'(  the loss of wildlife alone  ...such a delicate balance

Lisa  :)

Lani tks for Royal Albie update---TFT startled by ship's horn, glad there's a new cam with better night vision ; (((Mike)))  ; many thanks for mother/father goose news

Bazi awww 'Sweet Pea'
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #2663 on: March 19, 2024, 06:00:49 PM »

Good Night Everyone...SEDs. 

"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#IstandwithEvan

kbshcb

« Reply #2664 on: March 19, 2024, 06:01:03 PM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1769978998358982946

The ears!....reminds me of Ollie man.

They keep upping the snow amounts.....I just have to keep myself laughing ;)

Puff

« Reply #2665 on: March 19, 2024, 06:34:21 PM »

Well, baz Still a few issues, not good - even more than before.   EEEEEEEEEK!

P

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #2666 on: March 19, 2024, 06:39:53 PM »

EAGLES   Liked your first day of Spring.

LANI   Funny - " night viewing now that our days are getting shorter"   ;) ;)   That's true evidence they are on the other side of the world.   Boy that is one huge cruise ship.   Wish they'd get the word about maybe not sounding the horn in that area.

BAZI   " I wet my plants"  LOLOL  Thanks for that photo and the history of Sweet Pea.  I can see that is your niece as a child similar to adult pics we've seen.  Lunch with girls always fun no matter how many can make it.  We already planned the next one for when Barb is back from Florida and before Jean leaves on an Alaskan cruise with her dtr. in mid May.  Jean lost her husband last June so coming up on a year for her.  We will probably bring lunch to Maureen's house who just broke her tibia and had surgery.   Good song to close out my day. ;)
I did print off a good bracket page but I like yours as it has the times.  Thanks

TIG   Cool that place has a Birthday club.  Don't know many restaurants that do around here.

PHYL   ( Hugs to Jim)  You are a good nurse - the lawn will wait.  Awww goodnight squirrel.

KB    LOLOLOL  On that "Ollie" ears pup.

PUFF   You need to call in a neighborhood kid to help with the new computer  LOLOL
Chicagoland

BrokenLug

« Reply #2667 on: March 19, 2024, 08:05:41 PM »

We only peace out on a Beaker Tuesday evening heading into a Humpday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKGw_hrlaOY&list=RDMM&index=3

Clynn and Tsk.

Descending into the 7 teacups canyon. 

Swimming & Jumping very yes.

Bringing all of your climbing, rappelling, hiking and canyoneering knowledge to stay safe on Dry Meadow Creek is paramount.

This ain't no ramble to bring the pooch on or take lightly.   

https://modernhiker.com/hike/canyoneering-the-seven-teacups/

The Kern River is so very special to me.
The most not good dehydration I have ever been and then drinking water from it.

Every Beak Room upstream member I swear.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QpjR6-Uuks&list=RDMM&index=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9L8npNTME

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 12:09:30 AM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

karengramke

« Reply #2668 on: March 19, 2024, 09:06:34 PM »

The day flew by!  Good posts all!  Bl thanks for the JB!  Anne Murray next up and other great oldies to hear during my last set of 5 for the day!   Thanks Baz for the brackets!  Pretty Bryce .canyon!  Tens, had forgotten them!   Worked with a MD once who wore one! Thanks Tsk!
Phyl and Lani, prayers for your  men! 
Seds

Eagles4evr1116

• Mom Decorah. Fan since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #2669 on: March 19, 2024, 10:28:23 PM »

Clynn - Nice to hear that Harley is getting a little receptive to S&S!!  You sure did right in how you had Harley get used to the kittens scent!  It looks like they will be able to live in harmony together! :)     Love the Park photos!

Tsk -Glad you got some sun today on the 1st day of Spring!  We are forecast for nice days until Thursday.  Supposedly Friday and throughout the weekend, chance of showers and rain likely.

Kb - Thank you for posting that beautiful heart warming vid of the man saving the little deer.  I love how the deer came back to his house! ;D

Tig - Glad dinner was good and hopefully fun with everybody!  Spa day! ;D

Emy - You would like AC at 22 deg?!!   When I got up this morning, our temp inside our house was 66, so i didn't turn on the heater.  I would definitely have the heater on where you are!!

LisaG - Read what you said about the lady in Home Goods coughing . . . . my hubby has the same similar reaction!

Bl - Good info!

Baz - Yes! Technically Spring was arriving this evening!

Lani - Thank you for Royal Albatross info.  Nice that they will be improving on their cams and getting a night cam!

Tig - Yum! steak!  Hope Camper got all on the shopping list!

Phyl - So sorry to hear Jim is coughing so much.  How about a hot toddy at bedtime;  nice hot tea, with a shot of brandy, a little honey and a little squeeze of fresh lemon.

Puff - Hope those issues get figured out!

Karen - You & Piper have a good evening  :)

Beakers have a good night.